“Not honest” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cocos Hotel

You added Cocos Hotel to your Saves list
Cocos Hotel
Av. Malecon de Salinas y Calle Fidon Tomala (esquina) | Sector de Las Palmeras, Salinas 09015657, Ecuador   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Salinas
Atlanta
“Not honest”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We own property in Salinas and know most of the expat community that live there. I contacted Cocos about staying in early August. They said they would not budge on the price because they were in the middle of HIGH season. Did anyone bother to tell then that August is not HIGH season for Salinas? I feel they tried to take advantage of us because we were Gringos. Not Acceptable!!! We contacted several other places for quotes and they all came in much lower than Cocos quoted and all said they were quoting low season rates.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

The staff are all so friendly. The rooms and common areas are immaculate. It's right across the beach and just a couple of blocks from a large supermarket and the local bus terminal with buses to La Libertad.

My room was small without many amenities, but the hot water was a treated. Cable TV. For me, it was just fine.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Lakeside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with a group a couple of years ago, no problems, but because the tour operator took care of all the expense. This time I had booked separately with a friend and after 9 emails they finally acknowledged my reservations. However, when we got there, they charged us more for the rooms. Then as I was checking out, they tried to charge me for water and breakfast that I had paid for individually the previous day. There is no keeping track of the money and the communication gap is one of the reasons but not the total reason for the discrepancies. The first full day we were there they had just hired an english speaking worker. I hesitate to recommend this hotel again because of the lack of bookkeeping.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

First, I had to argue about the room rates after I had confirmed a low rate a few days earlier. Then they were going to charge ~25% surcharge if I used a credit card. The room I was shown was the size of a postage stamp, which I refused. The room I got was only slightly larger. Either the sink or the toilet was leaky since my floor was oftentimes wet. Leaving my notebook to charge on the floor, I discovered tiny red spiders or bugs crawling on, and in and out of it as I began to use it in the dining/bar area. Staff is treated poorly but they seem to muster on. Had to ask for toilet paper; even a towel one day. The waiter, Paulo was very friendly and helpful as along with another of the staff who made sure I got my soap and tp. I stayed long enuf to enjoy the New Years fireworks and festivities, i.e., the custom of burning effigies of the previous bad karma. Only plus: located in the heart of the La Playa/Malecon area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We (my husband and I) stayed at Coco’s for four days in May. We really liked it. We like to stay in family-owned nonchain hotels. Coco’s is really cozy. Our room was comfortable. Beds were great. Shower was OK. The A/C was perfect. We had a room facing the ocean and the view was amazing. The oceanview room’s windows are dark on the outside so you can look at the view all day and night long without being observed from outside. The staff was so nice especially the manager Gerri. We asked about all sorts of things…where to eat, where to do our laundry, where to get a taxi. The staff at Coco’s always pointed us in the right direction. The location is really good too. It’s in the middle of strip right across the street from the beach near supermarket, restaurants, pharmacy, little stores with drinks. The nicer beach for bathing is just a short walk away. Some people have complained about noise. We found the hotel to be fine and were not disturbed by any noise although we did stay during a nonpeak time. The price was fair for what we got. They make you pay for the whole stay when you arrive. We liked this because it made our checkout super fast. We have no complaints. Great, well-run hotel with good service and comfortable accomodations. If we go back to Salinas, we’d definitely stay at Coco’s again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

overall this place is good. the owners are very nice people, and very helpful, but the staff members are a little slow to respond, unenergetic, and just kind of there. not frienly but not mean. we got a superior room w/o oceanview. it was fine, a bit small, and the bathroom is tiny, but for beachfront and about $50/night what do u expect? the bed was very small for two of us, but my g/f liked the bed. im 6'3 so that may be why i thought it was small. the bar/lounge/reception area is nice and has a good atmosphere. the immediate area and along the malecon is safe and clean, but dont stray too far back into town.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

Once we arrived at this hotel after having beren asked to pay up front, which is something we had never done before in Eucador, we noticed that the rates for this place were more in tune with a large hotel that had everything to offer, but unfortunately, this place had very little to offer. No wi-fi, no view of the sea , even for the 70$ room rate, which is exceptionally high, considering the other places on the boardwalk that we spent time in after we left this place on the second day of our planned 7 day stay. A room in another building on the other side of the street and with no view whatsoever was just too much of a stretch for us, even though we consider ourselves not very demanding.

The resataurant was poor, service was not a highest priiority, and it seemed rather clear that the owners simply wanted to see the money instead of being sincerely interested by their client's needs. We had to ask for the salt and pepper, for the marmalade, for a plate to put our toast in,for the napkins, etc....

An exception that needs to be mentioned was the gentlemen who served us when we did arrive. I think his name Jerry. Although he did his best to make us feel at home, we personally felt that he was under a lot of pressure and we sincerely hope that he finds his way going forward, because this place did not seem like a very good place to work.

No discounts for longer stays was a turn-off. Also, when we decided to leave, the owner was going to charge us three days when we stayed just two, and 20$ that we overpaid on the deposit was never given back to us when we checked-out.

All in all, when we compare this place to all the other places we have stayed in Ecuador, from Cuenca to Guayaquil to Quito and Manta, this had to be the least comfortable and welcoming, and the rates were simply outrageously out of whack with what was offered. It is clear that if this place does not change its view of how it needs to do business, it will be surpassed by it competitors rather quickly once the word gets out.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cocos Hotel? Share your experiences!