“Good value and great breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Red Booby

You added Hotel Red Booby to your Saves list
Hotel Red Booby
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Plazas y Charles Binford | Isla Santa Cruz, Puerto Ayora, Ecuador   |
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
Somerset
“Good value and great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed here in July 2014 whilst on a school expedition. We all enjoyed our stay. The rooms were absolutely fine; very clean and we had no problems with noise, we didn't use the air con as the weather was warm but not hot.

The general feeling was that of all the hotels we stayed in in Ecuador and Galapagos this was the best breakfast. Lots of fresh juice, cereals, fresh fruit and a good hot breakfast of sausage scrambled eggs and pancakes, Lots of coffee available. The staff were friendly and helpful and although we only stayed there one night the overall impression from the whole group (32 of us) was very positive, I doubt I will ever go back but would happily stay there again if I did.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Morgantown, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

A nice hotel near the downtown and dining areas. Beds are comfortable, rooms are spacious, included breakfast is good, the pool is nice, staff are friendly. Significantly overpriced for the area, though, so I will go elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: It would be nice to have a room with a balcony if you need a place to hang and dry clothes.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Guayaquil, Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

It wasnt the best hotel of santa cruz, but it was ok, we do what we have to do, also my bf and I sleep on the rooms that are in the back so we didnt have problems with the street noise, the breakfast was fine.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
conneticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I had a terrible experience at The Red Booby. I am a retired teacher from Greenwich, CT and have traveled extensively...This is a horrible place to stay...Way overpriced... will come and take a bed out of your room at their convenience, limited hot water, poor breakfast and a 1962 time warp... when within walking distance is a facility with three beds, a hot shower/bathroom in the room, AC for $25 total for the room...

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
buc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I m 64 yars old.i treveled all over the world , bat like hotel Red Booby so badly in all l ve never yet seen !
Thes hotel should be closed,and make it an animal barn,for haw îs it!! Miserable: street noise,( Windows shoddy),noise from air condicioners,wich are taken from ancient old factory !
Bathrooms smells horrible,tap water flows funny and smells bad !
I ve bruched my teeth using water from the butlles!
The pool îs full of algae - its sliperry on the bottom and there îs not warning sign to tell you haw deep the water is - a Big denger!
Staff îs not trained and alwayas anprepared .
I was waked up at 5 am with violent beatings on my door .. by mistake !! The man had a writen note from raception that ai should wake up a 5! But i was not Fernando!
They noisily washed the terase dayli at 6 am with a hose,and the hollways with mops hittyng the room s doors!!
The staff speaking loudly at 6am from one floor to another .
The laundry is exposed to dray near the pool, disgraceful and dirty.
I will never go back to Galapagos !
I will not recommand anyone to go, as long as this kind hotels exists and whatever you can see there !
To mach ardvertising and noise for a place with lack of interes and beauty.
Better than go to Galapagos stay homme and relax !!

• Stayed June 2013
buc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Bathrooms smells horrible,tap water flows funny and smells bad !
I ve bruched my teeth using water from the butlles!
Staff îs not trained and alwayas anprepared .
The staff speaking loudly at 6am from one floor to another .
The laundry is exposed to dray near the pool, disgraceful and dirty.
I will never go back to Galapagos !
To mach ardvertising and noise for a place with lack of interes and beauty.
Better than go to Galapagos stay homme and relax !!

• Stayed June 2013
Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Red Booby is a really nice hotel, it is family run and offers really good service. We stayed there with our 2 year old son and 9 year old daughter, we had a delightful time, we enjoyed the rooftop pool and the having the kitchen available to heat our baby bottles. The staff were very accommodating and the place was cleaned regularly. The location is ok.

It was great value for the price we paid, hotels in Galapagos are very expensive compared to other places around the world, therefore do expect a high price tag on basic properties.

The rooms are basic, they have AC and private bathrooms.

My only recommendation for the hotel would be to hire English speaking staff. We speak Spanish, yet other travelers did have a hard time communicating their needs.

It also has to do with managing expectations: Foam matresses not orthopedic but with good clean linen, basic quality bathroom amenities (nothing great), no lifeguard at the pool, breakfast was basic yet well prepared (bread, butter, jam, eggs, juice and coffee - nothing gourmet). We cant complain, the price we paid was good for the Galapagos Islands.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floors are nice and allow an easier access to the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Red Booby? Share your experiences!