“A great ending to our Galapagos Trip” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Barrio Punta Estrada, Puerto Ayora, Ecuador   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
Chicago, Illinois
“A great ending to our Galapagos Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed at Finch Bay for two nights after spending 8 days cruising the islands (see my review on the Anahi yacht). Off the beaten path, you take a water taxi for a few minutes to a shared pier, and then walk about 10 minutes down a path. Then, there it is! a lovely hotel. I spent a lot of time searching for hotels, and glad I decided on Finch Bay. I chose this place because they have a beach and a pool, most hotels here do not. My friend was there for a day on her own while myself and two others went diving. The manager, Xavier (aka Tito, from Quito) spent time with her and she had a nice day just relaxing by the pool. The breakfast was very nice, good selection of items and fresh juices. Free wifi in the lobby area, although the signal isn't the greatest. When I got to the hotel after diving, I arrived to find two bottles of wine and a card from my boyfriend, who arranged it via email with Xavier. What a nice surprise and Xavier was great at arranging that. Spent a fun night just playing cards in the lobby on their comfy chairs and drinking our wine. The rooms are good sized and clean. Hammocks for each room is a nice touch. I wish I could have stayed another day. Thanks Finch Bay!

Room Tip: We just had a garden view room which was just fine. From what I could see I bet the rooms with the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is good....not great. I arrived on Dec 29th and found that my reservation was missing. They blamed Expedia and told me that there wasn't a room available on the 31st (New Years Eve!). I was offered a room that the workers use for $180 per night, which was 100% unacceptable for anyone traveling from the U.S. that expects suitable conditions. Therefore, I had to spend hours of precious time figuring out logistics and stressing out after 1.5 days of travel.

The real situation -
1. The hotel is a serious walk from where the water taxi drops you off. Yes, you have to take a water taxi every time you want to go into town. Granted, it is only .60-1. per person each way depending on the time of day.
2. While they do have the only hotel with a beach on the island, the beach is not private and is packed with locals. Hope you like the pool because that's where you will be!
3. The garden view room is small and it is hardly a garden that you want to look at. It should be called the shrub view room.
4. The service is great as long as you don't have a problem. If you have a problem, forget receiving any customer service.
5. The pool is nice.
6. The breakfast is really good. My advice to the owner is to put up a net,so people don't have to compete with the birds for their food. That was a little gross.

Overall - My problem with Finch Bay comes down to value. I had to stay at three different hotels due to my reservation issue and now have a very different perspective of the hotel. I think the Angermeyer is by far a much better value. The hotel was $100 cheaper per night and the people were beyond phenomenal in helping me. Also, they are at the water taxi stop, so I didn't have to walk 5-10 minutes every time I wanted to leave the hotel. In closing, Finch Bay had an opportunity to take responsibility for my reservation missing and at least try to contact Expedia. Instead, they just transferred blame and basically told said I was out of luck. After 3 flights, 2 buses and 2 water taxis, as well as countless hours of traveling time, the last thing you want to hear is that you don't have a reservation.

Room Tip: Don't get the garden view room. I had room number 1 and it was uninspiring.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
finchbayhotel, Gerente at Finch Bay Eco Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear michaelxvalmont,

Thank you very much for your review, we appreciate all your comments but i want to clarify some things:

We did not blame anybody, on the contrary, we did the best we could to help you out with your booking in a very high season (new year´s eve), we apologized with you and your wife, we were honest and we told you the truth about the options we had for you, your booking was only for 2 nights 29th and 30th, not for the 31st.

As you know you got a room at the Hotel the first night, for the second night we offered you a room in my house and the rate was $100 us with taxes and breakfast included, besides your dinner and bottle of wine was on the house the first night, our only intention was to apologize and make you feel welcome, we understood the situation and the bad time you had when you arrived.

Finally, i am glad you found what you were looking for at the Angermeyer Hotel, it is a beautiful place and its staff is amazing, we know them all.

Xavier

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Xavier Burbano de Lara T., the general manager, and his staff provided excellent service in delivering a gift from the hotel's bar to my girlfriend and her party during a recent stay. He was extremely responsive via email and very attentive to the details of my request. I even decided to modify my request after placing the initial order and he handled it without pause. Extremely professional, courteous and a true pleasure to interact with.

I've yet to visit Finch Bay, but based on my very positive exchanges with Xavier, I have no doubt they treat all their guests equally well and provide a great experience for them. Thank you, Xavier. I truly appreciated your help. And to Xavier's boss - give him a raise - he deserves it!

Stayed January 2013
finchbayhotel, Gerente at Finch Bay Eco Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Rebel4141,

Thank you very much for your review, you are very kind. It was a pleasure to serve you and i look forward to meet you someday, maybe for your honeymoon? you must see the beauty of the Galapagos!

Xavier
linwood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We recently had a two night stay at this very pretty place. It was part of a land/sea Galapagos tour. The front desk was very knowledgable and helpful regarding their ability to coordinate with our tour company for departures and our itinerary while there. There was no charge for towels, (and they were plush and plentiful) or the pool for that matter (so I don't get the previous review!) Marine iguanas and beautiful birds are everywhere. The rooms where spacious and the shower was great. We really enjoyed breakfast (a buffet), however we were a party of 10, so dinner took way too long. If you like to "dine" than you will enjoy dinner, however we were tired from our full days, and found the dinner menu limited, expensive, and again too long an experience. I highly recommend going into town and eating at the pizza place (right in the center). The food is great...beer ice cold, inexpensive and not a huge wait. The town is undergoing a huge expansion, and there are tons of side streets opening with cool shops and great bargains. This is a great option for those who want to see the Galapagos from a land-based property. There are several others that are being (or have been) built so do some research, but this was very nice.

Room Tip: There are not that many rooms so they are all good....this is not a huge place!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear sksm,

Thank you very much for your review, we hope you had great holidays in the Galapagos Islands. Thank you for your feedback, we work hard every day to improve all our services, you comments are very important and we appreciate them all.

Ponte Vedra Beach, fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Finch Bay is a great place to use as a base to explore the Galapagos Island. The rooms are very modern and well designed. The resort is a great place to return to after a day of exploring the islands. The food is good, not great, but you don't go to the Galapagos for the food. I must say the service is exceptional. Tips are included, but you get extra care if you tip. They love Americans in the Galapagos.

The tour packages are first rate. Don't even question spending money on the tour packages, just do it. The resort's yacht and included meals are worth every penny. The guides have a really good knowledge of all aspects of the islands.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear kenzo32082,

Thank you very much for your review, we are very happy to know you had great holidays in the Galapagos Islands, it was a pleasure to meet you and have you as our guest, we do love Americans for sure as well as we love people from all over the world visiting this unique National Park.

Best regards

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Location , location, location , quite stunning , perched on the beach over looking the bay , couple of things to look out for , no towels at the pool it will cost you $10 to use the pool , lunch was great , very nice bar area , very friendly staff shame the made such a meal of the use of the pool .

Room Tip: Take your own towel .
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear EddieCarroll,

Thank you very much for your review, our location is a blessing and we love it too!
Regarding your comments about the pool: we do charge 10 us to the non-guests tourists coming to the Hotel to enjoy its facilities, you were not a guest at the Hotel and you were informed about our company policy. I am glad to know you enjoyed your lunch and i hope you had great holidays in Galapagos!

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

What will I remember about Finch Bay?
-Awesome Food
-Great Service, great location,
-The staff was always willing to help and worked hard for you!
-Carlos was top notch! He worked hard to get us a fishing trip on our one free day! It was well worth it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear dbeers2618,

Thank you so much for your review, we are delighted to know you have good memories of your trip, the Galapagos Islands are unique and for sure every single visitor will have unforgettable memories, what will we remember about you: beautiful and kind people, nature´s lovers like us!

Warm regards

Xavier Burbano de Lara T.

Been to Finch Bay Eco Hotel? Share your experiences!