“great hotel for a landbased galapogos vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Silberstein
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Charles Darwin y Piqueros, Puerto Ayora, Ecuador   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
New York, New York, United States
“great hotel for a landbased galapogos vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

we used this hotel as our home base for our trip. It was very clean, nice looking, great pool and helpful staff. WE got the full package. I recomend getting a breakfast package but not the full food deal. I missed trying some of the local resturants. The restraunt is Very nice. THe pool is a great treat at the end of the day. the location is perfect. a 5 minute walk to the Dawin Center. You can walk all of the harbor area and back to the hotel in 15 minutes. Note: be ready with some spanish. Ordering food and asking questions will be easier for you if you have some simple knowledge of spanish. You'll be glad of it for your entire journey and the stay at the hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

After sailing around the islands of Galapagos it is nice to have a few relaxing days. Hotel Silberstein was the right place for me. Here I found not only a comfortable room, a nice garden with a pool and, most of all, a good restaurant. The staff is very helpful and the manager Jan and his wife Kat seem to be able to organize all the extras you want (including a birthday party).

The hotel is near the Charles Darwin Reserach Centre and Puerto Ayora is right outside the hotel with all the service a rather small city like this can offer..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I stumbled upon this fine establishment and had lunch there just prior to leaving on an 8-night cruise. What a blessing that chance encounter turned out to be. The lunch was delicious. Our fish was so fresh and the owner presented as so kind, informative, and interactive. We noted that he was very active during lunch service ensuring that all customers were smiling and well taken care of.

When we returned to Puerto Ayora 8-days later, we had planned to remain on Santa Cruz for a few more nights yet we had not made hotel reservations ahead of time. Though I would not advise rolling the dice as we did and just showing up and hoping Hotel Silberstein has a room available, we were fortunate that they were able to accommodate us for a few nights! (FYI: Although we did not mind because we were so glad they could accommodate us last-minute, we did have to change rooms once because they were booked solid.)

The German-American couple who oversee operations in the hotel and restaurant were a delightful couple who offered useful tips for exploring the island. Because of them, we were able to enjoy an afternoon on an off-the-beaten-path beach and we were also able to visit an interesting little place that makes coffee (Lava Java). This coffee is to die for- organic and hand-picked!! We are still enjoying our Lava Java having brought some back to the states with us.

We would definitely recommend Hotel Silberstein as one of the top choices for moderately priced lodging in Puerto Ayora. The pool is perfect for a quick little dip to cool off and that area is surely a garden oasis. It was a quiet and peaceful place on the main drag in a great part of town near some higher end stores (like Tattoo which sells quality outdoor gear). We had ample hot water and ample internet service- although it must be stated that internet service all over the island (as you can read in other lodging reviews) is not as quick or reliable as it is in the states.

Lunch and dinner in the restaurant were excellent. In fact, not being a big sashimi fan, I must say I was encouraged by the owners to try theirs because the fish is so fresh. I am glad I did because I loved it. We also had sushi at Red Mangrove (which was good) but it did not compare to the meal we enjoyed on our last evening at Hotel Silberstein. All in all, we are just glad to have had the Hotel Silberstein experience while in Puerto Ayora.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Silberstein for 3 nights. The hotel is basic but charming, with a lovely outdoor restaurant (and indoor) serving fresh heathy food that was aesthetically presented and well prepared.

Our hosts, Jan & Kat, went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed our time there. In particular, Jan helped us plan a kayaking / hiking / touring / biking adventure around the island, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

If you're looking for a friendly, hospitable place that's well located, we would highly recommend Hotel Silberstein.

Jo-Lynne & Peter

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed 4 days/3 nights at this hotel. We had a package that included all meals and day excursions. I first must say that the food at the hotel was phenomenal! We were very impressed! Next, the owner and his wife (I'm forgetting their names!) are super nice and very accommodating. The lobby and outside areas are very nice and enjoyable. The only thing I would say is that the rooms could be updated. You can tell the bathrooms are recently renovated as they are very nice. I feel this is very minor though because everything was exceptional. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! The location is great too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Essex County, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at Hotel SIlberstein for my 3-night visit to the Galpagos Islands. I found the location to be great - walking distance to Charles Darwin Station and to "downtown" Puerto Ayora.

First, about the hotel:

The hotel grounds are very pleasant, with the rooms surrounding a small (though large enough) swimming pool and courtyard. My room faced the street, but there is not much noise in Puerto Ayora at night. The room itself was nice - very clean, A/C, king-size bed, desk, and closet. No television, but tha twas fine with me. The bathroom was small but clean. The restaurant/bar at the hotel was very good and reasonably priced. There is also free wifi in the common spaces of the property. I found the staff at the front desk to be very friendly and helpful.

Next, about the town:

I found Puerto Ayoro to be pleasant. Being that is the only real town on Santa Cruz Island, you really have no choice but to stay here. The main street has a ton of souvenir shops and restaurants. I walked around day and night and felt very comfortable. Once you leave the main drag the neighborhoods look to be a bit run-down. The town definitely allows you to feel like you are on an adventure (not your typical Caribbean Island port town - quite a bit rougher around the edges).

And do yourself a favor - ask for direction for the walk through town toTortuga Bay. It is roughly 30 minutes from downtown, but worth every step. This is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, anywhere in the world.

All in all, I would recommend Hotel Silberstein as a base for seeing the Galapagos Islands.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I did not stay at the hotel, but the restaurant had such charming ambiance as I passed by, I ventured inside the hotel to look around, and decided to have dinner there in their outdoor garden restaurant. The grounds are just lovely and romantic, covered with flora surrounding a pool privately nestled in a trove of exotic flora. It is on the route to the Charles Darwin Center. Restaurant prices moderate, service attentive, food fresh and good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Silberstein? Share your experiences!