My husband and I stumbled upon this fine establishment and had lunch there just prior to leaving on an 8-night cruise. What a blessing that chance encounter turned out to be. The lunch was delicious. Our fish was so fresh and the owner presented as so kind, informative, and interactive. We noted that he was very active during lunch service ensuring that all customers were smiling and well taken care of.
When we returned to Puerto Ayora 8-days later, we had planned to remain on Santa Cruz for a few more nights yet we had not made hotel reservations ahead of time. Though I would not advise rolling the dice as we did and just showing up and hoping Hotel Silberstein has a room available, we were fortunate that they were able to accommodate us for a few nights! (FYI: Although we did not mind because we were so glad they could accommodate us last-minute, we did have to change rooms once because they were booked solid.)
The German-American couple who oversee operations in the hotel and restaurant were a delightful couple who offered useful tips for exploring the island. Because of them, we were able to enjoy an afternoon on an off-the-beaten-path beach and we were also able to visit an interesting little place that makes coffee (Lava Java). This coffee is to die for- organic and hand-picked!! We are still enjoying our Lava Java having brought some back to the states with us.
We would definitely recommend Hotel Silberstein as one of the top choices for moderately priced lodging in Puerto Ayora. The pool is perfect for a quick little dip to cool off and that area is surely a garden oasis. It was a quiet and peaceful place on the main drag in a great part of town near some higher end stores (like Tattoo which sells quality outdoor gear). We had ample hot water and ample internet service- although it must be stated that internet service all over the island (as you can read in other lodging reviews) is not as quick or reliable as it is in the states.
Lunch and dinner in the restaurant were excellent. In fact, not being a big sashimi fan, I must say I was encouraged by the owners to try theirs because the fish is so fresh. I am glad I did because I loved it. We also had sushi at Red Mangrove (which was good) but it did not compare to the meal we enjoyed on our last evening at Hotel Silberstein. All in all, we are just glad to have had the Hotel Silberstein experience while in Puerto Ayora.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In 1991 family Silberstein bought the former Residencial Angermeyer from the long Galapagos inhabitants Angermeyer. It was known to be the No.1 destination for information about the Islands. Today it has been rebuilt with all amenities to fulfill the expectations and beyond of our guests from all over the world. Our 24 comfortable rooms are all equipped with individual air condition and have a private bathroom with shower and permanent hot water, heated environmentally friendly by the sun. Our Restaurant offers international food and local specialties prepared by our professional team. For a complete vacation we offer any kind of tours, such as Diving with our attached Dive Center and Daily Tours, as well as airport transfers and in between the different islands. Contact us for more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Hotel Silberstein reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Galextur Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Hotel Silberstein Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz