“Great Customer Service and Food!!!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Silberstein to your Saves list
Hotel Silberstein
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Charles Darwin y Piqueros, Puerto Ayora, Ecuador   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
“Great Customer Service and Food!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed 4 days/3 nights at this hotel. We had a package that included all meals and day excursions. I first must say that the food at the hotel was phenomenal! We were very impressed! Next, the owner and his wife (I'm forgetting their names!) are super nice and very accommodating. The lobby and outside areas are very nice and enjoyable. The only thing I would say is that the rooms could be updated. You can tell the bathrooms are recently renovated as they are very nice. I feel this is very minor though because everything was exceptional. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! The location is great too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Essex County, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at Hotel SIlberstein for my 3-night visit to the Galpagos Islands. I found the location to be great - walking distance to Charles Darwin Station and to "downtown" Puerto Ayora.

First, about the hotel:

The hotel grounds are very pleasant, with the rooms surrounding a small (though large enough) swimming pool and courtyard. My room faced the street, but there is not much noise in Puerto Ayora at night. The room itself was nice - very clean, A/C, king-size bed, desk, and closet. No television, but tha twas fine with me. The bathroom was small but clean. The restaurant/bar at the hotel was very good and reasonably priced. There is also free wifi in the common spaces of the property. I found the staff at the front desk to be very friendly and helpful.

Next, about the town:

I found Puerto Ayoro to be pleasant. Being that is the only real town on Santa Cruz Island, you really have no choice but to stay here. The main street has a ton of souvenir shops and restaurants. I walked around day and night and felt very comfortable. Once you leave the main drag the neighborhoods look to be a bit run-down. The town definitely allows you to feel like you are on an adventure (not your typical Caribbean Island port town - quite a bit rougher around the edges).

And do yourself a favor - ask for direction for the walk through town toTortuga Bay. It is roughly 30 minutes from downtown, but worth every step. This is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, anywhere in the world.

All in all, I would recommend Hotel Silberstein as a base for seeing the Galapagos Islands.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I did not stay at the hotel, but the restaurant had such charming ambiance as I passed by, I ventured inside the hotel to look around, and decided to have dinner there in their outdoor garden restaurant. The grounds are just lovely and romantic, covered with flora surrounding a pool privately nestled in a trove of exotic flora. It is on the route to the Charles Darwin Center. Restaurant prices moderate, service attentive, food fresh and good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
East Molesey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is not a five star hotel but value for money was as good as any. Idea for trips out. located in the centre of the town it is close to the Charles Darwin Centre, fish market and port.
We were a group of 8 and this style of hotel was ideal for us and the staff did everything to make our stay comfortable. Using bottled water for cleaning teeth and washing was a bit of a chore but filtered water was provided.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at The Hotel Silberstein for one night before joining our yacht to sail around the Galapagos Islands. It was chosen by our excellent Holiday Company 'Imagine Latin America' who selected this lovely hotel, really close to The Charles Darwin Centre, that we had told them we wanted to visit.

The hotel is pretty with rooms situated around a lovely pool.

The rooms are basic but very comfortable.

Free use of a laptop in the reading room was an added bonus.

It was perfect for the overnight stay with a smart restaurant with tasty food and a lovely breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We enjoyed our room at this hotel. They provided lots of filtered water, to keep us for needing to buy our own, including tooth brushing water, which was truly appreciated. Our room was basic, but clean and comfortable. The water pressure was extremely low, which was the low point of our stay, making showering impossible at times. We liked the lack of tv and phone (and stand-in brass bell, in case of emergency). We used the laundry service, which was efficient, and appreciated the proximity to the Darwin Center, especially on our last morning, when we were able to go one last time, and got to see the tortoises eating, before our 9 am ride to the airport.
We had the full meal plan, which we would not choose to do again. By our third meal in the restaurant (lunch, dinner, then dinner again) we were tired of the limited choices on the menu. The restaurant completely revamped it for our third night, and we were super excited, until we had to wait close to 2 hours to be served our entrees, due to a glitch in the order entering system... My salad came undressed and warm, my husband's appetizer was on par with 7-11 snacks, and our entrees were bland and unremarkable. The change was nice, but the wait, for mediocre food, was unacceptable. A large tour group, which was seated after us, was served and had left before we received our meals, and a couple the manager knew were also given priority. (The management came up with a lot of excuses about why this happened, but it all left a very bad taste in our mouths for our final night at the property.)
The management did have a great system of keeping track of people's tours: posting it on a large white board in the lobby area. It helped us to remember when we were getting picked up each day for our tours.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed here with a group of 31 travelers just this past week. I thought that the Silberstein was very good given the context of the Galapagos. If you're not paying 5 star prices, you're not going to get 5 star accommodations. I think for the cost the Silberstein was a very good value.
The rooms were clean and cleaned well; the staff was very good; the food was excellent---much better than I had expected.
It is a short walk to the Darwin Center; to the town pier, and to the many (well, for the Galapagos, again) bars and restaurants around town.
They also had a small pool--very clean--and were generous with towels.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Silberstein? Share your experiences!