“Fantastic Week!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 37 Puerto Ayora B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic Week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I spent a week here on a yoga retreat in July. Rob, the owner/operator was an integral part of the fabulous experience I had during the entire trip. He is high energy, enthusiastic, and makes a great guide. He and his wife Daysy, along with the local staff were all extremely kind, helpful, and accommodating to all our needs, itinerary changes, dietary restrictions and requests. The lodge is gorgeous and spacious, the rooms and bathrooms are large, comfortable and clean.

Semilla Verde itself is nestled in a paradisical jungle where they grow their own delicious coffee and vegetables. There is a mile of trails to wander and even a giant tortoise who has made their land it's home. Stunning, serene and magical are adjectives that best describe Semilla Verde.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden/jungle are lovely
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Spent 3 nights there recently on our honeymoon. The lodge and rooms are very comfortable and nicely decorated, the food is excellent, and fresh coffee is available all day. We were in room 1 which has a fantastic view over the grounds, and on a clear day you can even see some of the other islands in the distance. We enjoyed relaxing on the hammock on the private balcony, seeing giant tortoises on the grounds, and it's easy to arrange trips into Puerto Ayora. Robert also arrange a day trip to Bartolome for us and suggested some places to go on Santa Cruz. Daysi prepared a lovely meal for us on the last night. I would certainly recommend staying at Semilla Verde.

Room Tip: Room 1 at the top has the best views and I believe is the largest room, but the other rooms all look...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

After researching our Galapagos trip for some time, we eventually decided to use Semilla Verde as our base for a land-based holiday rather than opting for a cruise ship package. This decision was definitely vindicated, not only for the amount of money saved but for the wonderful stay we had at this property. Robert did an excellent job of organising our day-trips before our arrival, all of which ran like clockwork. Great to be able to relax in comfort in the Highlands every evening after some long days out on boat trips visiting the tremendous wildlife nearby. Puerto Ayora is a 15 minute taxi ride away, if you want to visit its' bars and restaurants, or buy the tacky tourist trinkets. All the staff were fantastic, and served up some wonderful meals on the days we ate in. Highlight is drinking their delicious coffee on your own private verandah as giant tortoises wander by!

Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Believe all the hype,Semilla Verde is a great place to relax away from the (relative)hustle and bustle of Puerta Ayora and the complimentary daily one way taxi ride largely offsets any downside to being a distance out of the town.

Robert and Daysi have converted their former home into very comfortable guest accommodation set in a beautiful coffee plantation and natural grounds. The rooms are well appointed ,spotlessly clean and comfortable and the food and service provided by their staff was excellent.The atmosphere is similar to a European ski chalet transplanted to the Equator!

Robert's help with planning our diving and cruise itinerary were spot on(Cruise reviewhere:

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Imagine waking up to a view overlooking a lush canopy of Scalesia trees with the ocean as a backdrop, smelling the brew of coffee that is grown on site, and sitting down to a hospitably served breakfast each morning. Our trip to the Galapagos and our stay at Semilla Verde were once in a lifetime experiences. We were celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary and my husband’s 50th birthday. My husband had read the reviews of Semilla Verde and had carefully chosen the perfect setting for our special celebrations. Robert (owner of Semilla Verde) made certain that our 7days were expertly booked to provide just the right mix of adventure (snorkeling with sea lions, frolicking in Tortuga Bay, wildlife spotting, and walking tours with knowledgeable guides) relaxation (blissful boat rides), and excellent Ecuadorian meals (thank you Evelyn and Daysi). After full days one was able to retire to the peaceful, romantic setting at Semilla Verde to reflect on the excitement of the day, or to stay in town for a time to soak up the local culture. Our stay at Semilla Verde exceeded our expectations and made the memories of our celebrations unforgettable. (thank you Robert and crew)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Your host at this lodge is Robert. He is a pleasant guy and a veritable walking tour guide for his island home of Santa Cruz. I had many questions about this mysterious island that managed to elude detail and description of its activities and attractions, even from within Ecuador. Robert quite patiently answered all of my 250 emails that I sent him with a least as many questions about it (JOKE...I am joking!)

Robert organized my arrival and a typical local lunch was provided to me once there. He accommodated my vegetarian diet preference AND a severe food allergy as well (It is indeed a daunting task to cook for me and many dare not). The meal was delicious and served to me by his charming staff- two endearing local women who always smiled at me no matter how badly I mangled and destroyed their beloved Spanish language.

Rooms were well appointed and I had probably the largest wooden room closet in a lodge that I had ever seen before..wow..at least 6 other people could have used that closet with me and I would not even have noticed them! My bed was large and comfy and I had a beautiful hammock from which I watched the stars at night and listened to the sounds of the highland forest in the day. The ensuite bathroom was expansive and was thoughtfully equipped with the needs of the travelling unwashed. The room provided many conveniences that I did not even use like a hair dryer, tv, safe, etc....SOAP teehee.

Although I travelled alone this past trip, this lodging concept is very well suited to groups and in particular, yoga groups as it boasts a separate yoga studio on the grounds. Within the lodge there are many common areas to convene with your group and/or friends. There is a kitchen available as well which I appreciated very much.

Semilla Verde is situated a little outside the port however it is but a quick 15 minute cab ride away and Robert was kind enough to reimburse my daily trips in and out of the town. The commute afforded me the privilege to chat with probably all the island's cab drivers and gave me a unique opportunity to spread my bad Spanish over a wider region.

Would I return? DEF! AND I have been taking intensive Spanish classes since I returned home so watch out when I do return because I have added more vocabulary with which to torture native speakers!

Thanks again, Robert! (or was it Fred...JOKING) See you again within the year!

Superfood Chef Michelle

Readers: Thanks for reading my review and if it helped at all please hit that button below and give Trip Advisor feedback for this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Situated on Santa Cruz in the highlands in a lush coffee plantation . Simple but lovely rooms, clean. Plenty of hot water. Lots of communal space to use. Rob organised a really good itinerary for us which was excellent. We had a few really excellent meals at the house which i would heartily recommend. Breakfasts were lovely though a bit of variation might have been nice as we stayed for 8 nights. Lots of lovely walks around the plantation and birds and tortoises. One free there and back taxi to the local main town included which was great. Lovely staff. we would certainly recommend a stay here and I would go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Semilla Verde Galapagos Lodge? Share your experiences!