“Galapagos Safari Camp, A unique and very special taste of Galapagos ... and a great base of operations”
It is hard to figure out how and where to start this review, but here's an attempt at a summary in no particular order:
- A fabulous scenic property in the northern part of Santa Cruz Island, a perfect location, below the mist and above the heat, sunrise and sunset are not to be squandered ... enjoy them when you have them, views of Santiago Island to the northwest, Baltra, Bartolome and Daphne major/minor to the north can be had when the Garua (mist) lifts
- The safari camp/tent theme works really well as a differentiator from the ordinary without compromising comfort, dining and appropriate luxury. The lodge is very comfortable and inviting, each evening you are greeted by a fire, an offer of a cocktail and sharing stories/photos of the day's adventures, do Not miss a trip or two to the "observation platform" ... this is a wonderful large raised viewing platform with a great shots to the north and northwest and superb place to have a glass or two of wine or your favorite spirit
- Our tent was very comfortable, clean and cozy, the platform beds were firm but comfortable, turn down service included a fleece covered hot water bottle to keep your feet warm if you run a little on the cool side, either way it is a nice touch and indicative of the attention to detail provided by GSC. The bathroom in the tent was fine as was the shower which had plenty of pressure and hot water which was welcome after a long hard day of photographing the creatures of the Galapagos. The north looking views were wonderful.
- Catherine (Property Manager), Felipe (Executive Chef), Liz and Waldo (pm shift managers) made all of the difference with their desire to acccomodate and make the trip special and comfortable ... yeah sounds cliche ... but they are special folks, spend some time with these folks as they will be more than happy to do the same and you will learn and laugh
- Food, especially dinner was excellent under the guidance and skill of Chef Felipe, we mixed it up with regular and vegetarian options and all were exceptional, Chef loves to talk food as you might expect ... Catherine, Felipe and a fellow guest, Joshua made my wife's birthday a very special evening, we laughed .... boy did we laugh
- Daily island excursions via the Narel I & II (the crew prepares an impressive home cooked lunch each day from scratch in the tiny galley of the boat) to Bartolome, Seymour and Plazas were all you would expect in your photographic dreams of the Galapagos Islands, just lag behind the group and you will have the opportunity to take fine shots without humans in the shot
- Do not take for granted the hand-picked Naturlist/Guides (Dries, Jaime, Alejandro) and drivers (Milton) as the trip would have a whole lot more overhead without them being pre-arranged, and their knowledge seems so matter of fact that you could take it for granted, we had VIP treatment from the moment we arrived in Galapagos until we departed, you are definitely not running with the herd
- Bottom line, if you want a unique experience that is very comfortable, relaxing and satisfying, you would be hard pressed to find a better land-based option in the Galapagos, We will savor it for months and years to come. Thank You Catherine, Felipe, Waldo, Liz, Lyndsey, Dries, Milton!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.