“Great dive at kicker rock” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Great dive at kicker rock”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

While in the galapagos we took a dive tour with wreck bay at san cristobal. We had a great day and a fantastic experience! Our divemaster was very professional, starting out with a short check dive to see if al the gear is working properly going to kicker rock. Arriving at the dive site, a thourough explanation of the site is given befor getting into the water. There is also a great nature guide on board to explain about all the wildlife on the way.

Since my husband had some earproblems he went snorkeling with the nature guide, seeing tons of marine life as well.

Highly reccommended dive operator!

London, United Kingdom
“Best diving centre on the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

After doing a refresher with Jimbo from Galápagos Underwater Expeditions, I went diving with these guys to Kicker Rock. As previous reviewers, we went diving with Angel and Shay. Ivan was the naturalist and also took care of the snorkling. On the boat was also the captain, plus in total 6 diving customers and 4 snorkelers. They can take up to 12 in total, with a max of 8 divers. We did a check dive, then 2 dives with an hour rest between of up to 50 minutes each depending on your breathing. Then spent some time on the beach. Snacks were nachos and bananas. Lunch salad and sandwiches. As to the instructors, Angel and Shay both felt very experienced and trustworthy. There were no issues on the trip. Equipment was top notch. I got a 3 mill shorty plus a 7 mill full wetsuit, which is needed this time of the year. I also recommend taking proper warm clothing for the break to fully warm up - loads of people were cold out and I was cold on the second dive. Anyway, both wetsuits were really nice. Some friends of ours went to Kicker Rock with Chalo Diving, only got one 7 mill full wetsuit, complained about is quality and holes in it and were freezing. The only thing here was that the neoprene shoes were a touch smelly in their dry state, but that was very minor indeed. Given all the other dive shops we saw I would definitely recommend these guys as the best on the island. It is, however, a dive to dive - one guide in front, 1 in the end, up to 8 divers in the middle. 4 divers or less only get 1 guide. If it has been a while and you need a dive review I'd first go to Jimbo first for 1 to 1 personal attention. Chalo would have dropped their pricing from 160 to 140 if we would have booked with our friends and been 4. The two of them still paid 160. Here the price was 150 and not dropped, but then we were only two when asking and in the end only 1 of us went. Didn't feel likely though. Also, bear in mind that they have a fixed itinerary and as such can't do Kicker Rock everyday. In other words, I felt that pricing was honest and transparent and wouldn't hesitate booking them before arrival on the island - that also allows timing your trip to coincide with the diving you want.

Visited October 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“PADI course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I did my PADI open water course at the Wreck Bay Diving Center. The course was good and my instructor was clear and very helpfull. After my course I joined for a trip to Kicker Rock, which was well organized and ofcourse a great experience!

Visited August 2013
Houston, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Exceeded Expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

In terms of the marine life it seems that you can't really go wrong when choosing a dive center in the Galapagos islands. What makes the difference is the attitude of the dive center both toward their clients and toward the marine life.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Wreck Bay Diving Center due to the fact that our dives with them were organised through the company that organised our Galapagos tour, Galakiwi. However, I found Angel and Shay at Wreck Bay to be very professional, safe and importantly for me, they seemed to respect the marine life, certainly more so than the other dive centre we used later in the trip. It seemed important to them that we enjoyed our dives but also our time aboard the boat. We had a fantastic local tour guide on the boat too, Victoria. She was able to talk at length about the islands, their geology, flora and fauna and having her aboard provided an added bonus to the day.

The diving in the Galapagos islands is challenging relative to many places you can dive. There can be strong currents, surge, swell and poor visibility. Despite this, the richness and diversity of the marine life attracts divers of all abilities. Dive centres typically specify that divers must have a minimum number of logged dives, say thirty, but this doesn't really mean much. Unless you arrange for a private guide you might be stuck in a group with divers much less experienced than yourself and while in many cases this isn't a problem, in others it is, and how the dive centres deal with it can mean the difference between an amazing dive or a disappointing dive.

The gear provided by Wreck Bay was all in good working order and prior to our first dive at Kicker Rock we did a brief check dive in a shallow sandy bay. Following this we had a short time to snorkel with the sea lions there, one of the highlights of the day and the entire trip. On arrival at Kicker Rock, we received a suitably comprehensive briefing. I was diving with a buddy and there were four other divers of varied experience in the group. The way Angel organised the dives meant that the varied experience could be accommodated without compromising the safety or enjoyment of the other divers. Angel and Shay both guided the dives, one up front and one behind, such that when one or more of the less experienced divers ran low on air, they could be escorted to the surface and to the boat by Shay, leaving the rest of us with Angel to enjoy our remaining air and dive time. Contrast this with my (upcoming) review of the Scuba Iguana Dive Center on Santa Cruz.

During our first dive we saw numerous Galapagos sharks, plus pacific green turtles, barracuda, eagle rays, sea lions and countless smaller fish and other creatures. Our surface interval was spent in a nearby bay on San Cristobal, snacks and drinks were provided and we also had time for a brief stroll on the beach guided by Victoria. The second dive, also at Kicker Rock wasn't as spectacular as the first, but it was still great by normal standards. All in all, a very good day and I would certainly recommend Wreck Bay Diving Center and would dive with them again.

Visited July 2013
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
“Best (and cheapest!) day in the Galapagos!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My mom and I came to San Cristobal after forking over 1000 each for a "5 day 4 night" tour on Santa Cruz, which turned out to really just be 3 1/2 days, of course. Those tours were only mediocre, and at around 300 a "day" definitely weren't worth it.

Such was not the case here! We were asking around shops once we got to the island, and initially took the offer here of 80 dollars for a day tour to Kicker Rock and Lobo Island. They said snorkeling was included, but we had no idea it was for the WHOLE DAY (I suppose it is called a dive center though...) which was a pleasant surprise, since any other day tour we'd done on the Galapagos was land hikes for most of the day with an hour of awkward and boring snorkeling thrown into the beach trip at the end of most day tours.

I can't stress enough how great everything was, from our guides to the simple sandwich lunch and fruit/chip snacks between trips into the water (there were a total of 3 for me, each 30 minutes to an hour). As others have said, everyone was so professional and nice. Shay (not sure how you spell it... he's from Israel! :D) and Angel were both great, but since we were on the snorkeling tour we had our own naturalist guide who pointed out tons of cool things in the water. We saw sharks, swam with sea lions, and even chased a graceful sea turtle!

It's funny how our best day in the Galapagos was also the cheapest! Highly recommend this place, and to anyone not visiting the Galapagos on a cruise, PLAN YOUR OWN TRIP. Don't fall into the same trap we did on booking with a travel agency. Not only do you pay for middle men, but you also pay more for exactly the same thing as people who do everything on their own. You can easily book everything once you get there, and you'll have a much more worthwhile time.

Visited July 2013