“Nice place......with a few quirks” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Inn Land of the Sun

Inn Land of the Sun
You added Inn Land of the Sun to your Saves list
Inn Land of the Sun
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Garcia Moreno 1367 y Sucre, Cotacachi, Ecuador (Formerly Hotel El Meson de las Flores)   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Cotacachi B&B and Inns
Columbus, Ohio
“Nice place......with a few quirks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here 2 nights a few weeks back. Thanks to the reviews I was adequately prepared for the church bells. They start ringing at 6am and go every 15 minutes until 6:30. The floors are squeaky without a doubt. Also, our room was along a very busy street in which people hung outside talking and it is a main thoroughfare for bus traffic as well.

However, it is a quaint place with a polite and friendly staff. You have to remember people....you're not in Kansas anymore....it's Ecuador. Stop expecting all your American amenities. Enjoy the time, culture, history and most importantly the people. Cotacachi is a great little town and you are a .45 bus ride from the markets in Otavalo or even the bigger town of Ibarra.

Would I stay here again....sure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Woodland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Coming to Cotacachi after being in Quito, the crisp, cold, and clean air was refreshing. The room was very clean and the real queen sized bed was very comfortable with a firm interspring mattress. The bathroom was a little on the small side, but also nice. Yes, the church bells go off at 6AM, but not as loud as I thought they would be. You can hear the road noise, but it wasn't very often. The room had neither a phone or television which can be a plus or minus depending on your point of view. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Spent the night. Room was comfortable and clean. Bathroom was decent although the shower drained slowly so left us in an inch or so of our water during our shower.

Breakfast was adequate. Dinner was nearly inedible.

The town is quaint, quiet, and not worth more than a night stay and an hour or two stroll. If you love leather, stay longer, but otherwise, you come for a quick afternoon and little more (if you must).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Having been to Cotacachi 4 times now, I always stay here, it feels like home to me. Reading other reviewers comments ... yes the floors are creaky & the church bells do ring, occasionally you hear a car roaring down the street or dogs barking as well. It's my opinion that these things stick out as being "noisy" because otherwise the place is so quiet, abnormally quiet from where I live at least.
It's not a five star chateaux relais, (though there is one in Cotacachi, La Mirage which is wonderful if that’s more your style) but it is a five star experience and treatment from the staff, in the setting of an old (updated) Hacienda style home with large center court yard and a fireplace room (which the will light for you if you like). The staff (who are all local indigenous people) here are some of the most courteous, warm and friendly that I have ever come across. For me I love this place ... I travel for experience and culture of a place and to meet the people, this place does that for me. It's clean and safe and for me quite comfortable.
If you decide to go here, you might enquire ahead of time if there will be a large group like one of the posters mentioned and schedule around it or go elsewhere. Each room is diffrent so ask ahead for a room that meets your needs (i.e.: the quietest room you have) And if things are not as you hoped, ask the guy at the front desk if its possible to switch rooms, in my experience they are very accommodating and will do whatever they can to make your stay pleasant.
The name has changed to Hotel Tierra del Sol, but as far as I can tell the rest remains the same.
All the best, and have a great time in Cotacachi.

Room Tip: Some rooms have street side windows (more noise but also a view of the street and life below), while...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Jackson, Wyoming
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Our first trip to Ecuador, our first hotel and we were so excited to finally get there and get some rest. Not to happen. Firstly on walking in with our luggage and giving them our name, they did not have our reservation. And we were also signed up for a tour through them, which they did not have our name on that list either. They were swamped with a group from Quito's International Living visitors, that decided to drop in...they took us accross the street to a 2 bdrm apt. they owned, and showed it to us asking if we could share this with another lady?!? lol We declined. Mind, our reservations were made months ago...well, they finally juggled 4 other people around, and gave us a room. We were shocked about how noisy it was...the whole place was a huge echo chamber...and the wooden floors squeaked horribly. We could hear the staff, on the bottom floor, in the kitchen starting their day, right after the church bells (right next door) go off at 6 a.m., they do not just ring 6 times either, they go on and on and on .... second morning, no hot water & that nite when it rained heavily the power went off in the sockets we were using for the floor heater and my laptop. Well, bottom line, we think its highly overpriced and highly over-rated. I've never had to write a review before, but I do know people truly like to know from others about their experiences, I know I do.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

We had high hopes based on Gary Scott's websites, but were disappointed. The hotel is an old, renovated building but still has the (presumably) original plank floors which are very noisy (at least on the 2nd floor). They creak and groan with every step, and the noise woke me up in the middle of the night when my wife went to the bathroom--even though I was wearing silicon earplugs! Rooms are sparten; ours lacked even a single comfortable chair, no table or desk, no TV or telephone. When traveling I like to get up early (before dawn) and walk around a new town, watching it come to life. I woke up my wife (and likely our neighbors) with the loud floor squeaks in our room (and later as I walked around the wooden balcony to get to the stairs, I felt guilty for disturbing the occupants of all the rooms I passed). Then, when I was ready to leave and opened the door to our room, it, too, squealed like a banshee (this is an oil exporting country, and they can't oil the door hinges?). When I got to the dark lobby around 6 am, I found I was locked in--I waited and finally a sleepy staff member appeared and unlocked the front door. Forget early coffee or food, the restaurant doesn't open until 7:30--tough luck if you want to get an early start on hiking, etc. Another major problem was that the staff speaks very little English (despite this being the base for Mr. Scott's seminars which target English speakers). They can decipher simple phrases but cannot carry on a dialogue or understand non-routine questions. (By the way, they also bungled an airport pick-up in Quito--we finally had to take a taxi.) Despite having planned to stay longer, we checked out after two nights (I was locked in again the second morning), and moved to a delightful small hotel in Otavalo (a $5, 15-minute taxi ride). My advice to attendees of Mr. Scott's seminars is to stay elsewhere and just show up at the hotel for the meetings. (See our review of La Posada del Quinde in Otavalo for a much more comfortable place to stay.)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

Cotacachi is a small town north of Quito. There is quite a bit to do there, though, from shopping to visiting the lakes to visiting spas. Hotel El Meson de las Flores is 1/2 block from the central plaza, so it is in the middle of things-easy enough to walk the whole town from. The hotel is beautiful, comfortable, and has very attentive staff, who speak English and several other languages.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Inn Land of the Sun? Share your experiences!