“Guesthouse Casa do Sandalo - A hidden pearl in Dili” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pousada Casa do Sandalo, Boutique Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dili
Pousada Casa do Sandalo, Boutique Guesthouse
You added Pousada Casa do Sandalo, Boutique Guesthouse to your Saves list
Rua Belarmino Lobo, Bairro Central | and another building next to the US Embassy, Dili, East Timor   |
Ranked #3 of 17 Dili B&B and Inns
Lisbon, Portugal
“Guesthouse Casa do Sandalo - A hidden pearl in Dili”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I went to Dili for working purposes. First, I stayed at a hotel near the office but I wasn't at all impressed with the service. It was by chance that a work colleague knew about Casa do Sandalo and took me there. I immediately fell in love with the place. It is by far the loveliest guest house I have seen in East Timor. I had to wait a while before they had a vacant room because everyone which takes rooms in Casa do Sandalo is not likely to leave soon. Luckily, after a couple of months, I got my own room and ended up staying for more than two years. Only left when my contract was finished and will certainly return if I go back to Dili.

The Pousada Casa do Sandalo is located, near restaurants, cafes, supermarkets and shops. It is very well maintained, the garden is lovely and the pool quite refreshing. The rooms are lovely, decorated with wooden furniture, nice linens and include private bathroom. There is free Wireless connection, TV, AC, microwave, tea kettle etc. Also, there is a generator so there is no need to worry about power cuts. My room was very clean and cozy. The staff is most friendly and honest; they cleaned and ironed my cloths just perfectly. The owners make sure that one feels at home and our needs are taken care of. They, most probably, will become your friends before your departure. I do recommend this guesthouse to anyone staying in Dili.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Juba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I arrived by chance at Casa do Sandalo and intended to stay only a couple of days. 18 months later, I moved out only because my work took me away from Timor-Leste.

The Pousada is really well maintained, with beautiful gardens, a nice pool, and fantastic, friendly, and honest staff. The owners make sure that all guests are personally looked after and will likely become your friends before the end of your stay.

I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I went to Dili for working purposes, it was not easy to find a nice, clean and good place to stay. After searching and searching I discovered Casa do Sandalo, one of the best places in town. It is small cozy, the owner and staff are very nice. The service is personalized. The place is well located walking distance from the main sites in town.

Room Tip: There are two buildings, one in front of the sea, with nice sea views, and the other in downtown. If...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
USA and South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I moved from Plaza Hotel in the center of town to this lovely building adjacent to the Mexican consulate and next to the US embassy along the beach road. Run by the Mexican Consul, this 4-room pousada (guest house) and its sister property more in the center of town (the larger Pousada a Casa Do Sandalo guest house with 8 rooms and a small pool) are in older houses/complexes and are VERY popular with especially longer-term guests (as long as 6 years, I heard!!). I was lucky and got a room that someone had just vacated after staying there for 2+ months, and I loved it. The rooms are within the Mexican consulate complex, so have 24-hr security (and a large gate outside), and the upstairs rooms have a joint balcony (next door to the large, full common kitchen) that overlooks the beach road and the lovely ocean. A very nice place to sit and watch the water and the traffic outside. The proprietors (Ivan and Andres) are lovely, helpful, and very friendly, and responsive to guests’ needs. You quickly feel like they are friends. The rooms are stylish (with nice linens, pillows, Balinese style wooden furniture, etc), very well equipped with free Wifi, spacious wardrobe, TV, fridge, tea kettle, microwave, AC, and small bathrooms. There is a generator, so power cuts are not a problem. You can hear the street traffic noise outside, but this was only a real problem for one night during my 2-week stay – an unusual Saturday night when it seems like every young guy in Dili was outside partying and racing motorbikes on the beach road. Other than that one night, though, I found that the traffic quiets down by 10PM or 11PM, and only starts up again from about 7AM. This beach road is a busy place, but is lovely early in the morning (if you are up), for walking or jogging and watching the sunset, when there is almost no traffic. The location is great for being on the water, next to embassies, and on the beach road (about 15 mins walk from popular Castaways and Dili Beach bar/restaurants), but not as convenient for shops, other restaurants, etc. However, taxis are plentiful and usually not more than $5, so I did not find this to be a problem (and the water view was well worth any slight inconvenience, for me!). The full kitchen (and fridge and microwave in the room) was a great convenience, in that you can get groceries and cook your own meals. I will definitely stay here again next time in Dili (if I can get a room!!!)…Thanks Ivan and Andres!

Room Tip: I liked my room on beach road, upper level, with balcony overlooking the sea
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

The boutique guest house "casa do sandalo" is a hidden treasure in the middle of Dili.
Excellent location, near banks, supermarkets, restaurants, shops.
Excellent staff, all very nice and kind.
The rooms are all different in size and decoration. The decoration its fantastic.
The swimming pool is great. The gardens are beautiful and well cared.
Only 8 rooms, very private and very quite.
I trully recommend for a long term stay.

Room Tip: its difficult to give a tip because all rooms are different and with distinct style. All great thoug...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I love this place because I feel like at home. In the middle of crazy Dili you can find the perfect haven to write a thesis or just relax by the pool.

You will always find smiley faces among staff, and they will be willing to fix all your problems. Enjoy a small talk with all of the interesting guests staying at Pousada do Sandalo.

Room Tip: All room are great and decorated with amazing taste but it depends on weather you want something sma...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This guesthouse (pousada in Portuguese) is a hidden treasury in Dili. If you are looking for a different and stylish place to stay in Dili, you found it. The Casa do Sandalo is located in an old Portuguese Residence, and the owners are trying to keep all the traditions alive. Casa is a guest house with limited number of rooms, but with all the services of a hotel. The personal treatment of the owner, manager and staff make the difference I strongly recomend this guest house if you are travelling to Dili and desire a tasteful experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Pousada Casa do Sandalo, Boutique Guesthouse? Share your experiences!