“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trump Taj Mahal

You added Trump Taj Mahal to your Saves list
Trump Taj Mahal
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 Boardwalk at Virginia Ave, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Ranked #10 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Sacramento, California
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

My boyfriend and I visited Atlantic City on May 17-19, 2005. I'd heard so many terrible stories about Atlantic City and the Hotels, but we took a chance on Trump's Taj Mahal Hotel & Casino. We had a very nice stay. The staff was very nice, and the rooms were very clean. We had a minor problem with the shower head not working properly, but we changed rooms and the new room was even better. We also ate at their 24 hour diner which wasn't very good but the waitress that served us was very nice and funny. I highly recommend staying here. We had a very nice stay plus all the fears of visiting AC were put to rest.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
Monroe, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2005

My wife and I have been staying at the Taj for the last 3 years or so. With our ‘play’ we always get a good complimentary room from our fantastic casino host. Check in has never been a problem and the staff has, for the most part, been very nice. Our rooms, sometimes suites on the 14th floor, have always been clean with a great marble bathroom. The average rooms have a 21” TV but the all the suites have been supplied with 35” TV’s for your viewing pleasure. They also come with cathedral ceilings, oversize marble shower, lighting on dimmers, and a great view of the ocean. On the down side, it is close to their Casbar Night Club. You will here muffled loud music till 2am.

If you get a room by the elevators, no matter what floor you are on, I promise you that you will here them all night long. The cable that is attached to the elevators produce a low, quiet “hum” when they move. It’s not loud but very evident in a room with no sound. This is a problem for most people but, as strange as this may sound, the noise puts me to sleep! I think this was a design flaw. They didn’t anticipate the cable hum at high speeds and provide sound reduction foam in the elevator shafts or in the adjacent rooms.

The casino’s exterior is gorgeous with chandeliers that cost more than a million each. For dining there is a buffet for $19.95 per person, The Casbar Café 24 hour deli for hamburgers and sandwiches, and Dynasty that offers Cantonese, Chinese and Sushi dining pleasures. Mark Anthony’s Steakhouse will serve fantastic steak dinners and gourmet pizzas in an elegant setting that is very quite. Hard Rock Café is right on the premises for casual dining in an atmosphere that made Hard Rock famous.

One of the events was the Valentine’s Day Dance in 2005. It was spectacular. Three gorgeous ice carvings, surf and turf dinner, and a great musical entertainment. The site to see over 1000 people getting served simultaneously by hundreds of waiters is something else. Another event my wife and I attended was the Lady Luck dinner, where you actually got to vote on who would represent the Taj Mahal as a spokesperson.

We never had a problem with room service until our last trip. We received our food on a broken table but were quickly replaced with a new one. Room service wait can be from 45 minutes up to 1 ½ hours. The food is always consistent. Room service is available 24 hours every day.

There is a big change at the Taj that is not publicly known. Donald Trump has been ousted by the stock holders in the last month or two. It is arranged that they will continue to use the Trump name, however. The aftermath of this is evident in the attitudes of casino employees. Our last trip it was well apparent that the well oiled “Trump Machine” was gambling down a path that the employees were not happy with. We always had smiling faces on the casino floor. This was not the case in our last trip. Perhaps this is a temporary and the employee discontent is only because their future is uncertain. This is common with companies that undergo a significant management change. We shall see.

One last bit of information. If you gamble here on a regular basis, the Taj will take care of you. My wife and I have never paid for a meal or a room. The ‘comps’ are always generous and they have special events that are invitation only. You will need to be assigned to a casino host. I can’t stress this enough. His or Her job is to make sure that you are happy and to provide you with anything you need. If you only gamble 4 times a year, it is imperative you get a host. You can take full advantage of all the perks that the casino offers. They will provide you with a room and sold out tickets. Calling the hotel directly their response will be “no rooms available”. If you gamble at any establishment, get a card from the casino, provided for you at no charge. Every time you play, stick the card in the slot machine or give it to the pit boss at a table game. They keep track of how much you bet and the length of time you gamble. This is the only way they can know how good of a customer you are.

If you gamble enough, you can belong to one of the three clubs that offers free drinks and food in the President’s Club behind the high slot area near the boardwalk equipped with Plasma TVs or the Bengal Club that has good breakfast and a large area to sit down and drink.

My wife and I are very loyal to this casino. Our last trip, granted, was bad. But I won’t dismiss this hotel/casino yet. We have stayed at Caesars, Tropicana, and Bally’s and they don’t compare to the Taj. Overall, the Taj is the safest bet in Atlantic City.

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2005

We have been going to the Taj Mahal for at least 10 years. Our last and final trip there was when we when stayed on a Sunday. We know checkin is later in the afternoon on Sunday and had no problem with that as we were playing and having fun. My husband would call the desk every 30 to 45 minutes to see if our room was ready. We were told it was ready around 3:00, but I was on a good machine and we got to the desk around 3:30. We were given a key, and our room was on a higher floor as I requested. We got off the elevator with another couple. They were going in the same direction we were. Lo and behold, they had the same room we were given and their key worked and ours didn't. We were very upset and called the main desk. We were told someone would meet us. One of the desk managers told us "You called and cancelled your room; therefore, it was given to someone else." They must have been on drugs to think we would believe this dribble. I told her why would we cancel and room, yet go to the desk and be assigned a room with a key? She insisted we called and cancelled our room. She made us feel she was going out or her way to give us a room on the lowest floor they had rooms. She did not apologize and implied we were lying the whole time. This was the worst stay ever. As I said, we have been going there for 10 years and have given them good business. I emailed them, and needless to say, I got no response. I should have called, I know, but if the rest of the managers are like the manager we had, I didin't want to deal with it. We haved not been back since.

• Stayed December 2004
CAROLINA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2005

Our stay was a gift from a very dear niece who must love us to have given us such a luxurious stay. The room was on the 50th floor with a lovely view of the ocean. It was decorated to perfection with soft tones of off white, beige, brown and black. The restaurants could please anyone's particular taste or budget. I enjoyed the broad walk where we did excellent shopping at incredible prices. I will definitely visit again.

London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Taj in May and apart from Las Vegas there is nothing like it. We stayed in room 4825 a corner suite on the 48th floor with the most gorgeous dual aspect views of the sea and the boardwalk. The room was fantastic.....couldnt believe the size of the place....bigger then most apartments! The Hallway had a seperate guest toilet and the lounge was really comfortable with massive sofas and a table for 4. The bedroom was beautiful with a Jacuzzi in the room and mirrors on the ceiling (so 80's but it really was sexy) and a motorised TV that comes out of a cabinet near the bed. The bathroom was really spacious and included a 2 person shower unit. The only downside was that they locked us out of the room on the 2nd night for 20 minutes...but after a call from the manager we were offered $75 off the room rate which was nice of them. I really loved the cheesy glamour of these hotel/casino's. I wouldnt hesitate going back and would love to stay in the same room again!

• Stayed May 2005
Glendale, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

I was at the Taj Mahal for a conference. Overall the experience was very favorable. The room was nice and comfortable. Like most casinos, the amenities were not planned for the business traveler (no high-speed internet access in the rooms but local phone calls of unlimited length where $0.80 - not bad). The only annoying negative point was being one-room removed from the elevators. I thought I was hearing gusts of wind the first (of six) nights, but it was the rush of the elevators. I'm sure the sound is even greater directly adjacent to them. So, I would suggest making a reservation and asking to be as far from them as possible.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2005

Stayed at the Taj twice, once with my husband and once with my teenage girls. (my daughter wants to go back after her high school graduation instead of a party). We loved the room decor, restaurants were classy, chandeliers were spectacular, casino's were alot of fun. We are going back this month but no comp rooms left when we are going so we are trying Trump Marina, we figure we cant go wrong since The Donald really knows how to put together a hotel.

• Stayed October 2004

Been to Trump Taj Mahal? Share your experiences!