“Exceptional stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trump Taj Mahal

You added Trump Taj Mahal to your Saves list
Trump Taj Mahal
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 Boardwalk at Virginia Ave, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Harrisville, Rhode Island
“Exceptional stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

I have been going to the Taj once a year for the past several years and I am still a happy customer. From our quick check in with Courtney to Roxanne in reservations and Barbara in the buffet I was impressed by the dedication and professionalism of the taj staff that I encountered. Courtney started are stay off by checking us in quickly and upgrading us to the chairman tower which I had requested but due to a full booking was not readily available. Courtney also helped us with reservations when we decided to extend our stay making everything seamless for us. The Buffet was good, pick your items wisely and you won't be disappointed. Barbara was a great waitress and made us feel right at home. She had worked there since day one and still has a positive and attentive attitude . Unfortunately the buffet has very limited hours and no longer opens for lunch or breakfast. They still do the New York strips right on the grill prepared by a very lively cook! We did not win at gambling, oh well but being located right on the ocean during a very hot week gave us the excursion and relaxation we were looking for. I would recommend the taj to any one. Hopefully with all of the closings in the area they will seize the opportunity and step up their game. If I could change one or two things it would be to move the smoking section away from the main lobby and put the casual dining on the first floor and the upscale on the convention floor. I would also like to see them revive the Buffet and maybe put it in a easier to locate place and go back to serving breakfast since breakfast options were very limited. One more thing, the sub shop was great but located in a hidden area they really need to move that to a more accessible area. I look forward to returning. Also, know that I am a very picky person and it takes a lot for me to spend this long on a review.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
Grasonville, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

First of all, let me say that I am a loyal Taj Mahal guest. This is my first choice in A.C. It pains me to write a not so good review for this place. Actually, my last two trips were not so good. I did not bother writing a review on the previous trip because it was unusual for me to have a less than pleasant experience. But, two times in a row did not please me. However, I am only reviewing my last trip this week. So, here is the list: only two of four elevators were working in the Chairman's Tower, there were stains in many places on the rug in the room, the hem on the sheer curtains was loose and the curtains were hanging on the floor, there were cigarette burns all over the rug and in many spots on the benches at the bottom of the beds, the stopper was missing in one of the sinks in the bathroom so it was just a hole there, there was no luggage rack in the room, and the air conditioner could not be adjusted (it was 66 degrees at all times) - it was cold and I had to turn it off from time to time to warm up.

The room was very clean so kudos to the maids, because they do their best with what they can control. My fear is the owners are going to run this place into the ground - like they did with their sister property - Trump Plaza - also known at Trump Dump. Wake up! Do some cosmetic changes to the Taj. Please make the minor necessary improvements. You have a great opportunity to make this place a real treasure and pick up a lot of business from the closing casinos. Please, please don't run this place into the ground! I am a loyal customer but my patience is running thin. I will return but if things don't get better, I will become loyal to one of your competitors. And, I don't think that I will be only one. WAKE UP OWNERS!

As far as the previous trip, let's just say that I had to change rooms.

Room Tip: It is hit or miss in either tower.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We went out to Atlantic City back in early July and I will give Taj Mahal a solid three stars. You won't have to worry about the rooms because they are immaculate. There are plenty of elevators and plenty of slot machines and other games to gamble from. The buffet could have been much better and if I knew there were other dining choices we would have gone to them (my fiance). Some staff members were relatively helpful but there are some who seem to lack customer service especially where you get the compensation card. Also, beware of the smoking zone in the casino. Otherwise there was nothing that made me crazy for this place. I liked it but I didn't love it either. Otherwise, check out the boardwalk and the Independence Day fireworks if you plan on going for the holiday. Take the Jinney to the Borgota if you have the time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We spent 2 nights here with our two teens. By far one of the best spots on the beach is right in front of the Taj. Friendly front desk staff, spotless room, huge bathroom. Great eateries on site, parking was cheap....... nothing to complain about!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stayed in 2 queen bed room overlooking the beach.we also got a chance to stay in chairmans tower which is nicer.no complaints here.the buffet is excellent.the arcade for my 2 kids are here too.and the indoor pool which we love is here.its close to steel piers and beach.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Forest Hills
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Overall and compared to many other hotels in Atlantic City, with the exception of the Borgata and Revel (which is closing), the Taj is somewhat better, or at least no worse. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite in the older tower so while the suite was very roomy and quiet, it was old and tired, and all we could think was how much better it looked back in the day when it was new and maintained. Examples of lack of cleanliness and maintenance are stained and numerous wet spots on the carpet, all faucets leaking from handles, fewer amenities, non-closing door on mini fridge that I managed to fix temporarily, non-working wall hair dryer, and toilets that take a full 2 minutes to flush, making us think they were going to overflow. There was a balcony as well but the hotel check-in person said they no longer allow guest access to the balconies. One thing that disappointed (and annoyed) us was the pay Wifi in the room PER DEVICE. I could almost swallow having to pay for daily Wifi but per device??? Ridiculous. $12.95 a day per device.

The beach is fine and having the convenience of renting chairs, lounges and umbrellas helps but it would be nice if towels would be provided as well. The person who rented us chairs said that they are not associated with the hotel (even though the umbrellas have the Taj logo) so we could not charge the chairs to our room. It would have been nice if the Taj operated that service and provided towels, if they wanted to do things right.

Although there were many elevators, at any one time, only a handful would actually be operating, so the wait to go downstairs would be unreasonably long. At checkout time, I think only 4 elevators were working and we waited through 5 full elevators before we finally remembered the advice of another guest from another day, and pressed up instead of down. We had to ride an emptier elevator up from Floor 31 to 48 so we could go back down.

A note about check-in: Usually if you are early at a hotel for check-in, they register you and then you wait and come back for the keys when the room is ready. Not at the Taj- they make everyone wait until 2pm and then a long, long line forms. We had arrived around 12:30pm and were told, kind of brusquely, that the sign says check-in is at 2, only to come back and waste precious vacation time on line. Sure makes the hotel look crowded and popular though!

The casino is ..... all right. A limited number of new slot machines and many older and not well known models. I was underwhelmed with that part.

There is a nice mix of restaurants and that was much appreciated.

One negative that I discovered when I got back home is that I was missing a gold ring that I had in my jewelry pouch in the room. I can't be certain if it was stolen or if I somehow lost it, but I had a pouch full of costume jewelry and that one real gold ring, and that's the one thing that was missing. Either way, the hotel responded to my email to them about this with a canned response, followed by telling me that they contacted housekeeping and lost and found, and there was no ring turned in. I don't want to make an unfounded accusation but my feeling is that the ring was stolen. I had it in a pouch in a drawer, in the closet, in the bedroom, which in the suite, is way around the corner from the entrance door and has a door on it as well. It's very easy, private access for housekeeping, if they choose to do something like steal. Since these are people I tipped every day, I hope that wasn't the case.

My feeling is that the next time we go to Atlantic City, I would probably try a different hotel, and certainly if it's not summer and the beach is not an issue, I would go with the Borgata. While not terrible, I can see why Donald Trump would want his name off the AC casino hotels he no longer owns. I'm sure the Chairman Tower is very nice but overall, the Taj is a pale image of what it used to be.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

The hotel provided all the basics we were looking for during our stay: a nice casino downstairs and a comfy bed at the end of the night. The price was higher than I'd like, but reasonable compared to the other casino resorts in the area. The buffet restaurant I would not recommend for the price (I'd prefer a little bit of good food to a lot of so-so food). The rooms were each a little old in appearance but met our expectations in terms of utility (though paying for WiFi in this day and age is RIDICULOUS!). On the plus side, though we didn't really need to leave the resort, the location and views were great!

Room Tip: There are 50 floors in the Taj Tower. Higher = better.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Trump Taj Mahal? Share your experiences!