“Trump Taj Mahal Mess” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Trump Taj Mahal

You added Trump Taj Mahal to your Saves list
Trump Taj Mahal
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 Boardwalk at Virginia Ave, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Marathon, Florida
“Trump Taj Mahal Mess”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

After reading several reviews we thought we would try the Taj Mahal on our recent visit to Atlantic City. We have traveled for years and know first hand that reviews can be misleading. Unfortunately the bad reviews for the Taj Mahal are correct. The two suites we booked were apparently ones left over that have not been cleaned or updated in years. We had two Grand Suites on the 30th floor. Yes, the rooms were big.. the carpet upon entering the room was moldy and mildewed, the lovely sitting area had stained furniture, the balcony was locked but we did have a view of the trash and cigar butts on it, the bathroom had paint and wallpaper peeling, there was mold growing on the baseboards, carpet and ceiling, the light fixture over the bed was broken and hanging by a bare wire... needless to say shoes were kept on at all times. We provided pictures to management but have never to this date received any response.

The casino area was ok, though the first night we arrived there was no apparent place to get a customer card for the machines since it was after 9 p.m. If you want service for drinks, you will have to go to the bar or sit at one of the card tables. We left for most of our gambling and went to other casinos on the boardwalk or over to the Golden Nugget.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

When we entered the lobby I was a little hesitant because the outside and the lobby appeared dated to me. The check in process was long but the person checking us in was very friendly. The rate was excellent so I didn't expect the rooms to be very nice. Our room was in the chairmans tower and as soon as we began walking into that section of the hotel, the difference was remarkable. The decor was very modern and stylish. The room was huge and seemed newly decorated with modern flair. The bathroom was big and gorgeous with a separate room for the toilet. There was a vanity with a stool which was great for putting on make up. The shower was roomy. Staff friendly. I would stay in this section of the hotel again. The casino was nice. It would be nice if the restaurants in this hotel were open late night on the weekdays. The Noodle Bar was only restaurant open in the hotel and choices are limited. I'm not a fan of that restaurant but that's a different subject. Loved the hotel room though.

Room Tip: Request the chairmans tower rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tuscumbia, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

It might be a palace in India but it's just an average hotel in America. I went to Atlantic City for a conference and stayed in the chairman's tower for 5 nights. I thought I was getting a king room and got two queens, the commode stopped up on the second day and my view was of the Showboat's roof and a parking lot. The room was a good size and had a large bathroom. I did like the shower it was large and had a good spray. All in all the room was just average and the hotel is very large with a lot of walking. There was not an outside pool and you had to go on the roof to get sun. Just not that impressed.

Cinnaminson, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed in a Grand King Suite on the 29th floor of the original tower. Struggled with 7-8 tries to get the door unlocked regardless of key used each time we entered. The double doors only opened on one side. The smell in the room was so pronounced that our bellman asked US what it was! There was a dirty, wet towel in the refrigerator and it was switched off. The cabinet it was in was dirty, broken and heavily scratched. Dust everywhere! Fully one third of the lights and or controls for lights did not work. Bulb hanging out of a ceiling fixture in the bedroom. Broken handles, broken AC unit, worn out furniture, stained carpets, stained furniture, leaking shower head, no facility directory-floor plan, a note pad with one page left, the master closet smelled like a locker room, the list goes on and on. If this was a Howard Johnson's $19.95 a night room, well... what would you expect? A Grand Suite at the Trump Taj Mahal for hundreds a night? Inexcusable! Stay at the Borgata or Revel. Steer clear of this aging and frankly disgusting mess.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Came here for a conference. Getting from the parking garage to the room was at least a 1/2 mile walk. This was not fun with luggage. It didn't seem like leaving your luggage with the bellhop before you parked was an option. If it was, it wasn't advertised well and with a lot of people just hanging around I don't know if I would even feel comfortable! The parking ramp costs $5 and they don't take cards, cash only.

Check-in was quick, but the service was not friendly. I flew in late, so I was just settling in to my room around 10pm. I attempted to find some food... but the only things open was fast-food. I was surprised how dead everything was (even though it was a Thursday). I opted for room service, and had to wait on hold for about 10 minutes to get through. The room service food was below expectations. They even screwed up chocolate covered strawberries. They were completely tasteless. How does one manage that? I ordered a bottle of water and it was a tiny 8oz bottle for $4!!!!

One nice thing I have to say is that the bathroom in my room was very nice. Double vanity with granite countertops and a HUGE walk-in shower. I also liked the look of my room, it was a corner room with wall to wall windows. It was a nice room. The bed wasn't as soft as I like, but it wasn't too bad either. It was overall a comfortable space to unwind in.

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We found out that the Trump name was purchased for this site. He should pay the owners to take his name off. The place is dirty, paint is peeling, not all the lights are working, the decor is 30 years out of date. . . and that's just the outside. I don't think that they've ever washed their windows since they opened and the exterior hasn't seen a fresh coat of paint in 30 years.

The hotel rooms are trashy. It's like a bordello from the 80's They have one type of pillows - "simulated feathers" (read shredded foam bits). The furnishings are old and thread-worn. The place stinks of smoke. The best thing was the politeness of the staff. And, the bed is pretty comfortable and free of bedbugs as best we can tell.

We had to ask for an ironing board and an iron since they are not kept in the room. When it arrived, the iron was tethered to the board by a cable. Classy, eh?

The next time I stay here, they'll have to pay ME!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else!
redding,ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We spent 4 nights in the Chairmen Tower on the 91st floor of The Taj Wonderful view of the ocean and partial view of the bay. We watched the sun rise every morning from our room with floor to ceiling windows. Very clean and quiet. Huge bathroom with a double sink vanity,dressing table and the commode was a separate room. The staff at check in and check out were very helpful and very pleasant. Housekeeping did a great job on cleaning the room. I would recommend this hotel to friends & family.

Room Tip: High floors facing ocean are very nice
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Trump Taj Mahal? Share your experiences!