“Disappointing.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Casino and Resort

Save Saved
You added Tropicana Casino and Resort to your Saves list
Tropicana Casino and Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   S. Brighton Avenue and the Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Ranked #14 of 60 hotels in Atlantic City
Atlantic City, NJ
“Disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

My boyfriend and I have never stayed in the hotel, but we've frequented the Tropicana Resort MANY times before. We stayed in the West Tower on October 24, 2009 and were sincerely disappointed in the room.

The sheets were stained and dirty, and we were not provided a comforter on either bed. Though, we were told that our beds were "double sheeted" and this was considered an "upgraded amenity." The room was dusty and dirty, seemingly not inhabited in a long time. There was literally a layer of dust on the phone and remote control.

The room lacked a phone extension book, room service menu, and other basic amenities. The West Tower looked as if it was falling apart, wallpaper was peeling off, parts of the ceiling were caving in, and, for all the traffic in and out of the hotel, there were only 4 elevators for the entire tower. There was a 20 minute wait to actually get on on an elevator.

I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
prebovic, Representative at Tropicana Casino and Resort, responded to this review, October 28, 2009
Lyss8485,

On the behalf of Tropicana, I sincerely thank you for being such a loyal customer and I am saddened to hear of your recent hotel disappointment.

In order to provide our guests with an extra level of comfort and cleanliness, we are now presenting our beds with “triple sheeting.” Some of our guests are not familiar with this new amenity, but many have expressed their satisfaction. Your comments regarding the dust and the room deficiencies have been forwarded to our management team, because it is our mission to ensure that every room in our hotel meets our high standards of expectation.

Thank you for making us aware of the missing hotel directory in your room; we are currently replacing last season’s directories with brand new ones.

The West tower elevators are currently being modernized and upgraded, which may unfortunately cause some delay (for now); but we hope to have everything finished within the next few months. By then, the West tower elevators should be among the fastest in the building. We are sure the "uplifting" changes will be worth the wait.

Again, we genuinely appreciate your comments.

Best regards,

3,165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Turkish first
Atlantic City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I'm local to Atlantic City, so on nights out where we will be drinking, we typically just get a cheap room to stay overnight. I got an awesome internet rate of $50 (plus tax) for a room at the Tropicana after a dinner at Carmine's (always fabulous) and the Beatles' tribute show (a must-see if you are a Beatles fan).

We checked in around 6pm, and there was a short line but it moved very quickly. We were "upgraded" to the Havana Tower, which was actually more convenient for us and excited me because I thought the rooms would be nicer. We got to our room (5226) and it has a partial ocean/boardwalk view and view of the other casinos. The room was ok, pretty standard.

We went to dinner and the show and returned to our room around 10pm, hoping to order some room service. The first issue I noticed was there is no alarm clock in the room to set our alarm for work the next morning. The second issue was that there is no room service menu or even a hotel information book in the room. Very odd. So, I called the Front Desk (which took 3 tries - I finally called the Operator and had her connect) and asked about a room service menu. They stated they would bring it up, but advised me that since I paid for the room using a debit card I would have to pay cash for the room service. This is not a huge deal to me, but I *always* use a debit card to pay for my casino rooms and have never had an issue charging the room service to my room. The next issue was that we NEVER received the room service menu. We waited about 30 minutes and then just decided to go to sleep.

We noticed the next morning when we showered that the water didn't drain well and thanks to the ivory colored tub, we noticed that the pooling water was brown. We were so annoyed, we just checked out after our showers and left. Thankfully, valet parking was only $5 for hotel guests, so that was a plus.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again. I like the rooms at the other casinos better, the only draw to the Tropicana is the Quarter.

Floral Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

We chose to stay at the Tropicana because on our last AC trip we stayed at the Taj but enjoyed the restaurants at the Trop. It was a rainy weekend and we were hoping to stay indoors for a few days.

The crowd is young, and drinks heavily, and makes lots of noise in the hallways at ALL hours. I don't consider us old, but I do generally like to be asleep between the hours of 2 and 7am; not easy here. We stayed in the West Tower because I took a quick look at some pictures on the website (tropicana.net) that made it look newly decorated. It was not newly decorated. But there was a fridge in our room, a comfy bed, nice view of the Downbeach area. And there were tissues in the bathroom, something lacking at the Taj. There is free wireless, but the signal in the room was weak.

What made our stay worth it was the number of entertainment options. Modern casino, dozens of bars, comedy club, nice spa, IMAX theatre. We love the restaurant Cuba Libre. Although we didn't go outside, it is just a short walk from Cesar's and Trump Plaza so their entertainment options are easily reached; about 10-15 minute walk to the Taj, Showboat, & Steel Pier.

Of note, some restaurants & clubs have a dress code in the evening, no sneakers. If you're going to the IMAX, the six o'clock show is much less crowded than the eight. And, as I implied above, bring a sleep aid.

DigitalErin,

Thank you for your very insightful review!

We are sorry to hear that you didn’t get much sleep. Things do tend to get a little rowdy here on the weekends.

We hope to see you here again soon!

Regards,

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

I spent the night at the Tropicana with my daughter for her 21st Birthday. We reserved a Night of Comedy Package and had a wonderful time! From the Valet Attendants to the quality and cleanliness of our room we were not disappointed. The gentleman that checked us in was courteous and professional and upgraded our room from standard accommodations to a suite. We found our room neat and tidy and whatever we asked for we received in a remarkable amount of time.Our dinner @ PF Changs was delicious and the show @ the Comedy Stop was hilarious. Indeed, we had a wonderful time!

• Stayed October 2009
We are glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable time, momoftn! Please, wish your daughter a happy birthday for us!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

After reading the many Trip Advisor reviews on the Tropicana, I was unsure of what awaited. When we pulled up, I was pleasantly surprised by how cheerful and helpful the valet and bellman were. The cordiality of the staff ended there. As I walked into the hotel and was trying to figure out where to check in (I wasn't sure if there was a special check in for our conference), the gruff reply from the staff person I questioned had me taken aback. Unlike other posters, I was able to check in fairly quickly.

Our room was in the Havana tower. Upon first glance, it seemed fine. I try not to be nitpicky when it comes to hotels. Listen, I know they are dirty. Especially high volume hotels like the Tropicana. But to find numerous hairs from previous guests on the bathroom floor just grosses me out. The dust in certain spots of the room I can overlook. The hair? Disgusting. On top of that, there were two dirty towels sitting on the floor of the hotel room when we first came in. I kicked them outside the door. Our sleeping experience wasn't the greatest -- the mattresses in the Havana tower may need to be replaced. A coworker staying in a different tower had a much more comfortable experience, so if I were to stay again, I'd request a different tower.

One thing I thought was strange was that there was no hotel info in the room. Usually you have a book with restaurant info for the hotel, a room service menu, nothing. The concierge didn't have any comprehensive listing either. This would be helpful to have, given the size of the place. You can't memorize every single restaurant and store! Also, a map of the hotel would have been extremely helpful.

The shops and restaurants in the Havana side of the Tropicana were great. We had an enjoyable lunch at Cuba Libre, several stops in the Zeytinia marketplace for food, and we enjoyed browsing the upscale shops. I only wish we'd had the opportunity to get to the Palm for dinner. Corky's was passable for dinner...fine for a light meal, but nothing I'd seek out. But the offerings in the Havana quarter were great.

I think the Tropicana has a lot of potential, but there are kinks that need to be worked out. I don't know how well the hotel staff are treated, but we had enough unpleasant encounters when asking for directions or asking a general question about the hotel that I have to wonder if people are underpaid.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
JessNY,

On the behalf of the Tropicana, I thank you for sharing your candid comments with us.

After thoroughly reading your review, I have passed your comments to our management team. Here at the Tropicana, we are always searching for ways to exceed the expectations of our guests. Your feedback will help us remedy outstanding concerns and develop new ways of creating an ideal experience for our future guests.

We are currently removing and replacing the hotel directories in our hotel rooms, so I apologize for any inconvenience caused by not having one in your room during your recent stay.

Again, I thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Check-in took over 1 hour on on a Saturday afternoon at 3 PM. Based on the length of the rope corral, it must be a common occurence at the Trop. For much of that time, they only had one person at the desk checking guests in. We felt they were intentionally delaying the check-in of guests, possibly in order to finish cleaning rooms.

The rooms were poor, the decor was very dated, it had a very 1970's feel. We have been to Vegas several times, the value at the Trop does not come close to comparing with that you would get in Vegas.

The only positive is that its connected to good restaurants and nightlife, ReRa, Cuba Libre, PF Changs, etc.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Dear travelacct,

On the behalf of Tropicana, I regret to hear of your recent hotel experience. It is certainly not our intention to holdup the check-in process for any reason, but we have experienced occasional volume-related delays.

At the Tropicana, we take customer satisfaction very seriously and we thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Checked in @ 2:45 on Monday Sept 28th, received room keys @ 5:00. Yes we stood in line the entire time. At least the room was only $89.00.

Once I got over that aspect of the trip, things got better. The bell staff took our luggage and held onto it so my wife and kids could wander on the boardwalk. Once we had the room the luggage was in the room within 15 minutes.

The room in the Havana tower was on the 62 floor and was clean had a nice firm mattress and a decent view looking north over the city.

Carmine's for dinner was fabulous and they gave us a free side of meatballs with our ticket from the IMAX film "Cloudy with a Side of Meatballs". Let me tell you, their side of meatballs must have weighed 5 pounds - awesome.

Used the swimming pool in the morning. Not bad, a bit dated, certainly nothing you can hang out at but if you wanted to get wet, do a lap or two or give the kids a workout, it wil l do. Caution as it costs $10 per room to get in.

Check out was simple, appreciated no fee parking and overall not a bad place to stay if you can figure out how not to waste 1/2 an afternoon checking in.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Tropicana Casino and Resort? Share your experiences!