“Great times at the Trop” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Casino and Resort

Save Saved
You added Tropicana Casino and Resort to your Saves list
Tropicana Casino and Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   S. Brighton Avenue and the Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Ranked #14 of 60 hotels in Atlantic City
Jersey City, NJ USA
“Great times at the Trop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

I've been to the Trop 3 times (staying twice.. once on my 22nd birthday last Nov and once this past May for my girlfriend's 21st birthday). Both times, I enjoyed myself alot. The room I had a few months ago was just the standard room; nothing special, had a TV, 2 beds, and a view of a parking garage. Everything was clean and we had no issues with the room.

The lobby at the Trop is beautiful; everything is decorated in a very Tropical/ / Cuban theme. Lots of bright colors, and the Quarter is probably the best part. The quarter is the mini city within the Trop, complete with stores, clubs, restaurants, etc. It even has an Imax theater, although I haven't gotten the chance to go yet, although I did go to the Hooters... good wings ;)

The floor itself is okay; alot of slots and table games, and the table games are sorta just lumped together in one big open space. Some of the other casinos I've gone to have had better layouts, but it's nothing terrible.

On my most recent stay, I was able to get a room in the newer Havana Tower. It was a bigger room, and overall nicer than the 1st room I had stayed in. Best of all, the rates for the Trop are usually significantly lower ($40-$50 / night) than any of the other Casinos.

I don't have anything particularly bad to say about the Trop; if anything, it was a bummer that the club on the 2nd floor closed early on a Fri night (it was only about 2-230 and they stopped letting people in). Other than that, the Trop is a fun place to visit and stay in AC

• Liked — great decorations in the quarter, not overpriced, clean rooms, alot of variety of slots
  • Disliked — club closed early, not too central on the boardwalk (15 min walk to the rest of the casinos), no indoor pool
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

3,169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Stayed at the Tropicana for two nights during the week at a great room rate deal. Tito at the front desk took great care of us by upgrading our room to a ocean view suite in the south tower. It was not one of the hot tub suites, but a long room with a king sized bed and a couch and chair on the other end. Had dinner one night at the Irish restaurant that was very good and gambled in the non smoking sections of the casino (can't wait till it's all non smoking). The slots were not too loose at all this time, but I broke even playing blackjack. The last time I stayed over at the Trop was back in December, 2002. I was a little hesitent in staying there especially from reading some of the past reviews and the forum topics on the Trop in light of all that's happening with the place recently, but I'm glad I did. The state seems to be turning the place around. Will stay there again on my next trip to Atlantic Ctiy.

DC Metropolitan Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

We recently stayed here for a weekend getaway. We chose the Tropicana as our first stay had been quite nice and we like being on the boardwalk.

This second stay left quite a bit to be desired. In the 6 months since our first stay, it seemed that the hotel had spontaneously aged a century. So even though they have been upgrading the casino floors, the banged up lobbies, elevators and guest rooms give an overall feeling of shabiness.

We stayed in the much touted Havana Tower - considering it isn't all that old, it really was a little grubby.

Hopefully repairs and general sprucing-up are in the works, but I doubt we'll be venture to stay here for a while.

• Liked — location and ease of access to other casinos
  • Disliked — Not the best kept property we've stayed at.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
central new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

This was my 3rd stay at the Tropicana and had stayed in Trump Plaza in March. I had previously stayed in comped rooms from my bfs grandfather who is a frequent flyer at the Trop. My boyfriend and I decided to have a 3 day 2 night getaway to AC. Booked a standard room. After checking in we went to our room in the west tower and immediately didnt like it. The elevators to the rooms had cigarette butts all over the floor. My boyfriend then killed a shelled bug with his shoe that was running across the floor. Upon walking down the hallway to our room the housekeepers had bags of garbage laying outside each room we walked past. Got to our room and loved our ocean view, however the carpet didnt look like it was vacuumed, the curtains had stains, there were two half empty coca-cola bottles in the fridge, and the headboard was so dusty that a message was written in it. I was afraid to even look under the sheets. We really arent complainers but I decided I would rather check out and go to Trump Plaza (which had absolutely gorgeous rooms) then to subject myself to this filthy room. My boyfriend called downstairs and told the women what was going on, she told us to go to the desk downstairs and she would switch us to a Havana Tower room. The women was extremely nice. We got our new room keys and proceeded to the new Havana tower. We walked into our end of the hall room to find out they had upgraded us to a suite. It had a big living room, a huge bedroom and two bathrooms. Many closets, safe, iron and ironing board, free internet, a desk with table, glass tables and marble bathroom countertops. The best part was the floor to ceiling windows in the bedroom and living room. We were very happy and surprised. Overall I would not stay in a regular room at the tropicana again, I would prefer the Trump plaza. Since they are having money problems like bankrupcy, you can definitely see the difference this has made. The Quarter and restaurants and casino are great. probably the best casino and restuarant selection in AC. I would say we had a wonderful time besides the first room. After we got over that we loved our vacation!

• Liked — our suite room, the restaurants, stores and the huge casino
  • Disliked — our first room
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

Booked through Atlancitcity.com. If not for the discount from this site it would not have been worth it. Booking through the hotel it is too expensive and they will not guarantee your room, even with a credit card after 6pm. (Leaving after work to drive down we cannot get there befor 11pm at the earliest). The first room was tiny, filthy & had hair on the sheets of one of the beds. Second room was bigger with a view of a ladder & cement wall. A little cleaner, but no hair in the bed this time. At 2 pm someone in a room near us was smoking pot (you cannot mistake that smell!). We called security & were told that they "cannot just knock on random doors, they need to know where it is coming from in order to do anything". This seemed very odd to us & we did not feel safe after hearing this. After a few hours the smell dissapated & we were able to get a few hrs. sleep. The casino was average and did not pay well on the slots. Casino employees (with the exception of the lobby level Concierge, who is leaving in 2 weeks) were very unfriendly and made us feel that we were an inconvenience to them if we had a question or needed help. Signing up for the club cards I was given someone elses cards. After realizing this I went back to ge the correct ones & the girl that had made the mistake wouldn' fix it, I had to go to another window. One good thing was the Ri-Ra Irish Pub where we ate lunch the next day. The food was above average, very reasonably priced and the employees there were very friendly and accomodating, even getting me the recipe for the Irish Soda Bread they serve. The coffe was exceptionally good and I would recommend this restaurant to everyone. Food in the Seaside Cafe (open 24 hrs.) was good also and the employees were very nice there too. The prices, however were too high at that restaurant. Basically, we goofed again. For what we spent for 24 hrs. in AC we could have added a few hundred dollars to and flown to Vegas for a weekend, getting much better hotel rates (mid Strip), better food and more perks from the hotel. It would definetly be worth it, even with the added cost of plane fare and the extra time to get there. Atlantic City is in no way comperable to any gambling city I have ever visited and they are there to make a buck...period. They do not make thier guests feel comfortable and are not guest friendly at all. We only go to AC twice a year, if even that often and we are finally done. As another Trip Advisor member said in thier review...Vegas here we come!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — Almost everything
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Trop this past Sunday night, to take advantage of the lower priced week-day rates. Had we paid full price for the room I would have been even more disappointed with the hotel. We stayed in the South tower, which I've since learned is the least glamorous. Not once during our stay did we feel "welcome" by the staff. Upon arrival to the room, I rolled down the comforter to discover red stains on the linens. Housekeeping staff was right down the hall, so I politely requested she change the sheets. She then insisted that we had made the mess (how?! we just got there!!). Finally, she huffily changed the sheets, and rudely slapped away the tip we offered.

The entire hotel is due for a much needed upgrade. The rooms, casino, and lobby are all rockin' a 1980's theme. However, if you are forced to stay in the Tropicana, I do recommend seeing their in-house "Broadway" show. You can purchase room packages that include tix to the show. The singers had such amazing voices that I was able to keep my mind off the dingy room and combative staff for an hour and a half.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Harrisburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

I stayed in a comped room in the South Tower. It was clean as always. Check-in was fast and easy. The room worked for the 2-3 hours sleep necessary.

It's not the Borgota, but it's clean and gets the job done.

• Liked — Free room
  • Disliked — It's not the Borgota
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Tropicana Casino and Resort? Share your experiences!