“Needs Some Upgrading” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 60 hotels in Atlantic City
New Jersey
“Needs Some Upgrading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

As a last-minute thing I decided to go down to AC during a summer weekend so when I went to book a room there really wasn't a huge availability. I decided to take my chances with the Trump Plaza as I had stayed at the Taj earlier in the summer on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately the Plaza wasn't as nice as the Taj. When I arrived at the hotel there was no wait at the check-in and 4 or 5 employees were chatting behind the desk. At least 2 of them looked over at me and continued their conversation until I spoke up and asked if someone was able to help me. Because I had booked on hotels.com I actually really lucked out, the room types are not guaranteed and it is a first come, first served, particularly if you do not pay ahead, which is what happens if you book directly with the Plaza. A family was trying to check in when I arrived and the only rooms being offered to the 4 of them were a king bed non-smoking or a queen and sofa bed smoking room which wasn't acceptable to the family. I, on the other hand, had booked a basic non-smoking room and somehow ended up with a Club Suite, at no extra charge. Apparently that was all they had available so I didn't complain and jumped at it.

I took the main elevator up to the 36th floor and I liked how the elevator is glass so you can see out as you travel up, sadly the elevator is old and creaky so you don't feel totally safe in it plus it reeked of urine. When I got to the suite the first key card did not work at all but the second did after a few tries. The room was very spacious with a wet bar, sitting area with a table, 2 chairs, and a couch and a flat screen tv. You then walk into the bedroom area and there is a large jacuzzi tub with the king sized bed and a tube tv placed in front of the bed. The bathroom was very large with 2 sinks, a bidet, and large shower/steam room which I really enjoyed. I just wish that hotels supplied robes more often, most hotels I've stayed in recently seem to have done away with that which is disappointing, there's nothing better than being wrapped up in a nice terry cloth robe after a hot, relaxing shower. The bed was fairly comfortable but the comforter was stained and very old looking.

When we got to the hotel we really weren't in the mood to go out to dinner after a long ride so we decided to get room service before going out for the night. It was about 7pm at that time and room service was closed, which I think is very strange for a weekend. The casino was very smoky so we decided to go to Caesars instead. When we came back to the hotel around 4am we were starving at that point so we decided to go to the casual restaurant to get something to go. Again, very strangely, the restaurant would not do a "to go" order. I had to sit down, place our order, take a bite, then ask for a doggy bag. It really makes no sense for a hotel that does not have 24/7 room service to then not have a restaurant which provides to go orders for those late night people.

If I could stay in a suite everytime I would come to the Plaza more often but you can tell that it's better days are many years behind it and needs a massive overhaul/upgrade ASAP. I highly doubt I will be booking another room at the Trump Plaza unless there are not many other rooms available at other resorts or are just way too expensive. There's a lot of potential, it really just needs an upgrade to compete.

Room Tip: Book through an outside company to reserve your room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

1,069 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We drove 9 hours from Canada to be in the beach and we picked the hotel due to its location. Got there 9AM and had to wait to check in until 1PM. That was understood and we waited, finally I got the key to my room which BTW was a constant struggle to make it work. (Not only that key but all the keys we changed at the front desk was a struggle)
Finally, we made it to the room, excellent ocean view but the room had a strange odor of humidity.
My daughter goes to the bathroom and surprise, the toilet seat had urine marks on it. Awful cleaning service.
After complaining, all I got was someone from room service will take care of it. I just wanted to get out somewhere else. Finally , we stayed and moved from floor 15 to floor 18, no more urine but very outdated room.
I was so relief when we got out of there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ramsey, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is surprisingly not good. The hotel itself is pretty nice, but the rooms are blah. They look very outdated and cheap. The bedspreads are very thin and what you would expect from a motel. This hotel was not very comfortable, especially for the rate that they are charging. I think this hotel would be a good deal for $90 per night but no way is this hotel worth $200 per night. Of course, the location is great (right on the boardwalk) so perhaps that's an incentive to pay that much.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
princeton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We rented two Suites - kids and parents. Both were clean, large, comfy. Neither had a water view. We got the two suites as an upgrade because, at the time of my reservation, I requested two rooms each with an ocean view. When we arrived, all ocean view rooms were already given away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed with my husband and 2 teenagers for 2 nights. There is a long walk to the lobby from the boardwalk. I don't understand why there are no benches; there were some elderly people with walkers/canes. Anyway, there was about a 10 min. wait to check in. our room was ready at 1 p.m. We were on the 27th floor. For safety reasons; you had to slide your room key card in the elevator slot then press your floor number; many guests were having difficulty getting the elevator to work; others were not doing it correctly.
Our room was nice with a large window with a view of the beach. I did have to call housekeeping twice before they brought up a rollaway bed. The bathroom was nice but should be updated. The formica around the sink was cracked as well as some of the shower tiles. The staff was very nice in the hotel. The casino was large and not too crowded. There's no arcade or activities for teenagers except for the beach or indoor pool The day we checked out; the bellhop kept our bags for the day while we walked around boardwalk.

Room Tip: We had a room in the main tower; elevators are right around the corner from the front desk.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Check in on July 27th for a four night stay. Room was ready and it was 2:30 p.m. We got room 1881 East tower ocean view. Very clean room was well stocked. The room had everything in it that we needed. Casino area was kept clean. Slots were hot. Especially the 50 cent machine's. Cocktail service did a great job. Specially for how busy the place was every night that we were there. The layout of the complex is a little odd. Its a good haul from the self parking garage. We check in first. Then look at our room after that went back and got our luggage. I read some reviews before we came. Some people said this place needs to be knocked down, torn down or whatever. I say the exterior does need some help but who really cares. Over all a good stay. I would return. I think most of them people that wrote bad reviews either lost there money or just a bunch of Democrat cry babies...

• Stayed July 2013
Scranton, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed at Trump Plaza on Aug. 8, 2013 (Thurs.) I arrived at 1 pm but they were not checking anyone in until 2 pm so I played slots for awhile & got back in check-in line at 1:55 pm There were 42 people in line ahead of me (I counted) but 6 people were on duty checking people in, so the line moved quickly. Thankfully, my wait was only 15 min.; because the heat & humidity from outside had worked their way inside. There was NO cool place anywhere - not the casino & not the hotel lobby. I was so glad I had a folding paper fan in my purse. I went to my room & the same thing: hot, humid, stuffy. I turned the air conditioner on high & waited 30 min. - no change. So I dragged my luggage back down to the front desk & was assigned another room. Air conditioner no better there. The only way for me to stop sweating was to take a cold shower (at least it had good water pressure).

The room itself was dated but average, except: The magnifying makeup mirror (a highly desirable item for a woman) in the bathroom must have been installed by a tall person. I am 5'3'' & it was not adjustable, so it was too high for me to use. The bathtub was chipped in several places. One of the electrical outlets in the room didn't work,, so neither did the lamp that was plugged into it. (I checked the outlet with my curling iron - no power).

If you stay here in the summer, bring ear plugs if you want to go to sleep at night - maybe that will be enough for you. I was on the 31st floor & I always take ear plugs on my trips, but it wasn't enough to block out the deep bass of the music from the beach bar. At midnight, I went to front desk & asked what time the beach bar music ends & was told 2 am. So I went to casino & played slots to kill some time; got a meal at the 1st fl. restaurant (very good & price ok) & WEARILY went to my room at 2:00. No music - thank goodness!

The next day, I ate lunch at the buffet & the food was acceptable quality for the cheap price ($8.00).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!