“Old but efficient” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 61 hotels in Atlantic City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Old but efficient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here for a friend's birthday weekend. We wanted the total AC experience- casino, boardwalk, beach, nightlife, etc. and Trump Plaza delivered. We loved the location- on the boardwalk and steps to the beach. The beach club that is part of Trump Plaza was our favorite nightlife spot.

The hotel itself was pretty old and rundown. Unlike other reviewers here, our rooms were clean and tidy, but everything looked a little worse for the wear- worn carpets, slow elevators, and old fixtures in the bathroom. My biggest issue with the room was air circulation- there was no fan in the bathroom, and the AC system was very weak, not good at circulating cool air so it was pretty stuffy. We had booked two rooms, which we were able to get on the same floor. Both had great views of the boardwalk, and at least partial ocean views.

We used someone's bonus miles to cut down the cost of the room. I feel like if we had paid full price, we would have been more upset by the older facilities and lack of amenities, but as it was, we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

1,077 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This place is a Trump dump. Atlantic City is an amazing place and the boardwalk is stupendous but the Trump Plaza is horrific. My father, mother and myself came here expecting something outstanding and we were highly disappointed. Don't be deceived by the nice lobby because once you get in the old elevator, it's a different hotel. The rooms are beat and rundown. They need a good fix and the bathroom? Forget about it, awful. The shower was dirty and the bathroom had cracked tiles. The rooms were very outdated as well. I believe my elder grandmother has the same wallpaper and lamps as these rooms. The power outlets were minimum too. I had to unplug the lamp near my bed to use a working outlet. Our safe ended up locking on us and we were stuck without our id's and money. My mother called a locksmith and I think he may have been the most generous person I've encountered in this dump plaza. The hotel is money hungry. To do anything remotely fun in your room, you need to pay for it. A Nintendo 64 from the 90's isn't even free. The wifi is also 13 dollars for 24 hours too. I believe it should be for your entire stay. Our room keys faulted out during our second night and we were forced to go get new ones. While my mother and I were downstairs waiting to receive our keys, a woman on the side of us was enraged about how "utterly disgusting and vile" the room was. She was demanding to check out immediately after only a few hours of staying. TO ANYONE READING THIS, DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT STAY HERE TRUMP IS A DUMP. STAY AT RESORTS INSTEAD.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rutherford, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Not much to complain about, but wasn't anything special. Average sized rooms, clean enough, but not very clean, convenient elevators. Only thing I would complain about it I paid extra to book the ocean view, but the windows were small and the view, not so great. And for some reason the front desk clerk was fighting with the people in front of me checking in, but I don't know what happened, so I can't say who was wrong there... The 2 girls who cleaned my room however were awesome...so nice! - wish I knew their names so I could include them in here.

Room Tip: Don't really bother booking the "ocean view" if you have to pay extra.
Bear Creek Twp., PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My Wife and I traveled to Atlantic City from 8/7/13 to 8/9/13, and we stayed at the Trump Plaza Hotel. The hotel is very out dated, dirty, and smelly. The shower in our room had cracked tiles, moldy areas, and the drain backed up while taking a shower so you stand in stagnant water. The room, hall ways, and casino had an old smokey, mildew like smell, and kind of made me sick by the second night.

Pros:
Not many. There were quite a few $5 table games (probably because no one wanted to play there), Hotel was on the boardwalk and ocean front. Bed was soft.

Cons:
The hotel and casino have a bad smell. The hotel room was expensive, and was not fancy at all. The rooms still had old Tube TVs (no HD Flat Panels). Dirty bathroom and shower. The windows to the room were filthy too (you can hardly see out the window to the ocean).

Would I go back to this hotel: No
Would I recommend this hotel to family or Friend: No

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Mr. Trump sir, you should be ashamed of yourself !

IF what an employee of Atlantic City's Trump Plaza told my wife is true and Donald Trump actually sold this property some time ago (for less $$ than any AC hotel EVER?), then DOUBLE shame on you Mr. Trump, for allowing your name to be associated with something so far below your own lofty standards and expectations.

Our TP adventure began when the Missus and I, along with another couple, decided to make our final road trip of "Summer 2013" a short visit to post-Hurricane Sandy AC.

We had stayed at the Trump Plaza some years ago and were satisfied enough with those accomodations that even though alarmed, we weren't scared away by the many negative Trip Advisor reviews that had been posted in the interim period since our last stay. After all, there were positive reviews too...right? Lesson learned: we should have lent more credence to those warnings!

The first clue came when we checked in and asked for our reservation-requested east tower room. The female desk clerk stated she had nothing available (on Thursday, early? Really?), but she would gladly upgrade us (naturally) to a "very nice room" in the other tower....with an ocean view to boot ! Thank you very much, have a great stay, here are your keys and off you go now !!!

Twenty-plus floors up and five short steps off the dirty elevator later we open the door(s) and . . . Hmmm...smells musty in here, get the disinfectant spray out, hey, the floor of the bathtub is chipped, there's a well used rubber mat rolled up in the center of the tub and no indication that the toilet has been cleaned or sanitized....tile on the floor's a bit sticky...

OK...well at least we've got a great view of the ocean (drapes are now drawn open), hey! - the windows (in both rooms) are SO dirty that you can't even SEE the ocean and the outer pane in our friend's room is leaking through the exterior seam! The TV remote works, but you have to be on a certain azimuth with the set and press hard enough to hand launch a Minuteman missile if you expect the channels to change.

Since we were only staying 2 nights and would be spending limited time in the room, we made a second mistake and didn't demand to be moved (we should have)...we simply tolerated the late night voices of the elevator to's and fro's, the dingy, dirty windows and the messy floor of the main observation elevator, the sauna-like atmosphere of Starbucks without any working air conditioning, general lack of cleanliness and disrepair, duct tape on carpets, poor service by some folks who just didn't seem to care, only one (1) cashier window open on a Saturday afternoon in the casino. Both rooms and the overall property are truly tired and in need of attention....I think you get what I'm saying here. Rated TP for TRUMP = POOR !

Did I mention the scurrying roach-like insect I assassinated on the wall adjacent to the closet safe? The wife LOVED that one!

To my fellow travelers, I would humbly offer these perspectives: (1) I sincerely hope the positive reviews that this property receives are legitimate and not penned by management or solicited "friends" of Trump Plaza AC. In all fairness, we obviously didn't see every room in the place, but what we DID see was enough for us: WE ARE FOREVER DONE HERE. (2) Take these TripAdvisor complaints seriously enough to check things out to your satisfaction and (3) DEMAND righteous changes be made on your behalf if you find they are NOT. (4) Spread the word. The bottom line is that it's your money and you deserve to be treated like you've EARNED IT !

Memo to Mr. Trump . . . Dear Donald, your excellent standards and good reputation would be well served by you and someone you love spending a few nights as John & Jane Doe guests at the Trump Plaza, Atlantic City, NJ.

Finally, speaking for myself, my wife, my friends and anyone else who may have endured an experience similar to ours, I'm very sorry to say that . . . YOU Sir, are fired !
JandAC - Ohio

Kingston, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I'd never stayed at a Trump property, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It looked old and run down. The room was small and part of the porcelain or whatever coating was on the tub was peeling off. I won't stay here again. The only upside is we had a great view of the beach.

Room Tip: There probably isnt one
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We were given a dirty room the beds were not even made and the bathroom was not cleaned. They "upgraded" us to something with an ocean view but still one plug outlet was broken so we could only use one lamp. Housekeeping blamed us and said that we dirtied the first room meanwhile we literally just arrived. Waste of money the only good thing was the location. Will save up next time to stay at Revel!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!