“Definitely below the Trump Brand standard” 3 of 5 stars

Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Boardwalk At Mississippi Ave., Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Ranked #29 of 61 hotels in Atlantic City
Goldsboro, North Carolina
“Definitely below the Trump Brand standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Trump Plaza isn't a dump. In fact, in typical over-the-top Trump fashion, the lobby and entryways are past elegant and bordering on gaudy. It's as of Trump sees what he wants and says, "you know what through, anything worth doing is worth OVER doing."

But the rooms are most definitely dated. The shower heads, the general decor and the wear and tear on doors, knobs, wall corners, etc scream that this place needs and update.

Will it get one? I don't know, but since the Plaza has always been the second string player for Trump in Atlantic City, maybe not.

The bottom line is that it's not a bad place to lay your head for a night...you're right next to Caesars and then Balllys. The beds are comfortable and the pillows are good. And for under $100 on the Boardwalk there are more expensive places that provide similar service. So, why not look to Trump?

I would stay here again but it's definitely not up to the Trump name plate.

Room Tip: If you have the room guaranteed with a credit card, then just check in LATE. There was no one in li...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

1,103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here with a Living Social coupon for 1 night. I could feel the 80's as soon as I walked in. The long checkout line was terrible. Only 1 person checking people in. Room was okay, good ocean view. Def outdated and no cell phone service. Luckily, they had a wall phone in the bathroom. LOL, seriously, they can remove those now. The shower was nasty and there was a hole in the wall for the vent that my fiance checked to make sure there wasn't a camera in there. The casino itself was crappy, so we walked to Tropicana and Ceasers instead. We had a $10 comp for a restaurant that was never open so we didn't get to use it. We did eat at Evo and the bartender was super nice and the food wasn't bad. She poured a heavy drink too. After getting back to the room at 7am, the cards didn't work to use the hotel and the room key. After trying about 15 times, it finally worked and we got 3 hours sleep. When we went to checkout and get our car from Valet (only $5 though), the cashier didn't have change and I had to ask several other workers for change, finally getting it from the front desk. Overall, the hotel needs major updating, but if you are just there to gamble and sleep for a few hours, it's not bad.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was undoubtedly one of the worst hotel experiences we've ever had. (Please note the following is exclusive of the effects of hurricane Sandy.)

The hotel is dirty, ugly, falling apart, unmaintained, and downright seedy (like most of Atlantic City). Our first room had no power. The second had a barely working toilet and a bed with unchanged linens. Yuck.

It was hard to tell who hated the place more- the current employees or the guests. The employees made no secret of their feelings toward the hotel management.

I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. The Trump really is a dump.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Howard Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have stayed at the Trump Plaza in Atlantic City approximately 10 times and have been extremely pleased everytime. The staff is very friendly in all locations within the hotel and the casino. The dining areas are very good and again the staff is great. The rooms are neat and always very clean. The only complaint I would have is you have to pay for wi-fi.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because of a Living Social deal. A few months ago we stayed at the Taj Mahal. It was recently renovated and beautiful. Everything was fresh looking. That was not the case at the Trump Plaza.
We walked into our room and it was worn out looking. The carpet and walls looked dingy. Everything was clean, but definitely needs to be updated. The lobby looks like no one has updated since the 1980s.
We visited the weekend of Hurricane Sandy and everyone had to check out of the hotel by 11 on Sunday. My husband and I left around 7:30 to beat traffic and there was only 1 person doing check out. You cannot efficiently evacuate a hotel with 1 person checking guests out.
Trump should be ashamed to have his name attached to this hotel!

Independence, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed 2 days at Trump Plaza, we had 2 free days because of previous trips. We checked in early about 1 pm and no problem. I asked if we could get an ocean view room and again no problem. We had a large ocean front room with view of ocean and boardwalk. (This was a week before the storm). The bathroom was large, very clean. The room was a little dated, some remodeling could be done, but having the big room and view was very nice.

White Plains, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed there 2 x's and I thought the first time it was nice. But the second time I really expected much more. For the name it carried I thought it would be different. The location is excellent right in the middle of the boardwalk. Not far from the outlets. The wait to get your room I wasn't too happy about 2 people at the counter and the long was very long. I must say numerous of people check in on Sundays.
The room this time I wasn't happy with there was a large beam right next to the bed in which made the room look smaller. I saw about 20% of the ocean in which I ask for a ocean view. The 1st time I must say I had a better room and a better view of the ocean.
I think I will try the Taj Mahal next time, Trump Plaza you were alright but not the best.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!