“Going downhill.....hoping something will be done.” 4 of 5 stars

30% Off Travel Rates
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
GreenLeadersSilver level
NY
“Going downhill.....hoping something will be done.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

As I'm reading many of these reviews I'm seeing more bad than good and I hope someone in charge is also reading them so maybe some changes will be made. I am a platinum cardholder who used to stay at Showboat, but switched to Harrah's Resort several years ago because I thought it was more upscale and Showboat was going downhill. Unfortunately, I am now seeing Harrah's go downhill as well. I love it there and often call it my "happy place" so I hate to see this happening. I just spent 4 days there once again and felt the need to finally complain.

On our second day there we decided to spend the afternoon at The Pool. Having been there many times before I expected a problem finding chairs as this always seems to be a problem. I was right, only the problem has gotten worse. Now there not only seems to be a shortage of chairs, but many of them are ripped and broken and just left there to look tacky and empty.... not what I expect of an upscale resort. I complained to a manager and our waitress.

Also, as a platinum cardholder I find myself waiting in lines for everything now (especially check-in) with the gold cardholders whereas there used to be a seperate line for platinum. I drive 3 1/2- 4 hours to get there and don't feel like waiting forever to check-in. This upsets me as I spend a lot of money gambling and feel if you have platinum level it should be recognized. I also experienced (for the very first time this summer) not being given the Bayview or Waterfront for comped rooms. The Marina Tower beds are HORRIBLE although the rooms were clean (which as much as I like the Waterfront and Bayview, cleanliness is often an issue). I did get the Bayview Tower this past trip, but only after much urging and probably because I travel with another platinum cardholder. I've never stayed in the Harbour Tower, but heard it was terrible.

Lastly, on my last day there I went to get my his/her watch giveaway and what a fiasco that was. I don't understand why you need to wait at a kiosk (which was chaos) to get a voucher (waste of paper) when you received a postcard in the mail for the offer. It seems to me it would be much easier if you just walked into the event center with the postcard and turned it in to get the gift.

I usually stay and play every 2-3 months and hope someone addresses the concerns written in many of these reviews. I'd hate to have to look for a new "happy place"!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,316)
  • Turkish first
New Castle, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I traveled to Atlantic City with my husband and 2 young children for the Atlantic City Airshow. Being a popular event, most of the boarwalk hotels were sold out. We chose Harrah's based on decent reviews by other families on Trip Advisor. However, we couldn't disagree more with those reviews. The location was not great for our visit because it's on the marina side of the city. Access the boardwalk should have been easy since the hotel provides a shuttle. Much to our surprise, in order to ride said shuttle you have to hold a hotel rewards card! So, we ended up taking a taxi to the airshow ($13 each way). It would have been nice for the concierge to tell us about the reward card requirement when we asked him about the shuttle schedule.

Check in was fine. A mild wait, but the clerk was friendly. We stayed in the Waterfront Tower. The room was nice, but we found some trash near the desk and the funiture and electrical outlet covers were worn. The bathroom only had a shower, so it wasn't terribly convenient for my 2 year old to bathe. But the view of the back bays was a nice feature. There was no hotel directory or map in the room. We had to go down to the concierge desk to get a tiny map of the hotel.

Breakfast at the reflections restaurant was not good. The wait was 30 minutes but there were many empty tables. We were told the staff was changing shifts. Finally seated with 2 hungry kids, we sat for 20 minutes and no one waited on us. We had to contact the manager, who was able to locate our server. It was still 20 more minutes until food arrived. The waitress was a nice but clearly over-worked lady and the food was average, but the experience was terrible. Fortunately, the manager picked up the tab!

The kids pool area was not that clean and it was crowded with undisciplined children....where were the parents?? Then we tried to play mini golf and charge it to our room. No one informed us that we needed some sort of slip of paper that was supposedly included with our room keys in order to charge anything to the room! We had no cash with us and the kids activity area was a good distance from our room (in the Harbour tower), so we had to deal with a disappointed 4 year old when we couldn't play mini golf! We had no idea why this purple slip of paper wasn't explained upon check in.

Overall, this hotel markets itself as famly-friendly and I couldn't disagree more! Atlantic City is not a nice city to begin with and clearly even adding a kids pool/activity area doesn't make it any more attractive for famlies. We'll still attend the Airshow, but we won't be staying at Harrah's. In fact, we'll drive down and back that same day to avoid the headache we experienced on this trip!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
HarrahsResortAC, Public Relations Manager at Harrah's Resort Atlantic City, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear Amisrn1:

Please know that we read every comment and listen to what our customers are saying and we value all feedback provided as a means of monitoring and enhancing the service we offer at Harrah's Atlantic City. Our goal is to provide a warm and hassle-free experience for all guests, so it is always disappointing when we hear otherwise. We apologize that we fell short and your experience did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that your complete satisfaction is our greatest concern. We have forwarded your comments to our Hotel Management Team for their review. Thank you for taking the time to outline the breakdowns you have experienced during your most recent visits. Ultimately, your feedback allows us to monitor and gauge the service we provide and make improvements where necessary.

We truly appreciate your business and hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Harrah's in the future.

Have a great day!

Tiffany Moncalieri
harrahstripadvisor@harrahs.com
Napa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

We were Comped a room, so I wasn't expecting anything spectacular. We didn't spend much time in the room anyways, so it was fine for the money. I was a bit surprised to see old scratched, worn, and dated furniture and uncomfortable beds in such an upscale resort.

Its about 10 minutes from the boardwalk, but the Valet was great about validating our vehicle and allowing us to come and go multiple times eventhough we only paid once.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Mount Kisco, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

My husband and I took a two day getaway to AC and spent our time at Harrah's. We relaxed for the majority of our stay at the beautiful indoor Oasis pool and hot tubs. We stayed in the Waterfront Tower, in a corner room which sported views of the Ocean as well as a wonderful view of the opposing strip at night! The bathrooms were modern and spectacular. The TV, though we didn't actually watch TV, was an enormous flat screen. The Waterfront Buffett is one of the best, I think, deals in town. The food was incredible, not at all the stereotypical "buffett" food. You can enjoy just about any cuisine, the variety was incredible. The Steakhouse was another hit. The food, wine and service was great. When we weren't dabbling with the slots we took a walk outside along the small hotel pier.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stayed in the newer Waterfront Tower, in a corner suite... a beautifully designed room with contemporary furniture, and great views. Unfortunately, our "non-smoking" room had the overwhelming odor of cigarette smoke and the cigarette burn on the nightstand confirmed it. The room was not cleaned well at all. Aside from torn/tattered carpet, gouged walls, and "sticky stuff" on the dining table and in the refrigerator, we found hair (a significant amount, not one or two) on both bathroom floors and in the shower. The cocktail table in the living room had crumbs and other items under the glass. The night stands were never moved for cleaning, as I could easily see a forest of junk behind one of them. Light bulbs were burned out. For some strange reason the master closet and the main entrance door were beat up, scratched and scuffed.

But I think even more overwhelming than the dirtiness was the lack of standard items in the room. Our LUXURY SUITE did NOT have a wastebasket, alarm clock, or china (glasses or coffee cups). There were no soft robes to use and the few bathroom amenities offered (soap, shampoo, etc.) were budget items at best. The towels were thin (think budget motel rather than resort) and water pressure was terrible (which probably had something to do with the shower head being clogged up and never cleaned properly). HERE IS THE CHERRY ON THE SUNDAY!!! Our LUXURY suite did NOT have a convenience bar in it. Did I check in to a Howard Johnson's? Normally over a two-day stay, I estimate we would spend $60-$80 on drinks and snacks. But not at Harrah's... Our only option was room service with a thirty minute wait (I'm going to wait thirty minutes for a scotch?). So we chose to skip it...

The hallways were just plain gross. Somebody needs to take a vacuum cleaner for a walk down the hallway. Caked-on dust in every crevice and doorway, and even (what I assume was Ketchup) smeared on the wall. The rugs are stained (badly) in numerous places. I noticed a Q-tip (among other debris) laying in the middle of the hallway for the entire length of our stay. I don't understand... no one from house keeping noticed this?

We are people that stay at a hotel and want to be pampered a bit. We don't mind spending extra for that service, but at Harrah's it seems they have given up on attracting hotel guests that pay for service and instead would fill up their night club and have 20-somethings trash the rooms... I don't get it. Maybe it is related to a down economy and the work force has been cut back.

We can't say what the pool experience was like because no seats were available for us. We would have gladly rented a cabana, but we only had an hour or two to spare, so it seemed that it wasn't worth the cost. This was a Monday... how crowded is it on Saturday?

Overall, I think Harrah's (and many other hotels in Atlantic City) cater to people that follow a herd mentality and expect very little and receive even less.

HOWEVER, I must say: The food we had at Polistina's was excellent... not five-star, but it won't disappoint you at all. The restaurant staff was courteous, accommodating and friendly. (Thank you!) The Red Door Spa was one of the better spas we have visited (and we have been to many in several countries). The spa doesn't have as many "frills" as say the spa at The Water Club, but the service is better by far. The Viking cooking school looks like it would be fun and there was a buzz about the lobby whenever something was happening within. Whoever came up with the idea of placing Viking there should be congratulated.

Ultimately... you can enjoy a great deal that Harrah's offers, just do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicopee,MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Stayed one trip in Waterfront Tower and one trip in Harbor Tower. Both very clean and spacious. Housekeeping staff onsite and busy, quiet, friendly and pleasant.
One night a party was excessively noisy and a call to Security took care of problem pronto!!
Food outlets good but not much in the casual "grab a bite" outlets.
Gaming on a par with casinos locally. Some days you win, some days you don't. That is the nature of the beast!!
Overall, had a great time and will be back in September/October.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Moorestown, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

This was my first time staying over at a "Casino Hotel". I saw two deals, Thursday Night - one for a $30 a night, and $150/night for the Stay-And-Eat package, which includes 2 meals at the Waterfront Buffet, and fitness center. I picked the buffet package so we wouldn't have to worry about reservations, or waiting to eat, and could spend most our time on the floor gambling.

The wait for the buffet at 4:30PM on Thursday was 6+ hours. We were hungry and were unable to wait till at least 11PM to eat so we asked front desk if we could remove the buffet from our package, and go to one of their restaurants instead (We knew we would probably have to pay more for food, but we just wanted to eat at this point). They refused to downgrade the package for us.. They told me I agreed to this package and its not their fault if I have to wait to get my food. Time after time of flat out REFUSING to pay for the entire package, probably a 30+ minute battle, they started to back down and told me they would remove the package off my bill as long as there is no charge for the buffet on my room. I felt extremelly misled about the eat and stay package.

There was a deal for $30 at a steakhouse, so we reserved to eat there around 830PM. The deal was for a small salad and a 6oz skirt steak. We needed to eat more than that, however EVERYTHING else on the menu would have cost us between $100-$200 for the two of us. Again I felt misled, so we gave up, stood in line at a cafe-style restaurant, and paid about $50 for two cheese steaks and soft drinks.

The marina tower that we stayed in smelled heavy of mold. Not just a hint here and there but like the dampest basement you could imagine. The linens and bedsheets sucked in the odor even more, so sleeping in the bed, on the pillow, under sheets, etc just amplified the scent. Staff explained the reason for that was because it was against the bay, and the newer waterfront tower didn't have that smell, but that would require an upgrade. We heard talking (not yelling) from rooms on both sides of us throughout the night. We had to turn the tv on the entire night to drown out the noise. The room and sheets were well-cleaned, but the odor and noise caused the room I stayed at in to be the worse I have ever experienced, including stays in motel rooms.

That night we did zero gambling due to the stress and inconvenience of the food issues.

The next morning we waited in line about 1.5 hours to eat eggs and pancakes for about $40. After-wards we figured we'd try to make the best of the morning and relax at the pool. Every chair at the pool was taken, there was nowhere to sit other than on the floor.

Upon checkout, they refused to downgrade us again, and I had another 30 minute battle with them. The eventually stood down and reduced our charge to $110 for the room. I was expecting it to be $30 for the room because that's was the deal originally was when I signed up. They said that deal expired and there was "nothing they could do" I fought again but this time they did not budge, and I was forced to pay the full $110.

We are usually not the people to complain, and we always try to make the best of situations. However, our stay at Harrahs was disappointing. The staff treated us with no respect, and didn't care about our basic needs like eating food. The tower we stayed in was borderline inhabitable (major mold problem), and we spend all our time waiting in line and didn't even get to have fun and gamble. On top of all that, we were forced to pay more than we initially thought, again with zero care from the staff.

I really thought a hotel like Harrah's would want to keep their guests happy, and if there are any problems that they would accommodate them. I am happy however that I am able to write this review and share my experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Resort Atlantic City? Share your experiences!