“First time get away to Atlantic City” 5 of 5 stars

30% Off Travel Rates
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Warrenton, Virginia
“First time get away to Atlantic City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

My wife and I experienced our first trip to Atlantic City last week. We took advantage of the special pricing that Harrah’s was offering and booked a Waterfront Premium room for two nights (Sunday and Monday). We love Las Vegas and have been a bit reluctant to try Atlantic City, because the reviews are full of disappointed people. But after a delightful time, the only thing that we were disappointed about was that we hadn’t gone sooner.

We found Harrah’s staff to be very cordial from the first moment we arrived. When we were checking in I mentioned that I had made our reservations several months ago. I also related that I checked the night before our arrival and discovered that our room was being advertised for less than we had reserved it for. I presented the documentation that I had printed out and the manager happily gave us the room for the reduced price.

Harrah’s is a very big resort. We had been given directions to our room, but we still managed to get turned around. A member of the hotel security staff noticed our dilemma and asked if she could be of some assistance. She introduced herself as April and asked where we were trying to get to. After a quick explanation, she personally escorted us to the correct set of elevators that would access our room.

Our room was on the 43rd floor. The view of the City was breathtaking. Housekeeping did a wonderful preparing the room, which we found neat and clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the two person tile shower was the icing on the cake.

My wife, who just happens to be a massage therapist by trade, booked a massage at the Red Door Spa and said that it was well worth the money.

There were a few cons to our stay, as well, but overall we had a wonderful time.

CONS:

Harrah’s is expanding and construction begins early in the morning. At check-in they were right up front about this and let us know that we might experience some construction noise.

The parking garage is located at the far end of the casino and to get to the rooms, you have to carry all of your bags through all of the commotion of the casino. Parking was free however so that was a plus.

The biggest thing that I personally had an issue with was that there were no $ 5 Blackjack tables at Harrah’s. It appears that the minimum table in most of the casinos in Atlantic City is $ 10. I spent freely on food, spa, gifts, drinks, and entertainment, but I’m simply not a big gambler. I got the message that they don’t care for my kind. I did play for a while, but I never got that feeling of camaraderie that seems to develop naturally in Vegas. The other players were in foul moods weather they were winning or losing.

Eventually we went across the street to the Golden Nugget to look around. We located several $5 Blackjack tables that paid 3 to 2 odds and a much friendlier crowd. We ended up spending the rest of our gambling time at the Golden Nugget.

We’ll be back to visit Atlantic City again. Perhaps by then I'll have come to terms with my gambling problems, or lack of them.

Room Tip: The Waterfront Premium rooms are on the upper floors and have breathtaking views of the city.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,316)
  • Turkish first
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

this is a great hotel to stay in during the colder months due to the huge enclosed pool with approx 5 jacuzzi's and a few bars all under a glass dome.

stay in the waterfront tower which is newer and seems to be nicer than the other reviews i've read about the other towers. yes, there is a smell of smoke even though we were in a non-smoking room and area. it wasnt horrible but you could smell it. i was expecting worse from some of the other reviews but i was pleasantly surprised

the bathroom was big and comfortable. a few lights didn't work which was annoying because it got pretty dark. the bed was awesome

Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This was my first trip to Atlantic City in about 15 years and I had never been to Harrah's. Everything was really great. One reviewer had said there was a parking fee but when we got there we found it was free parking.

There was a long line to check in still at 6:30pm but it moved along swiftly. I had purchased the "Romantic Getaway" package on their website which included a "3 course gourmet dinner for 2". When we checked in I asked the girl about this and she had no idea what I was talking about. She checked with someone and while still not really knowing where we could use it we found out it was a $78 food and bev credit. Which wound up being awesome because we used it over the course of 2 days and saved $78 on the food we ate. For a package that cost me $122 including tax, then $78 off food, great deal!

The package was supposed to include 2pm late checkout but she said it was 1pm. I said that was fine either way, and she changed it to 2pm for us anyway.

Our room included in the package was in the Waterfront Tower. I reserved a smoking room with a king bed, she asked if a handicapped room was OK. We said of course, they have bigger bathrooms! I was so surprised the room did NOT smell like tobacco when we walked in. Everything was spotless, well decorated and large. We could have fit 6 people in the shower. The king bed was SO comfortable. HUGE window in the room really does give a nice view of the bay. VERY happy with the room.

We ate at the burger place, service was terrible the waiter was very overwhelmed - but the burger was good. $4 for a soda I could've gotten for free at a slot machine. We did the breakfast buffet at the Waterfront Buffet, they have several omlette/egg stations going, many different meats, yogurts, fruit, home fries and latkes, and table service for beverages. Amazing view of the pool area from here.

The pool is gorgeous. It's like an indoor oasis. Several hot tubs, cabanas, palm trees, and a huge glass dome roof. Even being there in December it felt like July in here. It turns into a nightclub at night but I didn't see it, we walked down there around midnight on Sunday and it was closed.

They're doing construction on a conference center, we heard no noise and felt no disruptions from this. Wouldn't even have known if they didn't warn us on arrival of some possible disturbances from 7am to 3pm.

Gaming was fun as well. I know I haven't been here in a long time, and my boyfriend had only ever been to a casino in Montana before, but we both had a lot of fun here. I had planned to take the shuttle the hotel offers to the Boardwalk to visit a couple other places but we didn't even need to. I found a few games that were very entertaining for the time we were there. It's a pretty docile gaming floor on Sunday nights in December.

We had such a good time my boyfriend wants to go back for his birthday in January and we will definitely stay at Harrah's and for longer.

Room Tip: Waterfront Tower has new, modern, beautiful rooms
King George, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Nice casino/hotel a few miles away from the boardwalk area. Parking was free (as opposed to having to pay down the street at Borgata). Hotel room was clean and well maintained; limited free TV channels; however, they want you down in the casino instead of in your room. Standard high end and expensive stores in the facility; there are a few cheaper places to eat on the property ($7.75 for 2 slices of pizza; $5 for a cup of Ben and Jerry's ice cream), or a buffet that I did not try that was in the $20-$30 range depending on breakfast/lunch/dinner. I went for a WSOP Circuit poker tournament; everything was well organized and run. I only spent a little time on the casino floor, but the dealers were very friendly. The cocktail waitresses were not dressed in something low cut, so you can bring a significant other without anyone getting in trouble!!
If you want to be able to wander down to the beach easily, then stay at one of the other properties. If you are looking for a Las Vegas style casino atmosphere with all of the associated peripheral items, then this is a fine place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I had a room on the 10th floor of the Harbourview Tower. The noise in the hallway easily traveled into the room, as did conversations from adjacent rooms. I've been to Harrah's before and have had better rooms. Also, even in a non-smoking room the air was permeated by the odor of tobacco smoke. This is an issue throughout the casino and hotel. On a positive note, check-in on Friday evening was quick and pleasant. I would only stay here again if I had a good deal on the room rate.

Dunkerque, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Here is what we can say a great hotel-casino !!!
All is perfect, the bedroom with THE panorama ... even the see on the laguna is amazing ... I'm sure it's better than the others ones ! great quality in the bedroom, space , etc etc and the price .... very low and the money you don't spent in the hotel, you play with.....
BUT there is no free wifi ( why ???) and no breakfast included! The self parking was free as others casinos weren't....
The summum is the swimming pool.... free and incredible equipments as jacuzzis, bars, sofas.... and you're in a jungle as the dome/swimming pool is a kind of palm trees paradise.
I advice you this hotel ... i

Lancaster PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We reserved a king size bed but none were available when we checked in. Long lines to check in on Sunday at 3pm.The large room on the 4th floor showed its age. Seems like everything was stained. The mold / mildew around the shower was gross. We had a late check out package but house keeping was knocking on our door at 8:30 am. We were told it was our fault for not putting a sign outside our door. We did eat at the Buffet, long line but the food was great.

Room Tip: Put a sign on your door to avoid a wake up by house keeping !!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Resort Atlantic City? Share your experiences!