“always here!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“always here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

i stay at Harrahs, at least 10-15 times a year for the past 3 years. I love going to the Pool nightclub. i always get in for free so why not. the rates are always low low low ....especially if you gamble a little bit every so often. the rooms are nice, but the Waterfront tower is where i always stay at since its in front of the nightclub. i never had an issue while i was staying here besides my last visit, took about almost an hour to check in due to the long line and only 3 agents working the desk. It was very frustrating and tiring. i guess they are understaffed. never had that problem before because they have a self-check in but they haven't been allowing people to use that lately. otherwise, always a great stay

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade, but be sure to tip
Green Features: they have signs in the room about "going green" ....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,939)
  • Turkish first
Mt. Pleasant, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

First, let me say that we are >65, so our comments will not appeal to young adults or to families vacationing at Harrah's with kids. We don't go for the nightlife or fancy restaurants. We go to Vegas several times a year (staying downtown instead of on the busy Strip) to have fun at blackjack and to enjoy the penny slots (playing the minimum so that we can play longer). We are not high-rollers.

We took a 2-night Junket from Thursday-Saturday to Atlantic City to Harrah's for the first time. We liked the fact that Harrah's was off the boardwalk. Unfortunately, even though we went in October, the weather was awful for our entire time---raining, windy, and cold. We left Harrah's only once, by jitney ($2.25) to the Golden Nugget because it was too miserable to walk. Maybe the bad weather turned out in our favor. We did not hear any construction noise that others have mentioned, and there were not late-night noisy pool parties, even on Friday night.

The hotel is huge, with several different towers, shops everywhere, a variety of restaurants, a gorgeous indoor swimming pool near the Waterfront Tower, and a lots of slot machines. It's clean, modern, and appealing. It was definitely crowded with day-trippers from NY and NJ, and Friday night was exceptionally crowded. On the positive side, they have non-smoking areas for slot machines and gaming tables (Blackjack was $10 minimum), which is something you don't find in Vegas. A real plus! Ordering drinks from the slot machines was easy and worked better than I had expected. Remember to keep your card in the machine or your order will be cancelled and your drink will never come. Again, a real plus for Harrah's.

The weather was too bad to go to the Boardwalk, but we did take a jitney ($2.25) to the Golden Nugget (#3 Jitney) since we couldn't walk in the rain and wind. These came frequently and worked out well for us.

Accommodations. We had a room in the newer Waterfront Tower, which is a long walk from the main area of the hotel, but it was a wonderful room with a huge glassed door shower and a nice view of the harbor. The Harbour Tower and Marina Tower are more central to the casino floor, but since I'm picky about accommodations, the Waterfront Tower was perfect for us (although the weather was too overcast and rainy to see much of the water view from the window)

Food: Very expensive---akin to prices on the strip in Vegas. We ate at Bill's Burgers and thought it was "average" at best. We would not eat there again. We ate appetizers during Happy Hour at the Golden Nugget (2-6PM weekdays), which were terrific, but for $6 each, the portions were very small. We ate a lunch buffet ($20) in the Waterfront tower. Some of it was good (desserts, especially), and it had a great salad bar if that's what you want on a buffet. Again, I wouldn't go back. It might be better to try to sub or pizza place for reasonably priced food for lunch, but we didn't have enough time to do that.

Penny Slots: In all my trips to Vegas, I never lost all my daily "allotment". I did here, and it went fast and without even teasing me. The penny machines at Harrahs are very tight. Plus, they are nearly all 40-50 cents as a minimum. There are tons of machines, representing the newer, fast technological machines that encourage faster button hitting (quick hits). The machines I played at GN in Vegas a few months ago for 10-25 cents were here at Harrah's for 50 cents minimum.

Bottom line: We'd go back again during mid-week, and we would stay in a Waterfront Tower room. We feel better informed in terms of getting around and where to eat, and we would play blackjack ($1 and $5 tables) and penny slots at the Golden Nugget at least half the time to make our money last.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Staten Island, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Harrah's has been our Atlantic City destination of choice for 30 years! We stayed in the Bayside Tower and the room was spectacular! Their staff, both in the hotel and on the casino floor are courteous and very helpful. Their pool is quite spectacular. Weekends are crowded with young, on the make, 20 somethings. So, if that's not your scene try weekdays. If you're a player, get a Rewards Card. You'll find Harrah's to be quite generous with their comps. Lots of excellent choices fo dining, from their excellent buffet, to the elegant Steak House. Go, and enjoy!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We arrived @ 3:00 pm on Friday the room was ready it was clean,bathroom was quite large, large shower good water pressure.the only problem was when we went back to our room very late Friday night the door would not open we called downstairs they gave us a new key & do you figure that didn't work either so they sent up a locksmith(can you believe it) he had to pry open the door,take out the lock & install a new one. After about 1 1/2 hrs. we finally got into our room.
After that the weekend went well ,great restaurants in the Casino.They were under construction, maybe next time construction will be over.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bradford, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was so looking forward to this trip. While my hubby was hunting, my sister and I planned a delightful getaway to Atlantic City. I had never been there before so I was happy to embark on another destination on my bucket list. Last year we went to Las Vegas and stayed at the Venetian ( see my review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g45963-d97704-Reviews-Venetian_Resort_Hotel_Casino-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html) and had a wonderful time so I couldn't wait to have some sister time in Atlantic City. What a letdown. I won't go back again and for many reasons....Let me count the ways:
1) Accommodations - After having played at many of the Total Rewards casinos I had earned enough to comp three nights at one of their Atlantic City locations. I chose Harrah's since it had an indoor pool and was off the Boardwalk. When we checked in - they gave us rooms in the Harbor Towers. Upon opening the door we were hit with such a musty stench that my sister literally recoiled in disgust. We also discovered that there are no safes in any of the Harbor Tower rooms . When we inquired about getting a different room, they were happy to upgrade us to a room in the Bayview Towers(which had in room safes) but at an additional $30 a night charge - so much for my "free room". When we got up there (room 18062) we heard a crane pounding away outside our window. We called the front desk who assured us the construction would stop at 3:30 in the afternoon but neglected to tell us that it would start again at 7 a.m. Forget about sleeping in...
2) Amenities - There is nothing in the room as far as welcome brochures/menus that tell you anything about the hotel. We wanted to see restaurant menus but were told they were available on a TV channel. When checking that out, it said the website was under construction. Even the concierge did not have menus we could take to peruse. Even more upsetting to me is the lack of tea bags. I like my tea in the morning and my sister developed a cold during our stay. We asked if we could get some tea bags and were told that we had to order them down in the casino - they weren't available in the rooms anymore. Really? No teabags???
3) Services - the shuttles that are touted online are a waste of time even if free. They come only about every hour and then, if you are not a 7 star or Platinum card holder and there are too many people that are, you will get bumped from the shuttle. I felt like a third class citizen being just a Gold member.
4) Comp values - My sister and I played all of the Total Rewards casinos. We probably gambled hundreds of dollars in all four (with no- and I mean NO winnings- unbelievably tight slot machines) only to find out that we had only earned $4.00 in food comp but it was cut in half at the only breakfast place so we got a measly $2.00 on our breakfast sandwiches. .That was it - three days of playing in their casinos and we got 2 bucks worth of food. We had better luck at the Golden Nugget which gave us a free buffet and at the Atlantic Club where we got slot money and a free lunch - just for playing at their individual casinos. I've played at many casinos and this is the worst comp I've ever had...
5) Departure - While checking out, I was asked that very standard question - "So, how was your stay at Harrah's?" When I politely discussed my displeasure on the issues I listed above, the lady at the desk acted bored like she had heard it all before and said "I'm sorry" but made no attempt to give any credence to my complaints - like offering to comp the room (for which I should have gotten comped anyway!) or asking if i wanted to speak to a manager. I got the impression that many people complain and they are unsympathetic.
Not only will I not return to Harrah's. I will not go back to Atlantic City. Other than the lovely weather we had, the beach, and the Boardwalk - I was unimpressed. I will be going back to Vegas next year.

Room Tip: Harbor Tower rooms are sub- par.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Union City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Came down to Atlantic City mainly to see Kathy Griffin at the Borgata. The rodeo was also in town, so hotel room prices were especially high. Fortunately, being a Total Rewards member I got a pretty good deal at Harrah's and it was close to the Borgata so it worked out. Did self-park, and got a space really quick and not too far from the entrance. Check in was a breeze, no wait at 8pm on Friday which was a shock! Also the woman at check-in, very nice and pleasant, gave us an upgrade to the Water Tower. Room was large and comfortable and clean. Had dinner and drinks at Bill's, which was a good time and again very nice service. Sunday morning brunch at the buffet, food was very good, just thought the price was a tad bit high. Although I would put it up there as the nicest place to have brunch in AC. Complaints? Yes, but only minor. The room is nice and clean, but beginning to show signs of age; water pressure in the shower could have been better and the sink took a while to drain. Also, I thought the casino was crowded. Our server at Bill's said it was actually a little slow which made me think, "What's it like when it's not slow!?!" But all-in-all a great hotel experience for a great weekend.

Room Tip: Water Tower is nice. The colors of the room and the view were very good.
Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
ONTARIO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We checked in on a Sunday afternoon in late September for our comp room. The lines were very long but moved fast. The girl on desk was super friendly. She offered us a choice between two room selections,something we had never encountered before. We were also told in advance about hotel construction noise in the morning,but we said it would not be an issue for us. The room we chose in the Waterfront Tower was the newest, but sad to say it looked a little worn. It was clean tho with a very nice bathroom and comfy king bed. We ate at Bills off of the casino floor. It was lively and had good burgers and where you could use your reward points. Meal free!!
Well you know what I mean! Harrah's Cafe the next morning was nice for breakfast sandwiches and pastries. We also tried the pool in the morning. We had stayed at Harrahs a couple of years ago and the pool was fairly new and so nice...lots of hot tubs. They have since incorporated a nightclub into the pool area with huge speakers and stage at either end. I'm sure this is fine at night but it makes the area claustrophobic in the day. The space on the upper level where we used to sit in the sun had been eliminated. So we were disappointed, but maybe had just become spoiled by the Borgata. We also went for a walk along the sculpture trail. It follows the water from the Borgata to Harrah's and then on to the Nugget .Do try it. It is a nice break.Our one complaint with it was, it comes to a stop at the parking garages at each end with no signage for entering the hotels. You would think they would encourage walkers to come in for lunch or maybe loose a few dollars. All in all for a comp or at a reasonable price, Harrah"s at the Marina is a great choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple