“About the casino, not hotel” 2 of 5 stars

30% Off Travel Rates
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“About the casino, not hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had arrived in Atlantic City on short notice and wanted to be by the water so we stopped first at Harrah's. Never got past the main floor. The smoke was awful. Apparently the Casino has a non smoking and smoking area, but the entire floor was permeated with smoke odor. Very offensive.
We inquired from several people where we should try to book a room and they actually seemed confused at the question. On the overall, from parking, valet to Concierge, we felt people were rude and everything was just plain unpleasant along with the overall appearance dirty. We decided to move on and glad we did!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,316)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed from September 8-9th 2013.

Poor points for families thinking of staying here:
1. Casino smoking and non smoking sections are intermixed throughout the ground floor, leading to smoke throughout the whole lobby area
2. Kids not allowed in the main pool. For that matter people from foreign countries appear to not be allowed either, as my wife's brothers were denied from the pool twice for not having the "correct id" for 21 and over. Apparently, a driver's license which you can use to rent a car, pay for the hotel etc. is not good enough for the main pool. Also of note, just because you are staying in the hotel does not give you any right to use their facilities beyond what a visitor to the hotel can use.
3. Walls are paper thin, you can hear everything above a hushed whisper. I will say the rooms are nice and spacious though, and the bed is good quality
4. The kids pool is away from everything, meaning to get food etc. requires >10 min walk.
5. Staff at restaurants and pools are generally rude and act like they are doing you a favor by doing their job. The front staff were nice but extremely busy and too few.
6. The hotel is not on the main strip and is away from essentially everything. For similar prices, you can stay in a multitude of hotels on the strip.
7. After a friday/saturday night, cigarrette butts, beer cups etc. litter the hallways. This is understandable, but then you realize its past noon and things still have not been cleaned.
8. Elevators are broken throughout hotel, and you can not even get from the parking lot to the main hotel with a stroller without going outside and crossing the street and entering from the front.

To summarize, if you have kids stay away from this hotel. It is clear that they do not want your business or money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Clementon, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Booked a Bayview Tower room with 2 queen beds, which was not a disappointment. We stayed overnight on 9/7. Room 12070. Celebrating a 21st bday. Three ladies, 2 queens beds, and we were comfortable.

If you are looking to party, enjoy walking around in your bathing suit, and enjoy more beverages throughout the day. Harrah's is a good deal for the prices they offer.

Now, if you are looking for a quiet, mellow vacation during the summer, seek accommodations elsewhere.

Pros:

Check-in line moved fast
Check-in associate was friendly and helpful.
COMFY BEDS with clean sheets.
Huge Bathrooms with separate room for the toilet.
Bathrooms had a spa-like bathtub and spacious shower.
Water pressure in the shower is great!
Lots of towels.
Clean room
Flat screen tv
Working mini-fridge
Front Desk is really helpful and friendly.
The thermostat is user-friendly, and does not take long to feel a difference temperature-wise in the guestroom.

Every time we called down to the Front desk, someone picked up within 2 or 3 rings, and provided all the information or requests we needed.

Room had a table with two chairs, plus a desk with chair. All of it was sturdy, and more importantly not broken or wobbly.

Housekeeping brought up our requests within 15 minutes. We requested for an extra bottle of shampoo/conditioner and bar of soap. They gave us ample amounts of both. Thank you.

They have security at the elevators. If you don't have a room key, or with the person who has the room key, you're not getting upstairs. I saw several people kicked off the elevators, because they used the "my key is upstairs", or "I'm heading to my friend's room upstairs".

You can check out via TV, phone, and/or express checkout in the lobby.

As for the casino, the Dealers are friendly, helpful, and they look out for you. Witnessed one of the dealers tell a patron to put his big money chips in his pockets, or pass them to his friend so nothing would happen to them. Also witnessed dealers explaining games to first-time players, which encouraged a social/friendly atmosphere.

Cons:

***Please change the signs directing people where to obtain taxi service. Coming from the Bayview tower, we followed the signs directing us to go towards the back of the building by valet pick up. We were advised by a Harrah's associate, the Taxis were no longer at that location, but by the front of the building, where the main entrance is located across from the lobby. We ended up bumping into a another group of ladies who were also in search of a taxi, and followed the signs above to direct them to the wrong location as well. Fortunately, we bumped into them before they stood there wondering "Where are the taxis?" Moral of the story: Change signs directing patrons where taxis are located please.

It is not on the strip, and you will have to cab it to the strip ($13 for 5 passengers) or drive over. There is a shuttle that comes around every hour, but if you don't have a platinum or diamond total rewards card, you are most likely not getting on it. Also for non-card holders or gold total reward card holders, the shuttle is $2.50.

When entering the resort from self-parking garage, after you get off the elevator from the garage, there isn't a ramp built in with the stairs (the stairs before you get to the escalator to go down into the resort) for people with roller luggage. It is annoying having to lift your luggage up to get up and down those steps.

The check-in lobby is a far walk from the self-parking garage. I saw so many people lugging their weekend bags and complaining "where is the lobby?"

The walls in the rooms need to be insulated or sound proofed. Every time I was in the bathroom, I could hear conversations of random people clear as day as they walked by our room in the hallway, and conversations in other rooms. These people were not yelling while having conversations either, they were talking at an average decibel, and I could hear them clearly while using the facilities. The walls are thin. If you are a loud lover, the other guests are going to know it. At one point we thought we heard spanking next door, which is a possibility. Again, the Walls are Thin.

There isn't a hotel menu in the room. You have to request it from the front desk. Technically they offered that information via television, BUT the resort's activities/restaurant information channel was under construction.

The table did have some paint scraped off of it from previous guests, but nothing significantly chipped away. Not a serious issue for us, BUT I can see how that may be an issue for other patrons.

The fan didn't work in the bathroom, but again, it didn't seem to be a huge concern for us.

There is a line to use the the elevators for the self-parking garage around 12pm (check-out time: 12pm) Be fair warned.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Grandy, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I had a two night stay at Harrah's in Atlantic city. We checked in and asked if we could up grade to a suite in their Atrium tower. The lovely young lady cordially gave us what we want. We went to our suite and unpacked. We met friends and drank at a bar and eventually started gambling. Slots only. About 2 a.m. we went to our room. Approximately 4:30 a.m. my wife got up to use the bathroom when she slipped on the wet floor and hit her foot on the vanity cutting her big toe. We called immediately to report the situation. We were told that WE would have to return our key in exchange for another room. ARE YOU KIDDING?? No one could come up with a new room key and help us with our luggage? This wasn't our fault! My wife went down to get another key 10 floors lower in the hotel. While she was at the front desk the phone rang in room 1458 and some man said he was from maintenance and that the leak in our room was due to the room above us over flowing their tub. AT 4 a.m.? Could it have been toilet water? I'm sure they wouldn't tell me that. He advised me the leak should be stopping. I answered back, that I am not staying in this room!! He then agreed and said I just wanted you to know what was leaking. I bet you did!!! So we hauled 2 suitcases and a few items on hangers to room 560. Once in our room we noticed a filthy couch and chair. The room wreaked of cigarette smoke and we smoke but you could tell this room hadn't been cleaned in weeks. The bathroom was old and needed grout around the tub not to mention some kind of mold on the floor by the tub. So we decided to just leave but I then noticed I left my wallet, cash and wedding band in the first room. I called downstairs and asked if someone could meet me at room 1458 so I could retrieve my belongings. The girl on the phone said we would have to wait till 9 a.m. when house keeping comes in. I slammed the phone down and went to the desk in person....FUMING. I asked to speak to a manager and was told he arrives at 8 a.m. but she asked what my problem was. I explained and she got me someone from security to escort me back to 1458 and I was able to get my belongings back. Why couldn't that be done with my first phone call. I did register a complaint with the manager at 8 a.m. and he just stared at me like a robot and said he was sorry and did I need help checking out. I said I checked out already and once again he said he was sorry and walked back to his office. What a disgrace this hotel/casino has become. I even noticed how dirty the wall is behind the counter where I stood for over 15 minutes waiting for the manager. Holes in the wall also. Like I told him. I have stayed in better rooms in motels where I pay by the hour. Stay away from Harrah's Atlantic City.

Room Tip: Stay at the Golden Nugget
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I brought my family to Harrah's two day's before New Years Eve. The room was comfortable and clean but I think the hotel could use a renovation. We went to the Waterfront Buffet. It was very good and they had a huge selection of food. We had our kids with us and Harrah's has a game room with different games for the kids. The family pool was being renovated so the kids were disappointed but overall, the kids loved the experience. The lobby was decorated for the holidays and it was beautiful. I like to gamble and Harrah's definitely has a nice gaming area. Overall, our experience was enjoyable and we would return their again. I would bring my children again too!

Room Tip: We were in The Bay Tower and we didn't have any problems with noise.
Green Features: Harrah's recycles which I loved. I'm big on recycling so I was very pleased when they had a separate bin in the room for your recyclables.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Central Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Was very disappointed with the care and location of this hotel. Went here to gamble but did not realize that it is not on the Boardwalk and is OLD.... First night there, a Wednesday mind you, had a multiple occupant 20-something loud party room next door. Called front desk to change rooms and was told hotel is "full" and cannot relocate. Only alternative was to have security talk to the occupants to quiet down and that one warning is all they get and then they are out. Heard through the walls when security came to talk to the group. Group was quiet until they left at 11 pm to go drinking. Then whenever the time it was they came back drunk as skunks, it was party time again!!!! I was too tired to call security again as I was exhausted [had flown in for this vacation]. Next morning however was party time beginning at 8 am. Outside yelling down hall to buddies or whomever....Second night was baby night. Next door had screaming baby at all hours. Third night was quiet for that room, but the room on the other side got to the room at 3 am and was banging doors, drawers and talking in "outside voices." Why do people think that everyone on the floor needs to hear them when they arrive, starting when they are in the hallway? Oh, and how did I hear all this? Walls are paper thin.. really. I could hear people breathing in the next room, much less other activities and don't get me started on hearing the toilets flush [of course heard them peeing to begin with]. And I guess people in NJ are just plain rude. Not one phone call from the front desk asking me if I was satisfied with the room after I had complained the night before! I have been to Vegas in multiple hotels and have never heard such a ruckus and rude people in the hotel rooms. This is a place I will NEVER go to again. Good luck!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I decided to go to Atlantic CIty to celebrate my birthday. We decided to stay away from the broadwalk so we chose the Harrah's Resort, what a great choice. The clerk that checked us in was very nice and even gave us complimentary tickets to their nightclub. Our room was in the Water Towers and it was beyond what I expected after reading some reviews. The room was clean and welcoming. The bathroom was big and clean! The view was great and we enjoyed looking out the window at the water, boats and birds. The overall appearance of the hotel was great and I would stay at the Harrah's the next time I am in Atlantic City.

Room Tip: Stay in the Water Towers.
Green Features: I loved the environmental pamphlet that was left in the hotel because it reminded you of things you could do to keep the maintain a safe and friendly environment.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Resort Atlantic City? Share your experiences!