“Horrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grandy, North Carolina
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I had a two night stay at Harrah's in Atlantic city. We checked in and asked if we could up grade to a suite in their Atrium tower. The lovely young lady cordially gave us what we want. We went to our suite and unpacked. We met friends and drank at a bar and eventually started gambling. Slots only. About 2 a.m. we went to our room. Approximately 4:30 a.m. my wife got up to use the bathroom when she slipped on the wet floor and hit her foot on the vanity cutting her big toe. We called immediately to report the situation. We were told that WE would have to return our key in exchange for another room. ARE YOU KIDDING?? No one could come up with a new room key and help us with our luggage? This wasn't our fault! My wife went down to get another key 10 floors lower in the hotel. While she was at the front desk the phone rang in room 1458 and some man said he was from maintenance and that the leak in our room was due to the room above us over flowing their tub. AT 4 a.m.? Could it have been toilet water? I'm sure they wouldn't tell me that. He advised me the leak should be stopping. I answered back, that I am not staying in this room!! He then agreed and said I just wanted you to know what was leaking. I bet you did!!! So we hauled 2 suitcases and a few items on hangers to room 560. Once in our room we noticed a filthy couch and chair. The room wreaked of cigarette smoke and we smoke but you could tell this room hadn't been cleaned in weeks. The bathroom was old and needed grout around the tub not to mention some kind of mold on the floor by the tub. So we decided to just leave but I then noticed I left my wallet, cash and wedding band in the first room. I called downstairs and asked if someone could meet me at room 1458 so I could retrieve my belongings. The girl on the phone said we would have to wait till 9 a.m. when house keeping comes in. I slammed the phone down and went to the desk in person....FUMING. I asked to speak to a manager and was told he arrives at 8 a.m. but she asked what my problem was. I explained and she got me someone from security to escort me back to 1458 and I was able to get my belongings back. Why couldn't that be done with my first phone call. I did register a complaint with the manager at 8 a.m. and he just stared at me like a robot and said he was sorry and did I need help checking out. I said I checked out already and once again he said he was sorry and walked back to his office. What a disgrace this hotel/casino has become. I even noticed how dirty the wall is behind the counter where I stood for over 15 minutes waiting for the manager. Holes in the wall also. Like I told him. I have stayed in better rooms in motels where I pay by the hour. Stay away from Harrah's Atlantic City.

Room Tip: Stay at the Golden Nugget
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,327)
  • Turkish first
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I brought my family to Harrah's two day's before New Years Eve. The room was comfortable and clean but I think the hotel could use a renovation. We went to the Waterfront Buffet. It was very good and they had a huge selection of food. We had our kids with us and Harrah's has a game room with different games for the kids. The family pool was being renovated so the kids were disappointed but overall, the kids loved the experience. The lobby was decorated for the holidays and it was beautiful. I like to gamble and Harrah's definitely has a nice gaming area. Overall, our experience was enjoyable and we would return their again. I would bring my children again too!

Room Tip: We were in The Bay Tower and we didn't have any problems with noise.
Green Features: Harrah's recycles which I loved. I'm big on recycling so I was very pleased when they had a separate bin in the room for your recyclables.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Central Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Was very disappointed with the care and location of this hotel. Went here to gamble but did not realize that it is not on the Boardwalk and is OLD.... First night there, a Wednesday mind you, had a multiple occupant 20-something loud party room next door. Called front desk to change rooms and was told hotel is "full" and cannot relocate. Only alternative was to have security talk to the occupants to quiet down and that one warning is all they get and then they are out. Heard through the walls when security came to talk to the group. Group was quiet until they left at 11 pm to go drinking. Then whenever the time it was they came back drunk as skunks, it was party time again!!!! I was too tired to call security again as I was exhausted [had flown in for this vacation]. Next morning however was party time beginning at 8 am. Outside yelling down hall to buddies or whomever....Second night was baby night. Next door had screaming baby at all hours. Third night was quiet for that room, but the room on the other side got to the room at 3 am and was banging doors, drawers and talking in "outside voices." Why do people think that everyone on the floor needs to hear them when they arrive, starting when they are in the hallway? Oh, and how did I hear all this? Walls are paper thin.. really. I could hear people breathing in the next room, much less other activities and don't get me started on hearing the toilets flush [of course heard them peeing to begin with]. And I guess people in NJ are just plain rude. Not one phone call from the front desk asking me if I was satisfied with the room after I had complained the night before! I have been to Vegas in multiple hotels and have never heard such a ruckus and rude people in the hotel rooms. This is a place I will NEVER go to again. Good luck!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I decided to go to Atlantic CIty to celebrate my birthday. We decided to stay away from the broadwalk so we chose the Harrah's Resort, what a great choice. The clerk that checked us in was very nice and even gave us complimentary tickets to their nightclub. Our room was in the Water Towers and it was beyond what I expected after reading some reviews. The room was clean and welcoming. The bathroom was big and clean! The view was great and we enjoyed looking out the window at the water, boats and birds. The overall appearance of the hotel was great and I would stay at the Harrah's the next time I am in Atlantic City.

Room Tip: Stay in the Water Towers.
Green Features: I loved the environmental pamphlet that was left in the hotel because it reminded you of things you could do to keep the maintain a safe and friendly environment.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been staying at Harrah's for years. I have noticed a huge decline in the property in the last couple of years. My hotel room on this stay smelled musty. There was mold and mildew all over the shower. At least a dozen stains all over the carpet and dust everywhere. I will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2013
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at Harrah's the last week of August 2013. After making the reservations I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews. I must say that I was very happy staying there. I had a Bayview room on the 20th floor. The room was clean and large and had everything I needed - flat screen TV, frig, safe, large bathroom with oversized tub and separate shower. The view of the bay, ocean, and Atlantic skyline was beautiful. The beds were comfy and I slept well every night. The cleaning staff was very friendly and did a nice job every day. The air conditioning was quiet and kept the room at a comfortable 69 degrees.

The restaurants were good but pricey. I had the buffet and it was one of the best I ever been to. The variety of food was excellent. The clam chowder and Mack and cheese were memorable there. Bill's had wonderful burgers and every time I ate there I had to have one of their banana shakes. Breakfasted at Sammy D's and had good food but again pricey.

The casino is huge, has a lot of action, and a great variety of slots. Most of it is nonsmoking but I got used to that.

Transportation to and from the airport was very convenient. I rode the free shuttle to the boardwalk without problems. I also took the Jitney to Borgota. In the evening I would always catch a cab back to save time.

The only complaint I had was the long check in lines at the front desk. I had to wait in line for almost an hour and noticed long lines there everyday during my stay. Don't understand why the hotel can't resolve this problem. Checkout over the phone was quick and easy though.

Room Tip: Book a Bayview room on a high floor with an ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ashkelon, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed one night on the way from Newark airport to Washington D.C.
The room was excellent and beyond, nice pool, wonderful restaurants (don't miss the Waterfront Buffet). I am not a gambler but i most enjoyed strolling in the casino, seeing people lose/win money. Outstanding experience overall.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Harrah's Resort Atlantic City? Share your experiences!