“Not my type of place” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Alexandria, VA
“Not my type of place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Honesty upfront: I have no interest in casinos and was here for a group event at the convention center; reservations were made for us by the organizer at this hotel. If you are going to Atlantic City or Harrah's for the casinos, other reviews will be more helpful. Don't stay here if you're interested in an ocean beach experience because it is nowhere near the beach and as far as we could find, has no ocean views.

After self-parking in the garage (there is valet service but we didn't use it), you have to walk a very long distance all the way through the huge casino to get to the lobby and check-in. There was a long line for check-in and the clerks had signs indicating which levels of membership they would serve, but really were just taking everyone in turn. The clerk was very nice but did not explain the parking garage fee system, which resulted in some confusion the first time we drove out, and did not activate our credit card, which resulted in a delay when we first tried to charge something to our room.

Our room in the Bayview Tower was spacious, beautiful, and very comfortable. (Others in our group who stayed in Marina Tower were less pleased, but we didn't see those rooms ourselves.) The bathroom was large, clean and nice-looking. However, the shower was designed for handicap access, with a removable chair and a shower-head that could be handheld. The problem is that there was no slope to the drain and the shower curtain ended about a foot above the floor, so the water leaked extensively all over the floor all along the side, creating a serious slip-and-fall hazard. No bathmat was provided, probably because it would have been ineffective against such a mess, which required a fresh full-size towel to clean up after each person showered. Whether this is standard in all bathrooms or just in select rooms (we didn't request handicap access), I don't know.

Room service breakfast was very good. There are a variety of lunch and dinner choices at various price ranges throughout the hotel. The dinner we had one night at the Waterfront Buffet was very good. It had a very large variety with surprisingly good quality considering the large quantities being produced. (Despite the name, we saw no sign of any water view in the area we were seated.)

No one under 21 is allowed in the pool at any time. That, combined with the need to hike through the entire casino any time you come in and out, the lack of access to the beach and boardwalk, and the large number of people who loudly traipse up and down the halls in various stages of inebriation all night while people are trying to sleep, make this not a place for a family trip. It doesn't claim to be, and most of the clientele probably prefer it that way; I'm just adding that as a caution for those unfamiliar with Atlantic City who might think that any hotel there would a suitable place for a family vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,331)
  • Turkish first
Staten Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The stay here was just for one night to meet up with friends. Our room was located on the 16th floor and although the room was non smoking, it had an odor of smoke. I verified with the front desk if the entire floor was non smoking and they said it was. The room was dark, but clean. Bed was comfortable. My opinion of this room is average at best. Nothing special, but good enough for one night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheraw, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

just got back home from spending 3 nights with my daughter for my birthday. 1-30 to 2-1 2013 stayed comp we stayed in the marina tower. it has began to show it age. but the bed was comfortable. the bathroom had rust around the tub. toliet seat moved around. room needed dusting. windows needed to be clean.had a problem with the heat,but it was fix right away.the casino machines are the very tight. had to wait about 30minutes for a drink. may stay again but will change towers

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Got a great room rate and upgraded at check in. Hotwire or get a casino rate, they give these rooms away. I noticed the hotel had tons of the younger drunk crowd as the pool had multiple nights of parties. Didnt affect my stay, I slept like a baby in the great beds and spacious rooms. Off younger kids having fun isn't your thing, maybe try a quieter spot. Parking was 5 bucks a day but with a casino card it was comped and the valet is a few bucks for a tip. Would def stay here again in any future trips to AC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We took advantage of a comp room to get away to Atlantic City for an overnight. I was hesitant to stay here after some of the reviews I had recently read . Our room was in the waterfront tower on the 24th floor. Upon check in we had a very lovely front desk lady named Anna who welcomed us and gave us our room keys. We had asked for non-smoking. We entered our room to find a thick heavy smell of cigarette smoke. Back to the front desk we had another lovely young woman who apologized and gave us another room. This room was fine. The room was sixable and clean albeit a bit worn, as others have mentioned. When we first entered the elevator, there was a dirty wet towel and some trash in the corner of the elevator. It was still there throughout the night. Oher than that, I did not find the hotel hallways, etc. to be particularly dirty. Our room was quiet and had a nice view. I will say that all the personnel in the casino, hotel and restaurants were friendly, warm and cordial. They all seemed to enjoy their jobs and wanted to make people feel welcome. We also had a $50 food credit which allowed us to eat breakfast for free at Sammy D's and it was really good. Diane, our waitress was particularly nice. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Great place to see a show or do some gambling. Plenty of open table to keep you in any game. Poker room is great. Good deals on food and don't forget to bring your bathing suit for the pool club. Always 82 degrees in this covered pool with multiple bars, personal cabanas which are reasonable to rent, hot tubs and more. Look for great deals on rooms. I received my deluxe room for $42 a night! Awsome!

• Stayed January 2013
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Took an over night trip to AC on Friday 1/25 with my girl friend of 5 years, we are both 23. I've stayed at a few casino's in AC (Caesars, Trop, Showboat), but considering we didn't want to venture outside much we decided on Harrah's because it is large, has multiple restaurants, and the pool/pool after dark.

The Room- Marina Tower 15th Floor 4.5/5
After reading the reviews I was expecting the worst, but figured I'm not here to stay in my room so who cares. The room was much better than I expected, with hard wood, a love seat, comfy chair, and 2 desk chairs. The only thing I would change is some of the pictures on the wall and the bathroom was a little dark with an interesting setup. We had zero issues with noise from other rooms/hallways. All in all, this base room at Harrahs is much larger and better then the base at Caesars much less. ps It seems like the Waterfront Tower had most of the louder guests

Restaurants - Dos Caminos, Food Court, Bill's 4/5
Dos Caminos had great food and drinks. I made a quick reservation online in advance, got there 15 minutes early and they took us in. Happy Hour specials are only at the bar. Get the guac
Food Court, pizza was fine, pretzels were good, a little over priced as you would expect but not by much
Bill's - went for a quick lunch Saturday afternoon, good beer selection, food was solid (turkey burger and sliders)

Casino - 3.75/5
The casino was more than satisfactory, but still left a little to be desired. The smokey smell was not nearly as bad as I've noticed in the Trop or Showboat, but still noticeable. There were times when it was tough to get on the craps table, but that happens everywhere at peak hours. The table went hot and we only went through 3 rollers in 2 hours. Penny slots were kind to us, I hit a $100 jackpot, my gf hit something in the $50s. The layout took a little while to get used to (Caesars is all in a line so its pretty simple to navigate).

Pool 4.5/5
The pool was clean during the day on Friday, crowded but we were able to get seats, they had a game of volleyball going which was fun.

After Dark was a lot of fun, people of all ages there (saw a group in a wheel chair and with walkers). Still to Bud Light, its only $6 a piece vs $12 for an absolut (well) vodka drink. Music was obviously very clubby, but we had a great time.

Other - We used the TR shuttle, it runs very infrequently, don't rely on it if you have to get someone on time.

Early check in was only $11 for 3 hours early

Easy check out

Room service is expensive (Duh)

How could I forget, you order your drinks on a touch screen from the slots, by far my favorite new feature.

Overall it was a great experience and will continue to stay and play at Harrah's when it's cold

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Resort Atlantic City? Share your experiences!