“Great Views Old rooms” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
White Stone, Virginia
“Great Views Old rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This property is getting a bit dated.Over all though the staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the king-bed and pillows were comfortable. I arrived around 3pm for the 4pm check in on a Monday. I was pleased to see there was no line and was immediately waved over to a front desk person. She was very efficient and gave me what she said was a $10/night upgrade to the Bayview Tower. (I had booked into the Harbor Tower.) Upon entering my room on the 17th floor (odd numbered side) the first thing I noticed was the view, it was gorgeous. I had been in the room only a couple of minutes before a housekeeping supervisor knocked on my door and asked if my room was to my satisfaction, I said she would know better than I and invited her in to look about. She did a quick exam and gave the housekeeper who had cleaned it a passing grade. She was very nice and I was impressed by her efficiency. After she departed I started to settle in, and that's when I began to find small, but annoying features. The TV was an old box style with a terrible picture and very limited channel selection, I would not have wasted my money on an in-room movie to watch with that horrible screen quality, furthermore the remote's battery cover was broken and the batteries kept falling out. Then I noticed the peeling wallpaper over the tub, and the shower door had to be slammed to close it. That night I discovered that the safety latch on my door was broken. I called security the next morning and they had it fixed by the time I returned to my room. Still these little things were irritating enough to cause me to only give the hotel a 3 rating.The ice machine was broken on that floor and I was sent to the 18th where it worked. Amusingly on my way up in the elevator later it stopped at the 16th floor where a girl got on with an ice bucket. She said the ice machine didn't work on her floor I told her not to bother with 17 and go to 18, she said she had tried the 8th and 14th floors and they didn't work either. Still later in my stay I directed another person to 18 for ice, obviously this was a real problem, and it was annoying to have to wait for an elevator just to get ice. I booked using my Total Rewards card and my 3 day stay from Mon-Thur only cost me $72.46 so I could overlook some minor irritations, but if I'd been paying more than that I would have been very dissatisfied.

Room Tip: The Bayview Tower had great views facing east with an awesome sunrise. I was on the 17th floor in an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,327)
  • Turkish first
oakdale ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Harrahs warerfront is great, buffet, AAA,room nice, gaming nice , customer service horrifically bad, rude, crass, should all be fired , drove 4 hours was told the room is ready but your early , so pay a fee, really Harrahs ? Goodbye to you , hello borgata

• Stayed October 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon. The valet was a mess. The check-in line was long and slow. We checked in and paid over 300.00 for our waterfront tower, king, non-smoking room. Upon entering the room, we both recognized the strong smell of smoke. As my husband suffers from allergies and was recovering from a severe chest cold, I immediately called the front desk to inform them that the room had an overwhelming odor of smoke. I was told that the room was a non-smoking room and no switch would be made. I tried to convince the programmed front desk agent that the room clearly was not smoke free and my husband's health required a non smoking room. The clerk simply repeated, over and over again, that I was in a non-smoking room. The only option was to keep the room "as is" or vacate the room for 90 minutes so that a miracle machine could be operated in the room. Allergy induced asthma and breathing difficulties make a non-smoking room a medical necessity for some as opposed to a simple preference. While in the room for the 15 minutes and 5 phone calls to the front desk my husband's face became red, started to swell and he had difficulty breathing. Keeping the room was not an option. We left the room and headed back to the front desk. The manager came to speak to us. He too suggested the air cleaning machine. Over $300.00 for 19 hours in a hotel room and the management wants to occupy the room for 90 minutes to deliver what was promised. He had no way to help us. Our options were limited. We told him it was ashame because we were meeting friends at Harrah's pricey steakhouse for a celebration dinner. We also had spa reservations and intended to play. We then asked for a refund. Miraculously, other options became available! Still what we asked for and paid for was not available. In short, my husband's medical condition was ignored despite the fact that we reserved and paid for a non- smoking room. The front desk staff was not competent to handle the problem. We will never return and would not recommend this place to an enemy, let alone a friend.

Room Tip: The waterfront tower is the newest tower.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This was my first time in Atlantic City. My boyfriend and I stayed at the Harrah's Resort for one night. I will say we were both very pleased. When we first stepped foot into the resort, we both were taking a back with amazement. It was luxurious, had beautiful decor, and definitely modern and updated. It didn't have that nasty smoke smell like most of the other hotels. We stayed in the Bayview Premium King bed room located in the Bayview Tower. All I can say is CLEAN! CLEAN! CLEAN! I mean I did not hesitate to get comfortable. Although it was further away from the boardwalk it didn't matter because it had enough amenities that kept us content. The Pool was the best feature for us. We enjoyed the nice relaxing indoor pool. With all the trees and natural light coming through the dome windows, it really felt like an oasis; just in doors. My boyfriend and I enjoyed alone time in 1 of the 4 (may be 5, lol don't remember) hot tubs. I would love to come back to Harrah's Resort with my girl friends. The atmosphere was vibrant and definitely a party hotel. Unfortunately, we didn't head down to The Pool After Dark party, but from the sound and looks of things it was popping. Checking in and out was a breeze. Food was excellent. Service was great. The workers were very nice. Over all great hotel can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

stayed oct. 2nd for three nights and was comped for two of them and reduced rate for third night. room was not ready when we checked in early so they upgraded us to the bayview tower. don't know why but room was great. room was very clean and hallways were clean and it was always quiet even though on wed. nite ther were alot of young kids on the floor. this is about the tenth time my wife and i have stayed here and we have never has a problem. we like the variety of machines and the table games. we have stayed on the boardwalk before and find this is just as good. the check in clerkand housekeeping were very friendly toward us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just came back from a one night stay at Harrahs. It was my first time back in 3 years and it was as good as I had remembered. From check-in, the pool, and restaurants, every employee we came in contact with gave us such wonderful service. I really felt like my business was appreciated and that they truly cared. I know there are other reviews here that mention poor service and they did concern me before my trip, but I have to tell you, ignore those negative people. I don't know what place they're talking about, because I thought Harrahs was great and I am looking forward to going back soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The first sign of absolute filth was the parking garage. It looks like a city municipal parking garage.The next area is the elevators to the room. They could use a major wash down and good vaccuming. On the way to the room was a dirty rubber glove on the floor Now to the room. There was liquid spilled on the floor, the carpets were never vacuumed, the end tables had crumbs on them, and instead of removing the broken television, they just placed the working one in front of it. The room smelled of stale cigarettes and booze. It was disgusting. I called the front desk to have housekeeping clean the room but no one showed up. I waited 45 minutes and called the front desk again. They told me to come down to get a room change. Finally two hours after I checked in I finally had a room. This is my first time in Harrah's and obviously my last. I know times are bad, but this was horrendous. I didn't see a cleaner anywhere in the hotel. I have no problem spending the money on a nice hotel and I normally stay at the MGM in Foxwoods which is great. This trip I spent the bulk of my vacation in the REVEL. I wish I booked my room their. The prices were cheaper and the restaurants were excellent. It's also right on the boardwalk. I wish I read the reviews. Shame on me.

Room Tip: Stay some place else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Resort Atlantic City? Share your experiences!