“ROOM 1572” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
ONTARIO
“ROOM 1572”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We checked in on a Friday afternoon about 4:30...no lines. Promptly given our requested king nonsmoking room.The room was dated but clean with good size bathroom. We called house keeping to ask for extra pillows and they were delivered right away. We left for the evening happy but upon returning and retiring for the night the problem arose. A whining noise that ebbed and flowed ,over and over. It was impossible to sleep, and short story short ,we realized it was the elevators. The tower we were in was 15 floors and we were 2 rooms down from the elevators. Our only solution was turning on the unneeded air conditioner with the fan running on high to try and mask one noise with another constant one. On check out we told the girl when she asked how was our stay, and she was very apologetic. This however did not help our sleepless night. My issue was with the girl who checked us in. When the hotel is not busy, and you arrive early, ROOMS with problems should be the last ones given out whether comped or not.
This aside, The Showboat was a nice hotel. It was brightly decorated in a New Orleans style. It was an easy trip from self parking to the lobby. The casino was well laid out with newer machines and without a smokey smell. The Earl of Sandwich had an exceptionally good breakfast sandwich with unlimited coffee refills. And we both liked this end of the board walk..... very well maintained next to the Revel with nice beach area. Even The Taj looked as if it had been freshly painted white.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

1,452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Over the labor day weekend we decided to take a trip to AC for the long weekend. Our normal hotel, the Taj Mahal was sold out on Saturday night so we moved next door to the Showboat. WHAT A MISTAKE! At check in we called ahead and was told check in time is noon today. So we arrived at 1245 and check is at 1pm unless we paid a ten dollar early check in fee. I explained of the lady we spoke with and the front desk laughed at me and said they were wrong and there was nothing to do. After explaining to them I will walk next door and spend my money they were happy to give me my room. We walked up to our room we were shocked to see how run down the hotel was. 2 elevators broken, stained carpets, and broken lighting invited us to our room. Swing open the door and the horrible smell of smoke in our "non-smoking room". As that was not enough the carpet was cover in as many stains as the hall way, the drapers had blood on them and the bathroom looked like it was last cleaned months ago. After that we packed up and ran from this horror story. Hotwire was little to no help and we had to file a claim with our credit card. Please review the photos and beware! This is not a hotel you want to stay at!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My family and I (my mom, husband, son and I) stayed at Showboat from 9/29/13-10/4/13 in one room. We were there all week with about 20 bags, 6 of which had lots of clothes and shoes. On Thursday afternoon, I packed everything up so we could enjoy our last night there and would not be concerned with packing. As soon as I was done, my son saw a bug crawling on the headboard. We caught the bug on a tissue and tried to shake it into the toilet. It would not come off the tissue, so we put it in a plastic bag to be sure it could not get loose. We looked up bed bugs on the internet and it was the same exact bug. At that point we were totally horrified. We had all these bags and stayed all week. We immediately called the front desk and they sent security to our room. He came and made out a report and while he was there, we saw another one crawling out of the headboard. He took a picture of it and a picture of my son's arm where he had been bitten. My son thought it was mosquito bites, but we realized it must have been bed bug bites. We were given a new room to move to, some plastic bags and a luggage cart, which we were told to return when we were done. We put all our belongings into plastic bags and in about 4 trips we moved to the other room. This took us the whole night. I talked to the supervisor and asked if he could put us somewhere for an extra night so we could secure the problem before we went home (putting clothes in dryer, etc.) He said it was out of his hands and if we wanted to stay it would be $400.00. If we had won a lot of money they would have had no problem comping us a room. I told him I didn't care what kind of room, we just needed some time. We were told we needed to talk to Risk Management but they were already gone for the day. So we stayed up all night doing what we could, throwing everything into bags. While in the second room we needed things out of the bags, so we had to open them to look for medications, underwear, etc. If we would have had the time, we would not have had to reopen the bags. By the time we left the hotel, we didn't know if we were coming or going. We put our things in our van, went home and put everything in the basement. I have been going through bag by bag, putting a few things at a time in the dryer. The problem is, some bags were not sealed because of the frantic state we were in, being in such a rush. Also, we brought the suitcases in and I didn't think of putting them in big black bags until our second night. So anything that was around, could have gotten into the carpet in the car and into our basement. On Friday morning I spoke to Risk Management and they were so nice. "We're so sorry, let us comp you breakfast before you leave." Well that just made everything better. When we got home, I had a message from their service that checks the room. The message was left on Friday at 9:30 am, and we were still going in and out of that room so there was no way the room had been checked yet. He did call me back this morning telling me that there was no evidence of the bugs. I told him that security had taken pictures, but he said there were no "alleged" pictures taken. If he would have been honest about the pictures, I might have believed there was no problem, believe me, the last thing I need is a problem at home, but because they denied the things we know about, how can I trust him. The hotel will not admit their liability in this but by lying to me, I can have a major problem at home. I have been up since I got home putting my clothes, bedding, and everything into plastic bags just in case so I don't ruin the stuff I had at home. We probably won't know if there is a problem for a while, and I probably won't sleep for longer than that, but I don't know what to do. Risk management was nice on Friday while we were there, I guess they didn't want us to make a scene, but today, they were nasty and accusing us of lying. They said we should have known what to do about our bags and clothes and it was our responsibility to take care of the problem. She said all good hotels have this problem, and I agreed with that, but a good hotel would help with the situation, not make things worse by denying the problem and treating you with such disrespect that you not only want to cry about the bed bugs, but about the way you are treated. My mom was with us and she has been sick with worry and I haven't stopped worrying or slept in days. I know there is nothing we can do, and I pray with all my heart that I didn't bring the problem home, but for now all I can do is vent.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Newburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed at Showboat in mid-September. We checked in early on a Sunday and they did not charge us the additional fee. The room was average but it was comped so what do you expect? It was clean and comfortable. The staff was great, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. I also used the spa for a massage and it was really nice as well. Showboat is right on the boardwalk, you walk outside and right down to the beach so for the price it is a great value.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cheektowaga, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

stayed at showboat last week very disappointed room was semi clean doors off the so called entertainment center drapes without clips water in shower was hot but only could a trickle of water .on checking in did ask for upgrade but wasnt offered any .have stayed at showboat for many years and never had an issue till now .rugs are so stained you can not tell what the color was. casino was fair .everything needs upgrading .rethinking my next trip to ac.vegas is the better bet

Room Tip: get the bourbon tower or go elsewhere
Green Features: energy efficient lightbulbs guest input on energy saving pratices
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I am in the South Jersey area for business several times per month. I often find excellent week night deals on line for the Showbat through Expedia and Trip Advisor.

Those of you who read my reviews know that I am not picky about trivial issues; and that I like a good value. Showboat provides excellent value. Sure: the hotel carpet is old an dated; the deluxe king room is not always waiting for me after booking, and the bars / clubs are a better value at the neighboriung Taj Majal. Who am I to complain, however, when I can get excellent weekly rates at at under $30 per night at a luxory casino / boardwalk hotel?

I like waking up the following morning to walk the boardwalk. My favorite boardwalk massage parlor and pizza restaurant are only a few blocks away. I also enjoy the casino bar during the evening next door at the Taj Mahal. I also like the 5$ minimum bets at the Showbaot poker tables. Not a bad deal for a guy like myself who is not high roller wealthy.

Room Tip: Book during a wekk night early in the week.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I took my mother to Showboat on her 70th birthday one night trip. Check-in was fast , charge $100.00 to hold the room. I think it was high for guest doesn't have the money to put down. The room was very clean and comfortable .

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Showboat Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!