“Bally's-Where customers do NOT come first” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bally's Atlantic City

You added Bally's Atlantic City to your Saves list
Bally's Atlantic City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Park Place and Boardwalk, 1900 Pacific Ave., Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
WINTER SALE
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Spring, Texas
“Bally's-Where customers do NOT come first”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

I took my wife to Atlantic City for her birthday and decided to try Bally's hotel. I thought I booked a room at the Bally's Towers online, but learned very quickly that they were relegating us to their "Claridge Towers" hotel which adjoins Bally's. Upon check-in, I was told our ocean view room would be ready no later than 3:30, so we walked around the very smoky and congested casino. I think we second-hand smoked about 5 packs of butts in 45 minutes. When I returned to guest services to get my room key at 3:35, I was told the room still wasn't ready, and that it would be another 45 minutes. I told the guest services agent that it was my wife's birthday and needed to get into the room soon, as we had a concert at the Borgata to get to. They told me the soonest the room would be ready was 45 minutes. After the next 45 minutes, We came back to guest services and was told that the room STILL wasn't ready (roughly 5:15). We walked around again, and came back at roughly 6 p.m. and was told the room still wasn't ready. At that point, I demanded to speak with a manager, but didn't get one. Instead, the clerk called housekeeping, and while on the phone, rolled her eyes and shook her head in apparent frustration. When she hung up, she told me that room had been ready for the past 2 hours and that housekeeping had simply failed to update their computer system to show the room had been cleaned. She then gave us our room key and told us we'd have to walk about 100 yards to get to the Claridge bank of elevators to get to our room, and we'd have to put the room key in the elevator slot to get access to our room. After hoofing it through the sea of smoking gamblers, we got to the elevators, put our key in the slot and pressed our floor #.....the key didn't work despite repeated tries. After finding no one from Ballys in the immediate area to help, I had to run back another 100 yards to the guest services desk to try and find out why the key didn't work. The same clerk told me "Well, it SHOULD work"....I made it clear it didn't and that I think I know how to operate an elevator, adding that I wasn't running back another 100 yards and demanded a new key. Got a new key, and this time the elevator worked. As we stepped out of the elevator, we found cigarette butts and a local pizza place's coupons on the hallway table, and a cigarette butt ground into the carpet right in front of our room door. Two women from housekeeping walked by as we attempted to get into our room and one said to the other "Look at that....that pizza joint is leaving their coupons on our hallway table again...they shouldn't do that"....she didn't pick them up.....just looked at them and the cigarette butts and they kept on walking.
The room itself was "OK"....large with a nice view of the ocean, but it was not what you'd expect based on what you see on the internet when you're booking your room ...Old decoration...dingy wallpaper, dated bed linens, carpet stains and a dust-filled air filter in the bathroom tub. When we went to leave the next morning, we decided to use the TV's guest checkout service. The prompts on the menu asked if you wanted to check out and have your folio mailed to you. We pressed that option, and it said "Use the keyboard to type in your email address". I picked up the keyboard and it didn't work. I checked the battery compartment on the keyboard and the batteries were missing. Decided to use the paper check out form and dropped it in the lobby when I saw 50 people waiting on the hotel registration line.

My wife and I made the best of our trip despite the inconveniences caused by Bally's, but it was only because we went to other casinos and walked the beach and boardwalk to enjoy our trip. If you do book Bally's....make sure you get a room at the Bally's Tower...looking at the images other trip advisor members posted for those rooms, they look pretty nice. But no matter what, don't expect any decent level of customer service here.

• Liked — When we checked out
  • Disliked — See body of my review
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure to confirm you are not in the Claridge Tower when booking!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2006

We stayed on the 45th floor in the Tower in a 2 Bedroom Suite. My Parents go weekly to AC so the room was comped. When we got out of the elevator it seemed kinda 80's to me. I commented on how they could update their decor a little. But then when we opened the door to our Suite my whole opinion changed! It was beautiful. There were 7 sinks alone in the suite... 3 Full Bathrooms. 2 living rooms, 1 dining area...it was incredible. I think the bathrooms could be updated a little, but other than that it was great. We had a great stay and will definitley be back soon. The new club is beautiful also!

• Liked — Loved Everything!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

My husband and I love Las Vegas-but with a toddler we only had the time for a road trip to Atlantic City. We had never been before and thought we would check it out.

As for the town of Atlantic City-stinky and dirty. The smell of garbage and/or dead fish hit us about 1/2 mile before we even got to the city limits.

Now for the hotel review-the valet ($5) service was quick and painless, the check-in was also effortless-we even got upgraded to a junior suite-not bad for $99! I had read bad things about Dennis tower and that's where they put us-my opinion-our room was dated and certainly broken in-but the bed linens and the bathrooms were spotless and that was good enough for us!

We had dinner at Arturo's on the 6th floor of Bally's-I can't say enough good things about this restaurant-everything we ate was fabulous!

The casinos (bally's/wild west) were very smoky and for such a run down hotel the tables had fairly high limits ($15 for blackjack)-even in Vegas they lower some tables to $10 at Ballys!

Most concerning-There was a fairly disturbing vomit-like smell emanating from the bar in the lobby. We avoided that area. I also did not like the fact that we were approached by several panhandlers on the casino floor!

To sum up-I don't know if I would go back to AC...I'm fairly sure if I did, I would not stay at Bally's- but I would go back to Arturo's for dinner!

Palmyra, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

My daughter and I just came back from a 3 day trip to Bally's Atlantic City. We were located in the Garden Rooms, which were very convenient to elevator and middle of everything. We liked that, we think they could update their rooms. Need new carpet, etc. The bathroom was great, very large with the garden tub. The room was clean but not gorgeous like you would expect at a casino.
The staff everywhere bars, security, desk, and restaurants were very friendly and helpful.
Would we stay again, yes but probably would like the tower rooms.

Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

First off hotel has seen better days. Run down, class of people had alot to be desired, and a non smoking room should not have holes in the carpet and chairs.

Save your money!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — depressing decor
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

We normally stay at Harrah's, but wanted something different this time. We'd stayed at Bally's a few times over the years, so decided to go back there.

Big mistake.

We arrived at about 1:00 and waited on a LONG line to check-in. We were informed that there would be an ocean-view room if we'd like to wait about an hour for it. Sounded good. I expressed not wanting to wait in line again, and was assured that I only needed to call a certain extension to find out if the room was ready - and pick up my key. Simple.

We called every hour for the next four hours. Finally, our room was ready. When we went to get the key, there was - in fact - a line. A long line.

When we picked up the key, we were told we would be put in the Claridge. I was not happy about this, as I've read the reviews. I was told it was all that was left.

We walked over to Claridge and had to wait, no exaggeration, 15 minutes to get an elevator. The lines were so long for this as well.

We got to the 20th floor, went to our room, and couldn't get it. A woman came to the door and said that she had been in that room for days. I asked that, if our luggage arrived, she would please ask the Bellman to bring it back down to the front desk.

I went to find a house phone. One of the many times during our stay that I would be using it.

When I called the front desk, I was asked to hold. There were 5-6 calls ahead of me. I explained that I was on the 20th floor, without a room, and didn't want to have to go all the way back to the lobby. I was told to hold.

So I went back to the lobby.

I asked to speak with a manager. 18 minutes later, one arrived.

I explained the situation and was told that the wrong room number was written down on the envelope for our key. I received no apology.

Back through Bally's to Claridge, back on line for the elevator, and back up to the 20th floor.

When I reserved the room - I asked for a room away from the elevator, as I'm a light sleeper.

When we got off the elevator on the 20th floor, there was our room. You literally stepped out of the elevator and fell in to it. We finally managed to get in (one key worked, one did not) and words could not even begin to describe this room.

I will say this: It was not clean - and it smelled very bad.

Again I called the front desk. I was put on hold 7 times before I got through to someone. The hotel was booked and it was either take this room or leave it. We wanted to leave it, but had some drinks in the afternoon while waiting for the room, and were too tired to even consider driving home.

We stayed out as late as we could (at another Casino - Bally's was loud, hot, and horribly crowded) until we were so exhausted that we had to go back to the room. When we did, I called "Room Service" to ask that a pot of coffee and a pot of tea be sent up to our room at 7:00 a.m. First off, once room service did answer the phone - I was put on hold. For well over five minutes. Also to be noted, they did not arrive to the room until well after 7:00 and, when they did, there were no spoons and no napkins on the tray. The spoons and the napkins did not arrive until 8:20. If I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the coffee, at least the bug that had been flying around in our room all night did. When I got back up from getting plastic spoons from downstairs, and I finally went to take a sip, I found him in my coffee cup.

We wanted to shower and get out as soon as we could - and the bathrooms were filthy. The floors were dirty, there was hair all over the shower walls - it was awful.

Needless to say, we won't be staying at Bally's again - EVER. I wll say that our last experience with Harrah's wasn't fabulous either. Vouchers sent for Buy 1-Get 1 Free buffet. But you can't eat until after 9:30. Unless you have a Diamond Card.

This is a review for Bally's, so I won't bore anyone with my personal feelings on what I see happening in AC. I will say it's certainly nothing like it was 10-15 years ago.

Some of the changes are good. Most of them, not so much.

I don't have a Diamond Card for any of the casinos. But I spend my money there, too. I guess that the casinos should take care of their 'big' players.

I just don't feel that I should be treated so badly in the process.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Charlotte, Nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2006

Found good rates at Bally's. $129.00 plus tax for the night. Reserved 2 rooms. Needed one King smoking and a double bed non smoking. Got down there at 3pm. Parked, went in. The king room was ready. The double was not. They told us to keep on checking back. They gave us cards to show the people working at the information counter so we did not have to get back in the check in line. Went back several times after 4pm. This was check in time. Keep getting told that its not clean yet. Went up to the floor that this room was on. Could not find a housekeeping cart anywhere. Saw someone looking at their room which was close to the one that we were supposed to have. Asked them if they just got there room. They said yes. It took awhile, but its a really nice room. So we thought there was hope for us. Went back downstairs to see what the problem was. The man at the information counter sent us back over to check in. We told them we wanted to be upgraded since they did not have our room ready. They checked with a supervisor and said that was fine. They put us in a Junior Suite non smoking. It was great. 2 rooms. One room had a king size bed. They also sent a roll away bed for our teenager to sleep on. We were very pleased that they did accomodate us after told them we wanted to be upgraded. So if your room is not ready when it should be, tell them to upgrade you. Also we stayed in the Dennis Tower. Nice and close to everything. The 6th floor has restaurants on it. We were on the 4th floor. Had a nice view of the pool. Our friends who were on the 6th floor had a lovely view of a wall. The casino was really good too. The cigarette smoke was not bad at all. A few in our group went to Johnny Rockets for dinner. They loved it. They said they had the best milkshakes, cheeseburgers and fries ever. 2 of us went next door to a place which sold pizza among other things to eat. The cheese pizza was so good. The pepperoni pizza did not look very good. The only thing I did not like was the pidgeons were in this place. They would fly in or walk in. The boardwalk was so neat too. The only problem that I encountered were the seagulls flying around. They would swoop down at you. Don't stop and eat something or the seagulls might take it away. Take your food inside somewhere. We did go down to Taj Mahal. Our teenager wanted Sabarro pizza for dinner. Its in the hotel. We asked a security guard and she told us how to get there. It was really good pizza. Then we walked back down on the board walk. I stopped in and got some fudge at Steels Fudge shop. Oh that was so goooood. My husband got ice cream at Ben and Jerrys. A small ice cream in a cup was almost $5.00. However it was tasty.

We came back to the room. I did not gamble anymore that night because I kept on loosing.
Even on nickel slots. The next day I decided to put my last $20.00 in the triple bonus video poker machines. Oh my gosh I was so excited to win. That was the best machine. Now the lowest amount of money you can put in is $5.00 You can't even put in a $1.00. I did not like that part. No change either to put in the slot machines. I did like the fact that you did get a ticket when you cashed out so you did not have to get your hands dirty from coins.

Overall we did have a good time. We came down on a Monday which seemed to be a good day to be there. It was not packed. One could get a machine to play on. The free parking garage is free only when you have a certain total rewards card. Otherwise its $5.00. I think you have to have a diamond or platinum card to park for free.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Bally's Atlantic City? Share your experiences!