“Very Old, Very Expensive, unless it's a comp go somewhere else.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bally's Atlantic City

You added Bally's Atlantic City to your Saves list
Bally's Atlantic City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Park Place and Boardwalk, 1900 Pacific Ave., Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
WINTER SALE
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
NJ
“Very Old, Very Expensive, unless it's a comp go somewhere else.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I've stayed at Bally's for an annual event the last two years, my expectations are low. The prices are high, the hotel is very old and hasn't seen a significant update in 20-30 years. I stayed again in the Claridge Tower, which was beautiful in it's heyday but now it's just old. It looks neglected, and if you had been to the Claridge before Bally's took it over you'll be heartbroken at how they let this grand old lady go down the tubes. It used to be a beautiful well maintained and classy establishment.

The bed is comfortable but the sheets are too small for the king size beds so you end up sleeping on the mattress at some point during the night assuming you could get under the blanket without taking the sheets off the bed. The room hadn't been cleaned well prior to our arrival or during our stay. Our room had a wet bar but the refrigerator was in the television cabinet on the other side of the room. There was a coffee maker but no place to plug it in without moving it to another part of the room or the bathroom.

The bathrooms are small and ancient, water pressure it pretty good, there are some nice views. The building connections are confusing. It looks like what it is, a bunch of old hotels, with makeshift connections between them. It's not a resort by any stretch, the Claridge pool is free but the pool in Bally's tower is $10.00 a day.

It's not worth the $250 room rate for the Saturday night stay, I've spent much less on much nicer rooms in NYC and Chicago with much better service.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
s. brunswick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

booked ballys but stayed at the claridge tower. room was decent--pretty much all we needed was a bathroom and beds. toilet was backed -up ---maint.. came with in a hour to fix. the outlet shops were fantastic-we spent half day shopping and browsing. while the wife sunned on the free AC beach, and visitied the bikini beach bar, me and the teenage son spent the days in wildwood. $30 unlimited rides from 12:30 opening to 6 pm. no lines, no waiting and they tell you to stay on and go again. very quiet in both AC and Wildwood I guess the econmony is hitting the area hard. we had a good time, all for only a 2 hour ride from central jersey. if you stay at the claridge, tell them to put you on the highest floor possible---the pool is on floor 8 and the traffic on that floor gets busy and noisy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Upstate NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

Our room was adequate and clean, but windows were covered w/ plastic glaze coating that was scratched....overlooked steel supports and cement. Long walk to room...and entire casino was freezing...everyone was complaining. Constantly harrassed at each entrance by Wyndham people trying to engage visitors. Virginia City buffet was still very good. Wait for total Rewards shuttle was long and not many seats available. Have to pay extra fee to use pool. Whole boardwalk stunk like a mix of garbage and rotten fish...people that work @ Bally's Beach Bar stated they have never smelled it this bad? Many ferrel cats wandering around the beach near boardwalk. If you have the family...go to Ocean City or Wildwood instead...and take a shuttle to visit AC . They are building a new casino...seems like there is not a need! Also possible dealers strike on the horizon @ all Harrah's owned properties.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
union, nj
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I had a resv at ballys and upon arrival they placed me in the Claridge tower....I begged them not to place us there because we had a terribly horrendous stay day b/4...The not
so very nice mgr assurred us the room had been redone and we wouldnt have the same
problems....Well she lied......She must have never seen these rooms because Im sure
she wouldnt stay in them or put up any of her family members there.....The bathroom sink and tub was not useable for me....tub stopper and drain was molded and had mildew...the sink itself had dirty marks on the front of it and dirt embedded around the mirror....the floor had old dirt wedged in between the tiles....We were there to celebrate
my husband being cancer free for a year,, so we were really looking forward to a very special stay but that was not at all the case...It was dissapointing and depressing...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Greensburg, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We had a nice 2 night stay at Bally's. This was our first time in Atlantic city. I loved the location - central and right on the boardwalk. Rooms were clean and generously sized. Staff was ok at best. Everything was a la carte, $10 for pool, $13 for internet, etc. so keep that in mind. 6ix a bistro was great for breakfast with a nice staff. The wild wild west casino was fun, and we appreciated the non-smoking sections.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
north america
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Idiots at the front desk couldn't find a reservation with both hands if it were taped to them, over an hour trying to check in (should have left but it was not an option, client supplied "hotel") finally got put in the roach motel, I mean claridge tower. The need to put a restroom near the claridge elevators, they are very slow and the area smells like many of the guests have had "depends" leaks while waiting. The rooms in the C tower are very run down, I didn't want to walk on the carpet even with my shoes on! nice echo off the 15' high concrete ceilings and walls heloooo...
I pretty much hate every casino I have ever set foot in, I can't stand the smell or the noise of these miserable places but this one was particularly fetid and nasty.
next time I see AC on my schedule, I'm running away!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

I was hesitant to stay at Ballys but was reminded from someone in the industry that people that have something bad to say are more likely to leave reviews. So with that I booked Ballys for my stay. I am not picky by any means and usually stay at cheaper accommodations but I ws there to celebrate so I went for it. Lobby staff were nice at check-in but when we got to ourroom in the Claridge Tower we found cig burns on carpet and furniture, weed stems and seeds all over the carpet and tables, crayons and used paper in the drawers and a broken firdge. We overlooked this bc we read the reviews so our expectations werent so high and we could deal. Well we had a dinner res and went to iron our clothes and the iron (which didnt get hot) spit out opaque white liquid and ruined the item. We called the front desk and just asked for another room thinking it may be cleaner with less burnholes but were told by the front desk "well maam for what you paid theres not much we can move you to". I understand that maybe we couldnt be moved to the rooms that were available bc they didnt feel we were spending enough but YOU DONT TELL PEOPLE THAT. So, after that we were approached by security in the hallway for id (im 30) bc you have to be 21 to cut through the casino, after the women checked my id I asked her where the restaraunt was, she looked at me laughed and stared at me w/o an answer. I am a nice person and the tude was not warranted. So, I took my unappreciated $700 and left. as far as the casino, it is a bit depressing. Its full of elderly ppl sitting by themselves feeding their money into the slots like zombies. My advice, stay somewhere cheaper or spend the money the stay at another hotel on the boardwalk. Resorts and the trop were the nicest I saw during my stay, and professional

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Bally's Atlantic City? Share your experiences!