“Nickel and Dimers” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bally's Atlantic City

You added Bally's Atlantic City to your Saves list
Bally's Atlantic City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Park Place and Boardwalk, 1900 Pacific Ave., Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
WINTER SALE
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Staten Island, New York
“Nickel and Dimers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This is more of a review of Atlantic City and Harrahs properties as a whole than one of just Bally's. My wife and I just returned from an overnight trip from the Bally's property for a "comped" room we were supposed to pay just $53 for (not including taxes, fees and other amenity charges). First of all, I must say the room on the 38th floor in the garden tower was very nice with a great view of the beach. It was the only redeeming thing about the weekend. For what I spent at the tables and slots (tight slots at that), however, should have at least entitled one to free parking or free wifi. I couldn't even a send a text message on my phone as my phone was seen as roaming by my provider. They almost force you to pay the 17 a day for wifi. Fast forward to this morning when we went to use the "Spa". The woman at the counter asked us if we were guests of the hotel and stated that it would be $5 a person. We gladly paid and spent an hour or two in the pool, sauna and whirlpool. Upon checking out, not only were we charged the $10 but an additional $10 as well for what the staff member said was a special Atlantic City tax or surcharge. A 100% percent tax? No wonder AC is going bankrupt and deservedly so. Not even a free drink is given unless you're a Diamond Club member. Looks like years of corrupt politicians and gross mismanagement have finally sent this place into a death spiral. Goodbye and good riddance. I'll go to Aquaduct and Sands in Bethlehem on my next gambling excursion.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I had a reserved a king bed, big tub, ocean front room for my wife's birthday. At check in could not get the room I reserved- was informed you ONLY REQUEST a room. So I guess you are at their whim, don't know if room was available or not. Finally got into the room to find hair in the tub - my wife freaked. I cleaned it because I was hungry and wanted to go eat. Later that night I went to the men's room on casino floor (Wild West Side) to find young children changing their bathing suits. They appeared to be unattended and out of control, I notified a security person who said - that happens all the time. Next day came back from early dinner to find the room had not been touched. At the front desk, the buzz word was used once again, you have to REQUEST it to be cleaned or even have the towels changed out. I have stayed in Bally's since 1983 and was highly perturbed by it all. Neither a whale or high roller but I drop many dollars there eating, drinking. going to shows let alone gambling. Right now, I don't think I will go back.

Room Tip: Insist on the room you book = call them and get a name, don't let them ruin a birthday celebrati...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Piscataway, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I decided to try staying at Bally's instead of my usual AC hotels. As soon as I walked in the room, I knew I made a mistake. It was a Dennis Tower room. It was sub-par compared to several other hotels on the boardwalk. The room was tiny, the TV remote didn't work and the bathroom was nothing special.

The casino people are very nice, but I won't be staying at the hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Selden, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My fiance and I enjoy going to the AC Beer Festival that's held in April at the Atlantic City Convention Center. The previous two years we stayed at a B&B but after a negative experience we decided this year to stay at Bally's because they have deal with the festival to have lower rates for attendees. $199.00 for a Saturday night seems pretty great to me. We had a room in the garden tower and I was surprised how spacious our room was. It wasn't the typical shape of a hotel room and I assume its because it was in the older building but the room itself was very up to date. My fiance got room service late at night and it was $23 for a cheeseburger but at least he said it was a delicious (yet overpriced) one.

The two downsides is that there is no free wifi. I think it was $12.00 a day if you wanted to use it, I was hoping that as a guest we would have been given it for free. Also, as a guest you still have to pay for parking although it was at a discount of $5.00. When we go back for beer fest, I believe both of us will have no issues staying there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Dennis tower newest. Get ocean view it else looking at building. Room clean but windows so dirty. Elevators unreliable and small. Poker bar great but cigars should not be allowed. Had to leave. Pool great. People working there helpful and friendly. CPA event nicely done.

• Stayed June 2014
Allendale, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We were at Ballys this week for a conference. Although the room had a good location, the first thing we saw on our way to our room was a room service tray sitting in the hall right near our room with leftover food. It didn't phase us since we thought it would be removed shortly. The following morning it was still there and i mentioned it to the front desk and housekeeping.... the following day its there and i told housekeeping it was there for two days - their response? "it's not my job". I told them i would go right to the hotel manager and let them know that. the tray was promptly removed. the room was dated, stained chairs, leaky faucets in the bathroom. The gym equipment was old and certainly not worth the money. they did give us a credit off our bill but i would much rather pay for a good experience. it's so obvious people don't like their job at the hotel - i would not return to this hotel if it was for free at this point. Do yourself a favor, go to ceasars if you plan on staying on the boardwalk. otherwise, go to the marina where there's no rif raf.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Flanders, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I was heading to AC to celebrate my friend's 21st birthday. I am older and having been visiting AC for 10 years now. I have stayed at several of the casinos in the past, including Bally's. We decided to choose Bally's for this visit due to it's great location, more or less in the middle of the boardwalk.
When I made the reservation on the phone a few days earlier, I was advised that check-in is at 4PM and check-out was at Noon.

We arrived to the property a bit early, so we decided to try to check in early and avoid the line. I figured the worst they would say is to come back at 4. That's exactly what happened. The front desk attendant took care of all the paperwork end, but told us that the room wasn't cleaned yet, and to return at 4, and I can jump the line just to pick up the keys.

We killed the hour, then went to the car to pick up our luggage, and return to the front desk to just grab the room keys. I should add in that we had a reservation for 2 rooms, side-by-side.

This time when I went to the front desk I was told that the room still wasn't ready, and because of it being the end to the busy holiday weekend (Monday of Memorial Day) they were sold out all weekend, and that housekeeping was far behind. I was then informed that check-in on holidays is actually 5PM. Funny how no-one notified me of that when I made the reservation, nor when I initially tried to check in early. Ok, great. That was very inconvenient since now the 4 of us had our luggage. We decided to just sit at the lobby bar with our bags to kill the next hour.

At 5PM, I went back to the front desk YET AGAIN to try and pick up my room keys. I was notified that the one room of our joined rooms wasn't cleaned yet. So we asked if we could at least have the one set of keys to drop our luggage off. Doug, from the front desk notified me that there are PLENTY of ready to go rooms available, but it is MY FAULT, because I want a conjoined room. I find it odd that housekeeping made rooms that you don't have a reservation for clean, and ready, but when you have a reservation for a con-joined room, there was no housekeeping services preformed.

We headed to our one room at 5PM, and began to get ready for the evening. Not one single housekeeper was anywhere on the entire floor. But they PROMISED that the room would be ready at 6PM. Guess what? It wasn't. Now I was livid, I am ready to get on with my night and have fun, enjoy myself, but instead I have to go BACK to the front desk and roll some heads. I asked to speak to the manager. I was kept waiting for the manager for LITERALLY 20 mins. I think that THAT was UNACCEPTABLE customer service. When the manager (I believe her name is Melissa) finally came out of hiding she was all apologetic and sweet. But she was using the same lines everyone else had for the past few hours. About how she personally called housekeeping. Ya, so did Doug...an hour ago. They agreed to comp the ONE room that we were kept waiting for, but they acted like they were doing me the favor. The room FINALLY got cleaned after that, and we were in it by 7PM. But way to kill 3 hours of my vacation!!

The property overall has gone VERY downhill. This is where I celebrated my 21st (10yrs ago) and that's why I wanted to bring my family friend there. I feel not much has been done to the property in the past 10 yrs. It is very dirty throughout, and just trashy feeling overall. The elevators were a complete nightmare.

In summary, there are plenty of other properties to chose in Atlantic City. It will for sure be a cold day in hell before I stay at Bally's again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Bally's Atlantic City? Share your experiences!