“I tried to like it...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bally's Atlantic City

Save Saved
You added Bally's Atlantic City to your Saves list
Bally's Atlantic City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Park Place and Boardwalk, 1900 Pacific Ave., Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 30%!
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
New Jersey
“I tried to like it...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend trip. I had stayed in the Claridge tower before and had no interest in going back. So we booked the Bally's Luxury Tower. Well, their definition of luxury is very different from mine. You get off the elevator and its old carpet with bad 80s mirrors along the hallway. Now, the room was big, and the bed was clean (I think), however it really ends there. This so called luxury room has not been updated in years. The furniture and wallpaper are old, the carpet was stained and separating from the wall, and the bathroom shower was scary to me. I don't think it was downright dirty but the nasty carpet made me feel dirty the whole time.

Room aside, the first morning I went to go to the gym. My guest rate was $25.00. I really don't see where they have the audacity to charge that much for a one day pass given the state of their hotel. The casino itself seems tired to me as well, not a ton of new games around and they closed off the martini bar as its sole function now is to host a weekend male review.

Having stayed in two towers now, and finding neither to be up to my standards or comfortable to spend any extended period of time in, I will not be staying here again. It doesn't seem that they care but they really should hear the patrons cries for nicer accommodations as well as to knock it off with nickel and diming, it's uncalled for.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We were not expecting much reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. We did not want to stay in the Claridge tower. We had a comp reservation for a Bally luxury room in the Ballys tower on 10/4. Of course the lady at the front desk said the luxury rooms in the Ballys tower were sold out. This was at 1 P.M. She did give us a Garden tower room and said it was just as good. We felt lucky that it was not in the Claridge tower. This is just based on reading the reviews. We paid the $11.00 early check in fee and went to the room. The room was big and beautiful. It was also very clean and we did not hear any noise at all during our 1 night stay. The bed was comfortable and we slept great. The employees went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. There was a lot of uniformed security and we felt very safe on property. As a bonus we even won on the slots. I would stay at Ballys again in a heartbeat just based on their employees and security. An old lady had a health issue of some kind at her machine and I found out by being near by they even had plainclothes security watching everything. Ballys knows how to run a casino hotel. We will return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
willow grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Booked a ocean view room for Sept 28th and was delighted to what I got for the comp. Free valet for Diamond member, Diamond check in was slower than regular check in, but I blame the old curmudgeon that was giving the staff a hard time. My check in process was about 2 mins long, if that. Once I found my room I checked out the view. Wow. Amazing. Really beautiful day yesterday didn't hurt but it was fantastic. All staff I interacted with were outgoing, courteous and knowledgeable. I didn't get the free watch that I came down for due to poor logistics of having the giveaway directly next to boxing match line, but that won't ruin the trip for me. if I didn't already have a room booked at Caesers in December I would be booking another stay at Ballys.

Room Tip: Go for the Ocean View...Ballys Tower
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New Milford, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Just got back from staying there. We were part of a group in Atlantic City for a wedding that was going to take place at the Pier. We stayed in the Dennis Tower (the 2nd and 7th floors), and the 34th floor of the Claridge Tower. We had one room on Friday 9/27 given to us as a gift, then we were supposed to check in on Saturday as part of the group discounted rooms. The lines for check-in on Friday afternoon were very long - took 45 minutes. On Saturday morning 7AM, I went to the front reception area to see if I could keep the same room, instead of checking out then re-checking in. Thank goodness I looked into it. Somehow my reservation got canceled as a "no show" in error- I would have been charged $147 for deposit forfeiture. Anyway, Gary at the front desk was very helpful in re-instating my room and letting me keep my current room. I had lots of issues with my Gold Member card. It said I had no pin number. Sometimes it worked at a slot machine, sometimes it didn't. Each time I tried to straighten issues out, I would have to stand in long lines, and wait for any Diamond or Platinum members to be taken care of first. With only 2 people handling the lines, it was painfully slow (both Saturday and Sunday). I had spent $327 at Harry's restaurant, $249 for a Saturday night room, we gambled each day, and yet I still had to pay for parking because my card did not work correctly and did not show enough points (25 required) to cover the parking fee. If I wanted to use the pool- it is $20 per person on the weekends. If I wanted internet service- $12 + a day for the privelage. The room (Room 237 in the Dennis Tower) was conveniently located, clean, could use a little TLC, but all in all was fine. My relatives stayed on the 7th floor. One complained that their shower water was rusty in color, and they felt like they were in an attic. The wedding couple stayed in the Claridge on the 34th floor. Their room had a beautiful view, a nice tub overlooking the ocean, but their room smelled really bad- like someone just used the bathroom. Maybe bad ventilation? All in all, I felt as though the place was understaffed, and when you are spending so much on rooms (on the weekends anyway), ammenities should be included in the room price, including parking. Also, if you want Gold members to keep coming back, and reach the Platinum and Diamond levels, don't treat them like second class citizens. On a positive note: we really enjoyed the bar at the Wild, Wild West. It had beer pong and a mechanical bull, girls that danced on the bar, great drink specials, and a dj that played fun dance music.

Room Tip: Stay in the Dennis Tower. Claridge had a bad odor on the 34th floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Albany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived on Sunday 9/15 for a 3 night stay. I had received a mailer for 2 free nights so I only had to pay for the last night. When I booked the reservations, I was told it was for the Claridge Tower only. When we arrived at the check-in desk, I explained to the woman that it would be difficult for my girlfriend to walk the extra distance from the Claridge Tower and asked if we could get the Dennis Tower. She not only did this for us but gave us a room only 2 doors away from the elevator.
Our room was small but very comfortable with a large bathroom that included a shower / tub and large counter space.
The bed was very comfortable and there was a refrigerator, coffee maker, safe and plenty of drawers to put clothes in.
Sunday night was Miss America pageant and we saw many of the contestants in evening gowns waving to everyone on the boardwalk. The weather was 70-75 for the 3 days and was too cold for hitting the ocean but comfortable enough for walking the boardwalk.
All the shops and restaurants were still open unlike my January trips when many of the shops are closed. I was able to get a free wheel chair rental from Bally’s for my girlfriend and we walked (rolled) up and down the boardwalk each day just taking in the sights and stopping in a few casinos to try our luck in different places.
There is a restaurant called EVO in the Trump Plaza that has $12 lunches that are a bargain, the food is great and there is a large selection of lunches. We stop here at least once on every trip we take. After several years of staying at Bally’s, I discovered they had some restaurants located on the 6th floor. We ate at the Bistro / Coffee Shop and we could have easily split a sandwich as they were huge and only cost $12 each.
As for the gambling, I did not win anything but I played for over 2 ½ hours on $40 that I put into a Hangover slot machine one night and played several other machines without any great loses. One thing you should watch for is the video poker pay tables. While there are no 99% payback machines, some machines are more favorable than others. The pay tables in the middle of the casino are better than the ones located closer to the hotel lobby. Drink Service is awesome!! You can order your drinks on a touchpad from your machine. The drinks were frequent and strong and came quickly with excellent service. I was drinking bourbon and cokes and they were all free. If you want premium liquor then you get charged a $1 or 2 more.

Pros:
1. Great center boardwalk location
2. Excellent coffee shop for lunch / dinner
3. Clean rooms as long as you avoid the Claridge Tower.
4. Excellent customer service
5. Excellent drink service in casino
Cons:
1. Video poker schedules
2. You need to pay to use the pool.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and i stayed here for 2 nights, one night was comp'ed and the second night we paid $189. We were supposed to have a luxury room in the Bally's tower. When we arrived, we waited in line for about an hour to check-in. When we finally go to the desk, we were told that the only room available was a handicapped room on the 6th floor. With nowhere else to stay for the night,we took it and insisted that we get the room we paid for (a luxury room with an ocean view) for the next night. They then told us the could not guarantee that. Such [--]! We get to the room and half of it is a bathroom, I understand that handicapped people need this, as my sister-in-law has CP, the bathroom was in decay, a real health hazard with mold growing on the floor drain, thick dust over the air vent, peeling paint, peeling wallpaper, and no toilet paper (just a empty roll left on its dispenser) and the bathtub had a ring around it. I have pictures of all of it, which I will try to post. The room itself was about 6x6, smaller than any room I have ever stayed in. The carpet was heavily soiled, the lamps had 2 different lamp shades, the credenza was dusty and scratched, the bed was soft and had a crater in the middle of it, the place was dark, dirty and dank in the back of the hotel with a window that you could not even see through. Also, there was only one hanger in the closet in the room. I complained and they gave me a $25 credit towards the next day 's stay. At this point I was ready to leave and just give up and go home. My wife did not want to take another two and a half hour ride back to NY after we had just arrived. I understand the first night was comp'ed but when I stayed at Caesars for a comp, I had a beautiful large room that was all white, very bright with a giant marble credenza. It was in the back of the hotel but at least you could see out of the window. The second night at Bally 's ( as a result of many complaints to the front desk and the threat of leaving) they gave us a luxury room with a ocean view. The room was clean and better equipped but still very small. The comp rooms at the Borgata are three times the size and a great view. The music from the beach bar blasted all night, we barely slept. then in the afternoon we went to the pool and had to pay $10 each. The pool facility looked nice from a distance. Then when we went to get our towels and bottles of water there was no attendant. Finally my wife found her half an hour later, upstairs on her phone and she was quite annoyed that we had the gaul ask for our towels and waters. The pool looked ok but we did not go in it. We did go into one of the hot tubs and there was a sandy matter at the bottom and it felt dirty. There were cracks along the top of the hot tub and it appeared in need of repair, just like the rest of this place. We went to shower off in the bathrooms of the pool area and they looked like the restrooms out at the racetrack. Very old and in disarray. I opted for a rinse by the poolside shower in my bathing suit. So we go outside to dry off in the sun and maybe get a few hours sleep in the sun. No chance, the towel girl comes out and starts slamming the lounge chairs on top of each other ( it was only 4 pm and the pool closes at 6pm), she obviously wanted to go home or just did not want to be there. All in all I would say I would never stay at Bally's ever again. Also, I feel bad how they treat handicapped people there by putting them in a horrible room, so much so that they should be condemned. I also feel bad for any gambler that would waste their comp on such a horrible property. Do your self a favor and go to Caesars instead.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stood at Ballys in September. We arrived early and hoped to check-in early. The check-in line was very long and disorganized. We soon saw what the problem was: there weren't separate lines for checking-in and checking-out; everyone was in the same line. Fortunately we only had to wait 25 minutes in the Platinum line. We were glad we didn't have to stand in the gold line as that line was considerably longer and only had one person checking people in.
We were given a corner room in the Dennis Tower. We were tired after our long drive from MA, so we decided to take a nap before going down to the casino. When I pulled back the sheets, I found a dirty thong between the sheets. I grabbed a handful of tissues from the bathroom and used them to pick up the thong and throw it in the trash. After washing my hands, I picked-up a hand-towel to dry my hands and saw that the towel had dried blood all over it. I called housekeeping and told them about this and asked them to send someone up to clean the room. The woman on the phone told me that the room had already been cleaned for the day, and no one would come to clean the room until tomorrow. I asked to speak to her supervisor and was put on hold for 10 minutes. The supervisor came on the phone and told me that their records show that someone already cleaned our room today. I explained that we had just checked-in 5 minutes ago, and the room was very dirty. After 5 minutes of arguing, the supervisor finally sent someone up to change the sheets and give us clean towels.
The next morning, we noticed a couple of ants by the bathroom sink. After getting rid of the ants, we went down to the pool about 9 a.m. We were swimming laps, when all of a sudden 2 women who were on the other side of the pool started screaming that there was a cockroach in the pool. Sure enough- there was a dead cockroach floating in the shallow-end of the pool. The lifeguard came and removed the cockroach with the net. At that point, we decided to leave the pool area. We stopped by the window before leaving to look at the nice view, and 2 cockroaches crawled out from behind a lounge chair and took off. Needless to say, we didn't return to the pool for the rest of our trip.
Later I brought some soda up to the room and wanted to put it in the refrigerator. As I was kneeling down and putting the cans in the refrigerator, I saw that the living room area was full of ants! There were ants crawling around everywhere: in front of the bureau, under the table and armchairs, etc. We went down to the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. We told the manager that our room had ants, and we wanted another room. She told us that the hotel was busy, and that there weren't any other rooms available.
After returning home, my friend sent a detailed letter to Ballys customer service department explaining the situation and asking for a refund. Ballys sent her a very rude e-mail denying the whole incident and refused to give her a refund.
In 20 years of travel, I have never checked into a hotel and found someone's dirty underwear in my bed, a bloody towel in the bathroom, ants in the room, cockroaches by the pool, or dealt with such a rude staff. But Ballys management obviously doesn't see anything wrong with running a hotel this way as noted in their e-mail. Any respectable hotel would be ashamed to treat their guests this way. My advice is to stay at another casino when you go to Atlantic City. When you have a problem with your room at Ballys, you are stuck. The rude staff at the front desk won't do anything to help you. When you get home and contact customer service, the rude staff won't do anything to help you either. I have never been to a hotel with such bad customer service.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel. The rooms are dirty and full of ants. The staff is very rude and unprofessio...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bally's Atlantic City? Share your experiences!