“Only average for Atlantic City” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bally's Atlantic City

You added Bally's Atlantic City to your Saves list
Bally's Atlantic City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Park Place and Boardwalk, 1900 Pacific Ave., Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 30%!
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Hamilton, Canada
“Only average for Atlantic City”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Made an internet reservation for 2 nights on a new site (Olotel) & got a 'classic' room for $120./night & no resort fee, Parking for 2 nights was $5.00. When we got there, we were settled into the Claridge tower which was a neighbouring hotel purchased by Bally's; it was connected but not really in Bally's main tower... not really a big deal but watch out for these discrepancies. Our room was very big and very plain/basic/old but satisfactorily clean. Also had a window that overlooked the boardwalk and ocean. TV was small, two sitting chairs/table; shower had good pressure. Walls were thin; noisy neigbours. Friends we visited were in Bally's tower and room was smaller but more modern. Tried to get tickets for several shows but were sold out. They certainly don't push tickets or make their purchase very easy as in Vegas. Overall impression of Atlantic City is that it's a small, poor imitation of Vegas... having the boardwalk and beach helped, but I wouldn't go back. Tropicana was the only hotel/casino that could compare.

Room Tip: We arrived at 10:30 a.m. and paid the $10. early check-in fee. DO THIS. By afternoon, the line to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had a comp room but still was not pleased! The pool closed at 6:00, had to pay $5.00 per person to use the pool, the hot rubs were not available, and they had no evening room service. we had to order out to eat as we were too tired to go out! However, the worse was that they charged $12.99 per devise to use wi fi! We have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads! UNBELIEVABLE! We travel often and have Never had to do this. I understand charges and I will pay for what I want but his was a rip off!

Actually, My husband and I have been displeased with total rewards casinos for some time. We decided to try again and then had this experience. In addition, the mattress and pillows sucked!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Geneva, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Room was disgustingly dirty!Was not worth the money!They need to hire employees who care! All
had bad attitudes!Will not go back ..And to top that, the pool was closed for our stay..Go figure!!
I do recommend this hotel to anyone!

Pennington, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Wanted to do a night in Atlantic City with my boyfriend and some friends, so we chose to stay at Bally's. They were the cheapest hotel on the boardwalk for a Saturday night and the rooms didn't look so bad online so we chose this place.

From the moment we stepped in the room, everything was BAD!

1. Floors- Dirty. Don't even think about walking around without shoes. Your feet will be black!
2. Furniture- Old, smelly, stained. Nightstand was chipped, lampshade was dusty.
3. Bathrooms- Counters had stains on them, mold in between the tiles in the shower. The shower certain inside the shower had red stains in it. I showered with my flip flops on. There was rust all over the shower head.

Only decent thing- Sheets/Towels seemed clean. But everything else was dusty, dirty and disgusting. I didn't feel comfortable putting any of my things in the furniture in the room.

*When we came up to our room for bed around 2 am. there was a very strong smell of marijuana. Obviously no one in our room was smoking, but clearly someone in one of the surrounds rooms had been. Being someone who suffers from asthma, the smell of smoke/certain odors will irritate me. I immediately called security and the front desk. They told me someone would be sent up to do a walk through and come in our room to check things out. Well.. no one came.

*After going to bed, around 5 am. the people next to our room came up from wherever they were. Screaming, yelling, banging on things and being very obnoxious. The walls of this hotel are VERY thin. So you can hear everything going on in the surrounding rooms, which is very annoying.

*Casino- Wasn't bad. Drink service was rather slow while at the tables. Nothing like Las Vegas.

*Bars- Wild Wild West Bar- TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expect nothing but a low class ignorant crowd. (They have $2 dollar beers/$2 dollar shots of the cheapest alcohol. Hence the low class crowd). They have a mechanical bull that you can ride. Which is fun until the stupid bull operator lets a chubby, sloppy, drunk girl get on and she purposely flashes her butt/lady parts to everyone in the bar. Needless to say everyone was horrified. Saw a family with young teens who had to leave because of how obnoxious and trashy she was acting. I cannot believe the operator of the bull continued her ride until she fell off. He should have stopped her ride and asked her to get off. Then when she gets off the bull, a woman asks her to pull her dress down and then she begins starting fights with people in the bar, including myself. Not a single security guard in site to help. Thank God my boyfriend is a police officer and can diffuse situations with the flash of his off duty badge. There was hotel security in the area, but they were too preoccupied socializing with each other/people in the casino. (I am assuming local friends).

I called on Monday morning to speak to a front desk manager to demand a refund for the horrible experience. And she told me there was nothing she could do for me because it was past 24 hrs since my stay..... (I checked out Sunday-Called to complain Monday) What the hell? Then insisted to speak to the hotel manager Michelle who was VERY nice. I explained all the concerns I listed above and she refunded the money for our hotel room for the night. She was very cooperative and understanding which I appreciated. Despite her good customer service I would still never stay at Bally's again. Next time I plan an overnight trip to Atlantic City I will only want to stay at Cesar's, Borgata, Harrah's, Golden Nugget or Revel. All the older places I would be hesitant to stay at. But never again at Bally's...

Room Tip: If you chose to stay here, upgrade your room. DO NOT PICK A STANDARD ROOM!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ludlow, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Planning a quick summer trip, ocean areas is very expensive. The Jersey Shore, is still relatively affordable during the week. Can't complain about price, since they did comp a deluxe room based upon my spending last time in town, but room only went for $125 for anyone. Crazy to think even hotel guest has to pay $5 a weekday for parking in our hotel garage, this was the first experience with paying to even breathe the air. Food is crazy expensive even for sandwiches or mediocre breakfast. $52 with tip for a Denny's like restaurant. Believe it was the Bistro on 6 as the name. We declined buffet, and ordered off of menu...very slow service, especially for 2 people. The pool was nice at one time, but only 4 of 7 hot tubs were working. We chose to skip kid friendly pool hours, and hold til 5pm for adult hour, only to return to a sign stating closed until further notice. There was a $10 charge even for guest to use pool. Guess we should have braved kid times to at least enjoy a swim. Room was nice and clean, but bath tub did drip a small amount of water when turned off. After returning from dinner, my husband and I both had demagnetized room keys. No one to come up and let us in...a graveling switch board operator told us, "we'd have to come back down to get new keys"...no sorry or anything. The girl said did we rub against a magnet? Really, both of us (mine in my purse and hid on his wallet). I think because I chose not to use my players card, they think I could have given the room away, and wanted to confirm I was in fact, still there. I did have to show ID to get both keys reloaded. A Heineken at the bar was $8, and sea gulls attack you while walking on the boardwalk. The city does keep the boardwalk safe though, lots of families walking. Ceasar's is nicer and Tropicana even seems more so. Save your aggravation and just book at another location...Bally's hotel seems dirty, in need of repairs, and has a staff that feels rudeness is accepted by management when speaking with guest. Will not return...

• Stayed July 2013
Nutley, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have been going for years, casino, dinning, and spa. The rooms were bland with no character no color. The spa was dirty and unwelcoming. Casino tables were closed and jammed onto crowded 1-2 tables. Worse experience ever!

Room Tip: Avoid clairage tower as they are not kept well
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Valley Stream, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Let me start this review by stating I spent 3 nights in ballys atlantic city, and I left with more money in my pocket then when I arrived, so no sore loser here.
Just some facts, as Ive been a fan of Caesar's properties for a very long time.
(recently stayed at the flamingo in Las Vegas and think Caesars AC is fine)
I requested the dennis tower, but was informed they could not accommodate me and told me the claridge tower is fine.
The Dennis tower is nothing to write home about, but at the rates we paid, we had no real complaints.
Claridge tower-time to renovate, sell, or tear it down.
The room was old, The carpet is stained, the wall paper hanging off, the bathroom old and outdated, the furniture chipped, looked like the kind of stuff people toss after the dog chews on it.
The chair in the room was stained, so we covered it with a towel to sit on it.
The TV, Im guessing at least 15-20 years old, reception was horrible, and a chunk of stations advertised by the hotel on the menu, were not there.
To make things worse, my wife complained to me, lets leave immediately because when she pulled back the sheets, she saw a hair or two, and said these sheets weren't changed.
I told her impossible, but 30 minutes later, after we opened the room curtains, we found a black nike sock on the floor, obviously no one vacuums or cleans the floor. Pretty sad. Actually, very sad.
Ballys doesn't care. Business is bad, they sell the room cheaps, or use them for comped rooms, but they have lost me as a customer. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I will give them one point, the bed was ok. The pillows, either they were the original pillows since the early 80s or the buyer for the hotel should be tarred and feathered.
Theres no reason to run a hotel like this. They have no shame, so Im guessing as soon as NY gets full casino gambling, the claridge tower will be closed or sold. The rest of ballys will follow and fold if they don't wake up and smell the coffee.(no complaints about ballys food areas, food was acceptable, pricey, but acceptable)
We had to switch rooms due to a bathroom malfunction, but this has happened in the finest hotels so I cant knock them for that, they did find me another room, and the new room was slightly better, but the bed was poor(the new room had a much better flat screen tv that had reception)

I snapped some shots, just small areas, as I didn't think it necessary to take 9 pictures of dirty carpet. You get the idea, and Ididnt take a picture of the sock left by the previous guest.

I don't know if ballys has any response to this review. To claim they are currently renovating, is total nonsense, as Ive known friends who warned me about the claridge tower.
We were stuck once we drove 4 hours in traffic, on a Saturday night, I wasn't about to start searching for a new room.
Ballys needs more people who know what the heck is going on, a lot of people walking around with name badges not doing much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bally's Atlantic City? Share your experiences!