“Very good” 5 of 5 stars

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Great rooms.
Great location, 5 mins walk from boardwalk and other casinos
$12 parking per night
Breakfast was not included in my package else; would recommend having it some place else as it wasn't great
Excellent place and good value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hugh C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Atlantic City, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
I'm very happy to hear that you liked our hotel. Summer is around the corner, please come back and visit again soon!
-----Hugh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Brooklyn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have very mixed feelings about this hotel. Atlantic City is really run down, so it seems like anything even remotely good stands out, and you find yourself saying a hotel or restaurant or casino is good "for Atlantic City."

Marriott's Courtyard Atlantic City is good -- for Atlantic City. The employees are very nice. The hotel is attractive. The rooms are very good, though anonymous. However, there's a long list of red flags.

The air conditioning didn't work. (Before I went to bed, the temperature was 71. I set the AC on cold with max fan with a min temp of 60. When I woke up, the temperature was 71.) My view consisted primarily of a bankrupt motel surrounded by old mattresses and broken lamps. My bathroom amenities included three bottles of conditioner but no shampoo. Don't know how you're supposed to use the coffee maker when there's no water in the room.

There were two -- count'em, two -- warning letters for the occupants, perhaps necessary for this low-rent party city. One stated in no uncertain terms that NO PARTIES WERE PERMITTED. No bachelor parties, no birthday parties, no slumber parties. Okay, fine -- but then add in the letter saying if I take the TV they're charging me $1,000 and you start thinking exactly what you got yourself into.

Worst was the unwanted wake-up call at 10 am. Someone at the front desk claimed they were testing the fire alarms and wanted to get into my unit. This is VERY odd considering I was checking out at 11, making me think they were actually saying GET OUT. Yeah, that makes sense: put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and they'll CALL you instead.

When I return to Atlantic City -- there are fun things to do here -- I'll try my luck elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hugh C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Atlantic City, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, we appreciate feedback from all of our guests both positive and negative. I would like to clarify a few points in your review, in particular the letters. The "No Party Policy" was implemented in order so that ALL guests can enjoy their stay, parties in hotel rooms cause excess noise, excess damage, and in some cases destroyed hotel rooms, and fights. We feel that our guests deserve a relaxing and restful night when choosing to stay with us. Theft is an unfortunate issue in the hotel industry and ultimatly leads to higher room rates for our guests, we try and discourage this as best we can. The phone call was a test of the fire system as required by law, it has absolutly nothing to do with telling our guests to "get out." We take our guest safety seriously and have to do alarm testing from time to time as required by law, the timing of this determined by the Fire Department.. We apologize that housekeeping made a mistake and left just conditioner - We would have been pleased to bring shampoo to your room, had we known. The Atlantic City Alliance is putting forth a great effort in the beautification of Atlantic City, our area is slated for several projects in the near future. I do apologize that we didn't meet your expectations, but wanted to explain some of the things your found un-appealing during your stay.
Wappingers Falls, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just came from AC on a business trip & spent 1 night @ the Marriott. Great stay, professional staff from the front desk, to the valet, & even the cooking staff. This place is definately on par with the other Courtyards I've stayed at in the past. For $11 they have a buffet breakfast that's pretty good. The food is about 7.5 out of ten, and the service was exceptional. Rooms & Lobby have a nice fresh feel about it. They have fresh baked cookies, lemonade and apples in the lobby for all customers; always a nice touch. The only rub is that the room views are not so great. I had a view of the depressed part of AC. Also, it seemed as if the hotel is a bit of a walk from all the main attractions (casinos, outlet stores) in AC. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors prior to checking in.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hugh C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Atlantic City, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thanks for the great review!
I'm happy to hear that you like our amenities and hotel.
Please return again soon!
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I highly recommend the Courtyard by Marriott if you have to stay in the north boardwalk area. The only other choices are a room in an older casino, or the magnificent Revel. However, the room at the Revel puts you at the very top of the boardwalk, removed from everything, and the others (Showboat, Resorts, Ballys, Caesars ) charge lots of $$$ for crappy, tacky rooms on weekends.
The Courtyard is pleasant, civilized, immediately on the Jitney route, safe, clean, far more convenient to park at (only $10 for valet parking!).....and the breakfast is great. I would always prefer the environment to that of a nasty boardwalk casino, and the gangsta crowds that you find there on a saturday night. You could always stay crosstown at the Borgata, Harrahs or Nugget, but then that's another type of experience.....
Criticism: the vacant lot next door has got to go. Some retail, please, or another hotel....it totally blemishes this hotel, unjustifiably.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time for a review. We appreciate the kind words! I hope that you'll return to Atlantic City soon. The Gov. and the CRDA have made a lot of progress in returning Atlantic City to being the jewel on the sea. Please come back soon and "Do AC"
----Hugh
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had an overall great 1-night stay here over the past weekend with friends. I really don't understand why AC hotels are so expensive, when the city is plain run-down and sort of lackluster (maybe I'm just spoiled by Vegas), but comparably the Courtyard provides a decent value. Our double beds were comfy (wish they were queens though) and our rooms were clean. Weirdly though, our shower water kept turning cold after only a few minutes of being in the shower. Other than that, I was pleased with the Courtyard's nicely decorated, contemporary interior. There's no iPod dock in the rooms, but there are CD players, so bring a few CDs if you'd like. We paid around $12 or so each for breakfast in the morning, which was fulfilling with its omelet and waffle stations. I'm not rushing to get back to Atlantic City, but if I do come back I wouldn't mind staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view; we failed to do this & ended up with a pretty crappy one
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hugh C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Atlantic City, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hi and thank you for the feedback! We're very glad that you liked our hotel. All rooms should have ipod docking stations, so I'll have to see what happened there. We'll also look into any water issues. Thanks again and please come back, there are lots of great entertainment events that the city is booking!
Leawood, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed here while attending a convention as I am committed Marriott Rewards member. This hotel has a non-traditional Courtyard style. I arrived late the first night and appreciated that the bar was open past 10 pm and featured some $4 beer options. The hotel is quiet and shuttle route runs right outside the front door. The breakfast buffet features eggs made to order, is good and reasonable.

From my room on the top floor, I could see some of the Atlantic Ocean bracketed by the Resorts and Taj Mahal resorts.

My guess is the hotel was updated a few years ago and while not new, is still in pretty good shape. One beef - the wireless internet in my room was not consistent. It worked fine in the morning, but in the evening (after 8 pm), the speeds were excruciatingly slow.

The area around the hotel is not particularily attractive, but that pretty much sums up Atlantic City.

Room Tip: Free breakfast is available to Platinum members.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hugh C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Atlantic City, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thanks for your review of our hotel!
We appreciate your feedback.
I'm glad that you liked our hotel and I'll look into the wireless issue that you mentioned.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here during our weekend trip to Atlantic City. The room was spacious and clean. We had a deal that included breakfast, which was plentiful. The neighborhood is not the best but it was a quick walk to the boardwalk. The only issue we had with the hotel was with the valet parking attendant. We had a miscommunication with him and he got very upset with us and raised his voice. Fortunately, his colleague tried to apologize on his behalf. Other than that, it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hugh C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Atlantic City, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you very much for the great comments and taking time to rate our hotel!
We appreciate you patronage.
We hope that you'll return in the future and I'll certainly address your service comment.
----Hugh

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Atlantic City? Share your experiences!