“Had A Nice Time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Connecticut
“Had A Nice Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

I enjoyed my stay at The Borgata, very nice place. Spa was excellent! Was a little upset about Bobby Flay Steak being closed, had to go to Old Homestead Steak House, wasn't impressed at all. Overall, nice place to go with your significant other for a couple of days/and to get away.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Turkish first
South Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

The hotel was really cool-decorated nicely and very hip. The usual casino smoke smell was barely noticable. The towels were awesome- even in the pool area. The shower was nice except the grout looked pretty scummy. The couple next door was having a breakup fight (we could hear every word through the wall) but security responded promptly when called.
We loved the Wolfgang Puck restaurant and had a great time walking around checking out the shops and restaurants.

• Liked — The restaurants
  • Disliked — the grout in our shower- gross!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Northeast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Borgata during the fall. Though expecting first class everything, considering the expense and their initially excellent reviews, we were disappointed at several things. The casino, first floor, and buffet were fabulous in appearance. Our room was spacious but blah-looking with a yester-year TV that displayed only a few cable stations. The remote was semi-functional. The bedding felt like sandpaper. Though the buffet looked quite above average, I spent most of the night in the bathroom with what I think might have been a mild case of salmonella. This week I was sent a mail offering for a free overnight stay. We turned it down. Enough said.

• Liked — casino
  • Disliked — room and bad food experience
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2007

I thought I would try The Borgata since it is touted as a Vegas type hotel. I go to Foxwoods and Vegas but hadn't been to A.C. in years because the properites there are run down. I am not a high roller, but I like to play poker and The Borgata has an excellent poker room.

Anyway, we booked a 2 night stay. The hotel looks nice enough and the room was very good for a standard room. The layout and the upscale restaurants gave the impression of a hotel on par with many Vegas Hotels.

The problem started the next morning when the water in my shower turned cold. I didnt pay it too much attention. I went down to the pool and my wife told me that the spa called to cancel her appointment because there was no hot water. The hotel tried to blame the problem on the Atlantic City water authority which doesn't make much sense, because they had water. Another guest said that the boiler broke down.

Again, I didn't get upset. In fact, when I got back to the room the I tried the faucet and got hot water, so I assumed the problem was fixed. Only later when we tried to order room service did I learn that all the restaurants and room service were closed due to the hot water problem. My wife works hard and when we go to a hotel she likes to have the luxury of getting into bed, ordering a "still in the theaters" movie and ordering room service. Since she was already comfy, and we didnt want to go out in 15 degree weather, we went to plan B. We called the front desk and asked for a recomendation on a restaurant/pizzerria that would deliver. The hotel employee couldnt give us a number (not even a Domino's Pizza). The best she could do was send a phone book to our room. I am not kidding. She had the bellhop bring us a phone book. After a few calls, we got nowhere. I went downstairs to get some chips and candy bars.

I know that sometimes things break, but the management's response (or lack of response) was not indicative of a high level hotel. The hotel did not communicate with the guests. If we knew the extent of the problem earlier, we would have gone out for dinner without a problem. It was as if the hotel was trying to hide their problem.

When we checked out I disputed the bill and the front desk's reponse was robotic, just like another person's post on this site pointed out. We were told we could get an upgrade on our next visit. That was unacceptable since I am not going back. Only after I told the manger that I was not paying the bill and would dispute the credit card chage because a hotel has an obligation to supply hot water, did he remove the charge for one night's stay.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2007

-Stayed there for the weekend with my girlfriend (she loved the spa)
-We gambled some (awesome casino), drank some (great wine bar) and *^%$# some (well, a lot and the rooms/beds were great)
-I give this one a Fritz O. thumbs up

Stayed February 2007
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2007

wow !!! This place is in a free fall. I am convinced that the good reviews here are from people who are not very discriminating (or Borgata employees) or who are distracted by the pretty surroundings. All the way home my wife and I were trying to figure out what went wrong since we were there last and we hated to say it -- because we have children the same age as most employees at The Borgata -- but young people don't seem to have the same "substance" as generations before them. They look good for sure. But they are robotic in that they can't adapt to a situation. For example, we called at 9am for room service. At 10:45 it still wasn't delivered. I called the front desk to complain and to state that we could not adhere to the 11 am check out, and the clerk said she wasn't sure she could "offer us" a late checkout. It took an act of Congress to get her to put a manager on the phone, and we were told she would have to first call the in room dining manager to get a report before she could "offer us" a late checkout. This was a SUPERVISOR no less, painfully struggling with this simple situation.
When we showed up at 6:20 for a 6:15 reservation at Bobby Flay's a young lady stated it was OK for us to have a drink at the bar first. Not one minute later she came over to say because we were "late" she would need to give our table away if any of the 6:30 reservations showed up. I reminded her that she had indicated just 60 seconds before that it was OK to have a drink. I educated her that 5 minutes after a reservation time is not "late". She debated me on this ( my wife found her amatuerish explanation comical) especially when I explained to this young lady that someone coming in for a 6:30 reservation should have their own table reserved and should not need to be given a table from someone who had a 6:15 reservation. She truly didn't understand this simple logic. I really felt like I was in a Ponderosa Steakhouse.
Hows this one? When we checked in the young lady at the desk needed a photo ID. I handed her a federal court system photo ID which expired Dec 31st 2006 ( 30 days ago as new ones haven't issued yet) and she refused to recognize it. I supplemented it with 4 other photo IDs from the same judicial agency from prior years and she still was unpersuaded. I explained to her that in January I took 4 airline flights and the United States Department of Homeland Security had absolutely no hesitation in accepting the ID so a NJ casino shouldn't get so bothered. So when I demanded to speak to a manager an equally young woman came out and examined everything and said she needed additional ID. Here's the best part --- I handed her my Boaters Club card from my local yachting group( as a joke) and she quickly accepted it. Only someone with a psychiatry degree could really diagnose what makes young people like this arrogant and empty at the same time -- jealousy ? self importance ?-- but it doesn't play well to people who are well travelled and know what first class treatment should be like. One final note -- Remember the breakfast order that room service still hadn't delivered for 1 hr and 45 minutes ? I called down to the room service manager and sugggested that the bill should be waived and she said she couldn't do that because it wasn't their fault as there were not enough elevators to service all of the rooms and she couldn't know that so many people would call for breakfast at around 9 am. This person also sounded like she was in her late 20s. After I told her how absurd her explanation sounded -- I had to call 2 other people in management before they agreed that 2 hours was too long to wait and that they would "offer me a comp" for breakfast. Gee thanks. In short , a pretty place run by naredowells and empty suits. Hire some people a little older ( more experience) with some greater appreciation for what first class service is supposed to be. P.S. The soft boiled eggs were raw. In the 2 hours it took to deliver our breakfast , they forgot to cook it.

• Liked — Pretty Decor
  • Disliked — Service consistently lacking
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
jersey shore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2007

PLEASE dont use the spa.The services are terrible.I took my husband to the the spa for his birthday and we had 2 treatments.I had a hot stone massage and he had a deep tissue.The price was close to $400.00.When we met after the massages we both exchanged looks that it was not up to our expectations and that in fact it was awful.I didnt want to ruin our celebration and make a scene so I decided to take care of it when we returned home.We sent 3 emails complaining with absolutely no response.I finally called the spa and after waiting what seemed like an eternity and after speaking to numerous people they then told me that they can only give us a 20% discount on future services(HA ,LIKE I WOULD EVER GO BACK AGAIN).I was so disgusted and felt like they should have done something better than that.The truth is the services were terrible.DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — spa
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!