“Probably the best hotel in the state let alone A.C.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newark, New Jersey
“Probably the best hotel in the state let alone A.C.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I have had the pleasure of staying here multiple times over years. The standard room is very spacious, flat screen TV, beautiful large bathroom with a large standing shower with no tub but a beautiful marble bench to sit on if need be. The casino is huge and always seems busy, always. Security Guard at the entrance to the hotel room elevators to make sure everyone entering has a room key and not just wandering. Been to Wolfgang Puck American Grille, Bobby Flays, Fornelettos and Izakaya. All were outstanding. I also love the food court for fast food and especially the eatery ROMA. This is in my opinion the best hotel by far in Atlantic a City as well as the entire that. Seriously.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Turkish first
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I think 10 years ago (I have no idea how old this rat trap is), it was probably nice and customer service probably cared. However, we just stayed there for the first time since it's opening. It was a Christmas present from my husband, and obviously it was a big deal. He dropped a lot of money on it, and bought two of their packages on back-to-back nights (the "Up All Night" and "Romance" package). On top of that, he got us a couples massage and tix to the show "Human Nature." Anyway, he wanted it to be perfect, of course. It was our first big trip since our baby, and getting a babysitter for 2 nights (overnight) is a big deal. So when things went awry, we were upset, and I contacted customer service. Here is the email that I sent to customer service after our stay:

"My husband booked a stay for us at your resort as a Christmas present for me.
I just wanted to let you know some of the problems we encountered, because
as far as I'm concerned, he paid top dollar for what should have been a first-class
memorable experience.

#1) There was trash in the hallway of our floor. That trash remained on the floor for the entire length of our stay. The cleaning service walked over it every day and just left it there.
#2) Unfortunately I had that "time of the month" during my stay, and this is how I know that the cleaning person did not actually clean our toilet, since I inadvertently got blood on the seat, which remained there after our room was cleaned.
#3) My husband booked 2 specialty packages back-to-back (each day was a different package). He had to argue with room service three times to get them to fulfill the package (they practically accused him of lying), and not only were they rude to him, they kept putting him on hold. Why wouldn't customer service be trained to tell the client to expect a call back while they resolved the problem, instead of keeping an already upset client on the phone for 20 minutes at a time, when he's supposed to be celebrating with his wife?
#4) My husband got us tickets to the buffet, esp. because he knew I love lobster. Well, the chefs in the buffet line do not care how many lobster tails people take, because guests were taking piles and piles of them, so by the time we got to the front of the line, there were none left. Why wouldn't there be a sign regulating how many lobster tails you can take at one time, or someone stationed there making sure guests only took one or two at a time - not the whole plate? That way, the casino would not be advertising falsely when they claimed the buffet included lobster tail, because it's certainly not there long enough or fairly enough to remain on the menu.
#5) There were specialty drinks on the cards on the table in the buffet restaurant. When we asked our waitress what was in a certain drink, she said, "I have no idea, and to find out, I'd have to leave the restaurant and go to a whole 'nother bar." So in other words, her very obvious attitude was, don't piss me off and order this drink. What horrible service!!! Whoever heard of such a thing??
I am posting this review on trip advisor, because I think people need to know the real truth about the supposed value behind your "Up All Night" and "Romance" packages, and what horrible customer service you receive if you book those. Not to mention how horribly disappointing the buffet was, and how dirty the cleaning service left a floor and for how long.
Feel free to respond, I am very interested in knowing how you justify charging us such an obscene amount of money for such horrible service."

And one thing that I had forgotten to mention, and this is just an FYI for people booking a massage… I've had a few injuries in my time, so I like a deep tissue massage. That's what my husband booked for me. Well, the woman that worked on me must not know what a deep tissue massage is, because she was basically just slathering me in oil and rubbing it around. For $300 (or whatever the exact cost was – it was a couples massage, and my husband paid for it, so I'm not sure), the masseuse should know what they're doing. My husband could have given me a better massage for free at home. I actually asked her to press/rub a little harder, and she seemed irritated by my request. Again, we are paying for this. This is not something we're getting for free. Why on earth should she be upset by my request? Pre-tip, btw??

So they did respond to my email, and we were offered a free night's stay from Sunday to Thursday. Oh my gosh, how generous!!! So we spent say $1k possibly not including gambling money that we dropped, and you're offering us a $79 room to make up for the rude service and filth? Oh, and on a weeknight, so not only do we have to take off from work, but we have to find a babysitter to babysit on a weeknight? Gee thanks.

So then I asked, can we talk to a manager? Is this seriously the best you can do? And a very rude manager called my husband and said, fine, you can come stay on a Friday. And my husband said, really, is that the best you can do? How about a free drink? Something? No sir, sorry, this is the best that we can do.

I'm starting to forget what good customer service is. You can't find it anywhere, not even at places that overcharge for everything. Anyway, all I can say is, we've stayed at Revel several times, and that places beats Borgata hands-down.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Joanna M, Guest Relations Manager at Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
We’re sorry we didn’t meet your expectations and regret you still aren’t satisfied since having spoken with us over the phone. Our Housekeeping staff certainly should have cleaned the blood that you left on the toilet and we regret they didn’t. In the future, please notify a member of our management team should you have concerns so that we may immediately resolve them to your satisfaction. You should not have had to spend any time discussing the details of the package you booked and the Server in Borgata Buffet should have happily served you the beverage you requested. As we informed you, lobster is not an advertised item in the buffet and was there simply as a limited special item since we had an abundance in what was ordered for another outlet, though we’re sorry it left you with the impression that you weren’t getting the full value. Despite our best intentions to provide first-class service during every interaction, we understand we don’t always get it right. Since you did stay on a Thursday and Friday night, we feel our offer to return was fair, based upon your experiences. Should you wish to take us up on our offer to return, we are happy to welcome you back.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed at the Borgata several nights this past week during one of my annual trips to Atlantic City. I must commend the hotel staff on this visit as they were very warm, accommodating and friendly. After approaching team member and asking where the Homestead steak house was? (rather than pointing and giving directions... ) The Borgata team member asked us to follow him.(pleasant surprise) and brought us to the Homestead Steak house. Its nice that you are not able to enter the elevator area (living room) unless you provide room key at door to attendant. Rooms are clean offering marble bath and glass showers. Starbucks on property did not have any regular coffee 3 days in a row! ((unbelievable)) Only espresso and cappuccino drinks!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

It's very hard to compare Borgata to the other hotels/casino in the area. This place is very classy compare to other hotels. The casino area is very elegant as well as the restaurants inside. The pool is magnificent. The rooms are fabulous! The staff members are very professional and very welcoming! I would go back again soon!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Garden City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Not only is The Borgata and their Water Club beautiful - fantastic service, great restaurants and active casino - if you call for reservations you may find "Amy" who is extremely polite, professional and actively willing to make your reservations. If you haven't been there in a while, any one of their reps - like "Amy" will accommodate your needs. I spoke to her supervisor "Carol" - another person prepared to be accommodating. I'm excited about returning to The Borgata - #1 off the boardwalk!
Class personified - even in their choice of Amy and Carol.
Frances

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Middletown, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We've had a few getaways here & never been disappointed! There's so much to do here, we never have to leave the hotel. Gambling, shopping, dining, dancing, lounging...all under one roof. Video poker at the B-Bar is our favorite for gambling fun, although there are plenty of table games, if that's what you like. We've eaten at The Old Homestead and Bobby Flay's...both delicious. Just know that the restaurants on the casino level are pricey, but there are more affordable eating places on the lower level. After dinner, the Gypsy Bar is our favorite place to listen to live music. We've seen 3 different bands there...all amazing! Spa Toccare offers a variety of services, a gorgeous pool area and fitness center (all guests may enjoy the pool, but the fitness center is $10/day). Can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Iselin, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Live close enough so that I can frequent AC. I am a black card holder. Have often stayed here and elsewhere, generally in comped rooms. Recently stayed in a suite 1/20-22, during the snow storm. Was interested in extending the room, due to weather. My offers on the TV screen indicated that my rate for a reg room would be $59.
I went to front desk, was told something totally different, 2 different times. 1st time, (on Tuesday, in the middle of the storm), was told suite would be $189 and standard room would be $129. When I mentioned my rate on TV screen, I was told that the they "change the rates 6 times a day", but they couldn't tell me what time of the day, this happens. The casino was almost dead, although they claimed that everyone was at the Poker tournament.
That night, went back to room, checked my offers, still $59, for standard room. Since I was willing to pay the $59 for the Wed evening, and maybe more to keep the suite and not have to change rooms, I went back to the front desk Wed am. Once again, I was told I would have to pay the higher price, even though I had given them my card # and ID. Then, when I told them about the offer on the TV screen, again was told, that "the rates change, 6 times a day", they don't know when, "that reservations does this, not the front desk", and that "2,000 people were at the Poker tournament".
I guess they think that people don't follow through or talk to each other. I called reservations from a hotel phone, and they told me my rate for a standard room was $59. They also told me, my rate for a suite, with a king size bed was $129, and $159 for 2 queens. (I was with a friend and we had 2 queens). Reservations denied that they change the rates 6 times a day, and that they had nothing to do with the rates, but that the rates were different on Expedia and other 3rd party sites. They also had rooms available, if I wanted to stay. (Someone we met having breakfast, was in the Poker tournament and told us that when the tournament started, there were about 2,000 players, but as of Tues. night, there were only about 200-300).
Needless to stay, by that time, I wasn't feeling it, was done, and packed. I could have gotten a comped room in another hotel, but decided to go home.
Overall this is nice hotel. They are the primary player in AC and know it. (The newest casino in AC started off on the wrong foot, due to poor management decisions/marketing, and they lost their footing. Hopefully they can get it back).The rooms at the Borgata have been remodeled, are clean, the food is good, but their customer service at the front desk/reservations needs additional training/improvement. I am a black card holder, and this is what happened to me. I could only imagine what someone else, who is paying, might have to go through. You may have to call 6 times a day to get the best rate! Now you know.
With regards to the games, if you play slots, I think their machines are tighter than before. The regulars that I use to see on the machines that I play, I no longer see. Machines that I had to wait for, because the regulars were on them, are empty. It's not just the Borgata, I've seen that elsewhere, as well. When you start counting the intervals and how long it takes to hit a cherry, there's a problem.
If you are able to get the magazine, "Strictly Slots", in the back of the magazine, they are usually 3 months behind, has the percentages that the casinos report in payouts to the Division of Gaming Enforcement, across the states, except for some Tribal casinos, as they don't have to report. If your able to follow this for a couple of months, you might find it interesting, and know that the casinos are in it to make money, not lose. The problem being, when machines are tight, word gets around, and people do talk to each other. Then there are other ways to enjoy your money.
As for me, I'll probably go back, but I am watching the competition, especially when treated like this. Loyalty goes both ways.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have nice sunsets.