“Great Facilities, But As For The Room...” 3 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Borgata Way, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York City, New York
“Great Facilities, But As For The Room...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Some friends wanted a Girls Weekend in Atlantic City. One friend was hellbent on going to the Borgata. I've only been to A.C. once before and stayed at a friend's apartment in Brigantine, so I trusted her judgement.

Upon entering, the place is straight up opulence, with flashy lights and glass sculptures throughout. I felt like some good stuff was about to happen with me, and as I boarded the elevator and arrived at the 36th floor, the hallway painted in rich colors and patterns, I became more excited about the exceptional room I was about to enter.

That...did not happen.

For what equated to a $430 a night room (so approximately $143 for my share), my two friends and I got two full-sized beds that had ripped sheets, both full and fitted. The sheets themselves were starchy and uncomfortable to sleep in. After a few minutes of trying to identify the bright yellow crumbs ground into our carpet near our window, we concluded they were either Cheez-Its or Goldfish, The television was old and pretty non-functional; though we weren't in A.C. to watch television, the simple ability to watch the news in the morning would have been nice. The staff was pretty blasé about our situation, unfortunately. Also, the prices they charged for forgotten toiletries (namely, a toothbush and toothpaste) were damn near highway robbery. I guess our two saving graces were the gorgeous bathroom and the view of the Atlantic Ocean and downtown Atlantic City as we, thankfully, scored an ocean-facing room.

We enjoyed the other amenities of the hotel more so. An indoor pool was the perfect respite after a long bus ride down from NYC, despite the relatively early closing time. Izakaya ended up being a delightful "modern Japanese pub" where I partook in succulent lamb chops, and a spin around mur.mur proved to be fun and fancy-free, gorgeous women dancing on tables and even more beautiful people dancing on the floor; well, I just stayed on the sidelines and took it all in. We were there to see Samantha Ronson spin, with hopes of Lindsay Lohan making a random cameo appearance. (Alas...) Oh, and a Ben & Jerry's that's open at 1 a.m.? Screw a night cap. I'll happily take some Phish Food instead!

However, another downfall of this facility was the location. Either pony up $13 for a taxi, or hope you hop on the correct jitney to get you back to the boardwalk area. The ability to walk out of the hotel and take a two second stroll to the beach is not a possibility, and that's a damn shame.

Come for the nightlife. Get a room elsewhere.

(Original Travel Date: August 2010)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Joanna M, Guest Relations Manager at Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Allison C- We’re glad you visited Borgata with your friends and are disappointed that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. Please know that your review was shared with our Housekeeping management team for them to address. It is nice to know that you enjoyed your meal at Izakaya and had fun at mur.mur! We hope you decide to visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Turkish first
Edenton, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

It was everything I was hoping it would be. They upgraded us to a suite for free and it was great.
I enjoyed the shopping, food and playing the slots. It was clean and up to date. I would definitely recommend and I will be going again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Red Bank, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

If you like paying top dollar for extra bells and whistles(lights, cameras, action) and "free drinks" this is the place for you. If you would rather get a better deal and still have very high quality accommodations, head towards Caesars AC. It is closer to most of the summertime action. Borgata is set far away from everything else... The overall concept is get you there, keep you there, take your money. Where as Caesars is more Get you there, Keep you there, Provide many different types of entertainment besides just drinking and gambling. As a 23 year college graduate/aspiring entrepreneur. There are much better places to "gamble" your money...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I enjoyed the casino,and the food court on days that I didn't feel like eating out.
I also loved the stores, and gift shops there, the room itself was very clean, and quiet.
I travelled to party,shop,and have a totally great time, after partying I was harrased by security as if he didnt believe that I was good enough to be a guest there.

Room Tip: the older staff can be quite rude!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The Borgata glimmers like gold among the other casinos in AC. We stayed for one night and upon entering the room you feel the luxury of the bedding and décor. The bathroom has a very nice glass walk in shower and separate commode closet. The towels are nice and plush. What I liked the most is that there is security at the living room where you enter to take the elevators. It was nice and quiet and the class of personal was an upgrade from Harrah's. I believe the slots paid better than most of the casinos. I would love to stay and play here again. Also saw a comedy show which was excellent. Had experienced the buffet, however it is not so good and very expensive. The food court offers a better variety.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on an upper level
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tromsø, Troms, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The room that my family stayed in at the Borgata was exceptionally clean, spacious, and quiet. Our stay left nothing to be desired from the hotel/casino staff (although take your own bottled water or soda... vending machine prices are outrageous!).

The Borgata is perfect if you are going to Atlantic City for the express purpose of gambling. It is newer than many of the other casinos, classier, and cleaner. However, if your primary purpose is not gambling, you may want to consider another location. There is no beach access, and the highways leading to and from the hotel are very confusing with little signage. It makes you want to never leave the hotel - which I guess is good for the casino!

Overall, however, I would highly recommend this location to those who are looking for a little gambling excitement in Atlantic City. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Forest Hill, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Great check-in process with a very friendly front desk clerk. However, by the time we got to the room, the phone was ringing, telling us that the room was already occupied by people in an adjoining room. The first person that called offered to downgrade the room to a low floor, but while I was rejecting that option, the manager called on the other phone in the room to offer a suite. We were told to wait in the first room for new keys to be delivered. No one came, so we went to the elevator bank, still no one, so I called on the house phone and was told a second set of new keys had been dispatched. Eventually, they arrived and we made it to the suite, which was located at the end of the hall in a circular area. The living area had a view of a marsh area and a windmill farm. (After we had been in the room for 15 minutes, the original set of keys showed up.) The suite itself was one large room, very nicely furnished with a king sized bed, couch, and a large TV. The bathroom was huge, with a dual vanity, large tub, separate shower, and the toilet in separate space with a door. The only downside to the room was that apparently the service elevator is at that end of the hallway and I could hear it running at all hours of the night.

The only other casino hotel I have stayed at is the Encore in Las Vegas. While a notch down from that, the Borgota had a lot of similarities - several fine and casual dining options, several small bars, a couple of nightclubs, and two entertainment venues. The facility is marketed as very upscale, but a large portion of the clientele apparently doesn't see it that way. It looked like the majority of the people there were dressed for a day in their backyard, even on Saturday night at the show. Having said that, there were also small herds of young women dressed in their highest heels and shortest skirts, mostly celebrating upcoming weddings, which made for quite an eclectic scene. All in all, if we were to go to AC again, I would chose the Borgota.

Room Tip: Avoid suites with room ending in 51, apparently very near the service elevator.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanna M, Guest Relations Manager at Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
NPHiker- We’re sorry for the “rough start” with your check-in; we certainly appreciated your patience while we resolved this. We’re glad you enjoyed your accommodations and would return to Borgata if you were in Atlantic City again!

Been to Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!