“Great place with a few flaws” 4 of 5 stars

Revel
500 Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Ranked #6 of 60 hotels in Atlantic City
Red Bank, New Jersey
“Great place with a few flaws”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I pooh-poohed Atlantic City until a few years ago, when, on a lark, we decided to try a trip to the Borgata. We didn't expect much, but we found it fun and went back a number of times.

When Revel opened, we thought we'd give it a try.

I guess we are in their original idea of a target market.- upper middle class,non-smoking, slightly older folks from the New York or Philadelphia Metro Areas who would like a resort rather than just a casino environment. Maybe that model doesn't work...not enough of us, or not enough non-casino spending.

Our experiences here have been quite good.

It;s a beautiful property. Airy, bright. Clean and spacious. Open to the beach and sky. The rooms are wonderful. We have stayed there six times in the last year. Standard rooms are great. We have been upgraded to suites twice...they are simply spectacular.

For the most part, we like the premium restaurants. We tried Azure, the Mediterranean place on our first visit. It was good. It wasn't open on our second visit, so we tried American Cut, their steak house. It was great. The next try at American Cut was dreadful. How can a steakhouse get something so simple so bad? A steak ordered medium rare came out raw the first time, and when it was sent back, came out burned but still raw in the middle. Guys, you are a steak house. Get it right!

Since then, we've gone to the tapas restaurant, Amada. We've had great meals, and some just good. Much seems to depend on your server.

I hope this place makes it.

Room Tip: If mobility is not a problem, ask for a room close to the ocean, away from the elevators and ice mac...

2,364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Wow what a huge property.It really feels like you are on a cruise ship.They incorporated lots of open space into the design.There isn't another property like it in Atlantic City.Outside fire pits,A wonderful inside /outside pool.We were in the pool on a cold rainy day.It was so much fun to swim under and out and back again.

The smoke free environment was a major plus..The staff was fantastic,friendly and always helpful.They went out of their way to help us.They also allowed us to check in six hours early!!!

There are two breakfast venues..The Alcove,somewhat pricey and crowded .The Skycafe on the other hand has a daily Buffett and great views.Go there at least once.Sit at the bars and drink Mimosa's with your breakfast.We did!!

This is the only place to stay in Atlantic City...

Room Tip: We didn't spend much time in the rooms .So a higher room was not needed.Which also gave us much...
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Pros:Modern, clean, comfortable, huge rooms. Spacious bathroom, double sinks. Floor to ceiling windows, wonderful view of the ocean. Free wi-fi. Complimentary morning coffee by the elevators (concierge area). Smoke free. Staff is friendly, helpful and accommodating. Must see the pool area. You can swim from indoor to outdoor, what a concept! There are plently of lounge chairs, a playstation game area for the kids and pool tables.
Cons:We couldn't find the phone number on the website, only the 1-800 number which doesn't work from Canada. Here`s the number, just in case, 609-340-0003, also the confirmation e-mail never came through. Casino had plenty of new slot machines and table games but very quiet, it was Tuesday night. Breakfast buffet had about 5 choices and an omelet station, have definately seen much more variety for $23.99. Overall a wonderful stay.

New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Revel in room 3905, checking in 5/17 and leaving on 5/19.

All went well until we were awakened by a fire alarm at 3:30am. The fire alarm isn't what disturbs me, its how it was handled by the hotel staff. I will list my issues in bullet point form for the sake of being concise.

1. Fire alarm sounds 2x at approx. 3:30am

2. We immediately jump out of bed and poke our heads out the door to see what's going on. We are told by a hotel staffer in a gray outfit that she thinks it's nothing to worry about.

3. Because we are on the 39th floor, we decide its not worth taking the risk of staying based on someone *thinking* all is well. We hear from concerned guests in the hallway that the front desk has a 15 min. wait on incoming calls so we decided to start down the stairs in the fire exit.

4. We meet others in the stairwell and as we descend lower to the last 5 floors, some guests, including myself, are confused by the layout and aren't sure where the real exits are. There is inadequate labeling and instructions as to where to go.

5. We finally reach outdoors and run back around to the front of the hotel to talk to the doorman. He's really confused about what's going on, but nice. His name was Michael and he did call the hotel manager to come talk to us and other guests about what's going on.

6. About 10 - 15 minutes later we are escorted to the hotel lobby to talk to Dean, head of security. He did a terrific job of informing us that it was the cleaning of an electrical closet that caused the alarm to go off and expressed his sincere apology and asked all of us to go to Kyle, the hotel manager, to see if there was something that could be done to help make this better.

7. Kyle didn't bother to look at us as we approached. He looked at his computer screen, asked our name and room # and said..."Oh, you're already staying in a comp'd room." Shrugged his shoulders and said, "Want a free breakfast?" He never said I'm sorry for your experience or expressed any concern over what was a terrifying experience to us. He treated us as if we were looking for some crummy hand out and as if we weren't the victims of a series of Revel's bad judgments that lead to us standing in the middle of a hotel lobby in the middle of the night in our pajamas! We didn't need to be humiliated any further.

8. WHY was someone cleaning an electrical closet at 330am and why wasn't that particular smoke detector put in a test mode to prevent this nightmare from happening!?

What I have left out from my factual recall of the events of the early morning of 5/19 are as follows, this is a description of what I felt and experienced that night and following:

1. As soon as the fire alarm went off, I suffered a panic attack realizing that if a large fire has started on a floor below us, we were in serious trouble and on the 39th floor, that was a distinct possibility. With heart racing, sweat pouring and trouble breathing from fear, all I could think about was my baby son at home that I wished with all my heart would see me again.

2. No communication came from the hotel over intercom...hotel guests on our floor were confused, was this an emergency or false alarm?

3. When we came running around to the front of the hotel after running down 54 flights of stairs, while visibly shaking from head to toe, trouble breathing from a panic attack and covered in sweat, I asked the doorman for water. He didn't have any so the only comfort to me, my husband, left for 15 min. to go find me a $5 bottle of water.

4. We were too afraid to dream of going back to sleep in our hotel room after these events because we realized from the lack of response, there is no evacuation plan in this hotel, its every man for himself...survival of the fittest. We immediately packed our things and left by 5am

5. We felt humiliated by the treatment we received from your unconcerned, rude and demeaning hotel manager, Kyle

6. As we were exiting your hotel at around 5-530am, there we drunks sleeping all over your seating areas, passed out from partying and the van parked near us on the 5th floor had people sleeping in their car. I hope I don't have to spell out the security issues involved with these observations.

7. I have had nightmares every night since about fires and have been exhausted from the lack of sleep.

8. My calves hurt so bad from running as fast as I can down 54 flights of stairs that its a constant reminder of what we've been put through. Not to mention, I am training for a race and have had to miss out on 2 training sessions as a result of the pain.

This email was written so someone might understand that this was a traumatic experience for those involved and hopefully as a result you'll be more careful with setting off false alarms, more prepared to deal with traumatized guests and have a better communication and exit plan in the event that a false or real alarm occurs again because my review of your reactions to these events (excluding Dean, who was the only professional we encountered) was absolutely horrible and humiliating. This is the worst hotel experience I have ever had in my life and we travel extensively.

Toms River NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

A gift trip to the Revel Casino in Atlantic City to my wife and I from our son turned out to be a double nightmare.
It started with a cold reception from the concierge. During our stay the overpriced meals and beverages were horrible, and the service was worse. When my wife's slot machine jammed, the technician came over and just thumped on it a couple of times.
When we left, a ‘thug’ standing at the Revel garage door, in broad daylight, smashed our car window and stole our belongings. Where was security to "thump" the thug?
When we contacted Revel management looking for reimbursement, they said they didn't want to “set a precedent.” I guess they have more robberies than they're admitting.
We reported the incident to the A.C. Police right after it happened, and we're still waiting for a reply.
Meanwhile, we're still struggling to protect our identities and update our accounts.
My recommendation? Stay away!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is a non smokers paradise. I have been in plenty of casino's and they are filled with smoke and stink, which is about every casino I have ever been in with the exception of the Revel. The Revel has fantastic restaurants, great floors, very nice night clubs and the rooms are fantastic. Its within walking distance of the boardwalk, house of blues and the rest of the casino's. While I was there I went to the house of blues and caught a concert as well as walked the boardwalk and shopped on the boardwalk. The Revel has plenty of nice restaurants to choose from a pool that is half indoor and half outdoor along with a game room and hot tubs. I did not try the spa, but did check it out and the prices were fair as well as the ability to book it. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a family stay, married couples weekend out or even singles. Like I said the clubs are nice and the hotel is prestine with beautiful views. It will though take you a long time to walk the entire property. Another good point about this casino/hotel is the parking. Its only $5, which is much cheaper than everywhere else you can park. If I were going to go back to Atlantic City this would be where I would go. The staff is very nice and the concierge was extremely helpful.

Room Tip: Get Ocean view its worth it. The view is perfect and its great for a romantic get away.
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

No expense was spared building this resort/casino! It really is beautiful and every detail is high end. I was there on a weeknight so my rate was very reasonable. I'm sure the ocean front room I stayed in would normally go for triple what I paid... The rooms are beautiful and the resort itself is very nice. Service was great too!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Revel? Share your experiences!