“The good, the average and inedible” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1133 Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ 08401-7329   |
Ranked #8 of 60 hotels in Atlantic City
Morris County, NJ
2,334 helpful votes 2,334 helpful votes
“The good, the average and inedible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

I gave this two stars because there were some parts of the hotel that were outstanding and some that were poor. We booked the room through Hotels.com and paid $119 plus tax for a Friday night,

The good. The hotel is great. Its an old hotel, but the rooms are clean and large, the only thing that they are missing is a coffee maker. We stayed in the old tower. When we got there, I asked to be put in the new tower. The lady at the desk could not do that because they were out of rooms, so she gave us an oceanfront room away from the elevators. She was one of the nicest people I have ever seen at a front desk at a hotel. Additionally in spite of what people said in previous reviews, there was no wait. 5 stars for this.

The average. The casino was smokey and the staff was indifferent. I asked for a drink and was told by the waitress that she was busy. When I am dropping a couple of hundred dollars at a casino, that type of answer is unacceptable. Additionally the casino is geared towards slot players. There are very few tables for blackjack and other games. 2 stars.

The inedible. We ate at the Chopsticks restaraunt and it was one of the worst restaraunts that we ever ate at. At least we did not get sick. 1 star

Would we come back, maybe, depending on the price of the room. Would I go out of my way to stay here, no

• Liked — The checkin staff. She was great
  • Disliked — The casino staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

1,177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

We came here as part of a trip to New York. The hotel was nicely situated but the room just seemed to lack any kind of personality. Everything was nice enough but there didn't seem to be any attempt to be any more than that.
I liked the way a number of the casino hotels were linked, particularly after straying out on foot one night and feeling very unsure of the surrounding area. I would certainly recommend the Hard Rock Cafe to eat in too - the best service I have received in years.
If I came to AC again I would not return to Resorts but instead go to the Borgata. We went here for dinner one night and it was spectacular, the best steak I've had anywhere in the world. The casino was very impressive too as were their cocktails - I higly recommend the Strawberry Vomo...

• Liked — Nice enough room
  • Disliked — There was nothing special about it.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maple Ridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

This was our first stay in Atlantic City, and we were pleasantly surprised to find the Hotel exactly as it was described on the interntet at Orbitz site. The room was on the 3rd floor of the recently renovated Rendezvous Tower. The Ocean Tower is still quite old and in serious need of the renovation. The room was big, quiet, the bed was very comfortable. The walk in shower was very good. The bathroom was very spacious. The room contained a bar fridge, iron and ironing board,and older style t.v. not plasma.
The only thing that I could fault the room for was that it didn't have a coffee machine. Over all, a very nice place to stay right on the boardwalk. Also, we had breakfast and dinner at the "Breadsticks" restaurant in the hotel, and have never had a better breakfast (try their omelettes....and pan fried potatoes) fantastic!!!!!! They also have a very good dinner menu too. Not too pricey considering other places in town.

• Liked — very clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — no coffee machine
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
louisville ky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

I had to go to Resorts for a work seminar and had already read the reviews about long check in lines and the hard beds. Well, it is all true. The desk staff was rude and condescending. We had a member of our group who was very sick and waited over an hour for someone to come to her room with a passkey. Twice she had not been able to get her key to work and the staff argued with her until she was in tears. Very very poor service.
Beds were like sleeping on boards. I like a firm bed but this was ridiculous. Check in took over 45 minutes in line and we arrived at 6:30 PM. Both new and old tower smelled musty. Food was over priced and not palatable. Service in Burger Bar was soooooooo slow.
Firs time in AC and will not go back unless forced to go for business.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — beds
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

The Resorts is pleasant enough. The suites in the Ocean View tower are large, but the bathroom is really showing it's age. Just be aware before you go that it is one of AC's oldest hotels .. so try to be patient with things like the aging elevator. Also, all the staff was extremely nice and pleasant. No complaints there.

This hotel was clean inside, but the windows were so filthy on the outside we could hardly see the Ocean. Sort of disapointing.

The pool was OK .. but I think it's irresponsible to not have a lifeguard on duty. There was never a lifeguard on duty the entire time we were there.

The location is extremely convienent .. right on the boardwalk. Would be nicer if the Wyndham property sales people didn't chase you down every time you walked outside to try to pitch you, but that's the same with many hotels on the strip, from what we could tell.

My biggest complaints were ...
1/ The service is SLOW. So slow! I'm not exaggerating when I tell you it took me fifteen minutes to get a latte at Perk's coffee bar. People in this whole resort walk around like they aren't in a hurry to do anything .. but as vacationers, we just wanted fast and efficient service so we could get out and enjoy our day.
2/ We went a week before off season finished, and during the week, all the amenities are closed. No spa. No buffet. No Cappriccio. That was something I really wish we knew before booking. We chose this place partly for the ammenities. That was extremely disapointing as well. In fact, one of the Wyndham sales folks told us that of all the hotels on the Boardwalk, Resorts had the LEAST to do during the week.

All in all though, it was OK. I am undecided if I'd stay here again .. maybe I would if I couldn't get a room at somewhere nicer. It's not a terrible choice if you're only wanting a room .. but if you want a full-service resort, best to try Caesers.

• Liked — The location, the cleanliness, the staff was very nice.
  • Disliked — The ammenities were all closed, the service was slow.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

Decided I had to write a review about this hotel because when I booked my stay I found the review of others quite helpful in my choice. I wanted to plan a quick get away to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday but had a small budget. We are both in our 30s for those who think the age group is impt. (I did) Found a discount on Sherman's travel which allowed me to book through the hotel's website and get a room for $49 per night from Wedneday to Friday. Stayed in the older part of the hotel, I believe that is the Rendevouz Tower. When we checked in we went to the assigned room but my boyfriend wanted a better view of the water so we went back to the front desk and they were very quick about giving us the best ocean view they had available. It was good enough for me I had a partial view of the Trump hotel, the board walk and lots of water. I found a lot of people complained about the room and bathroom, to me they were decent. I had actually stayed at a 4 star in NYC before and the quality of this room was about the same as that one. Found as many stated that the room got rather stuffy at night when the A/C seemed to feed all the stuffy cigar smelly air from the casino into the room. That made it hard for me to sleep w/o my head under the covers the first night but after that we left the windows open a crack and I was fine. I decided to try the buffet b/c people are always raving about casino buffets, but didn't find the food to be overwhelmingly delicious but to be fair I felt a bit rushed and there was little choice which may have been due to the fact that when we got to the dining room the buffet was almost closed. The gambling seems to be alright (I'm not a gambler I only went b/c we get a comp when you take buses from NYC out there). I hear the best time to hit the slots is late nite going into early a.m. if you're looking for a win but who knows. All in all I enjoyed it although didn't spend much time in the hotel room, don't think this would be a place for people who want to laze around in the room all day long. However, will do fine if you are more interest in a place to sleep after gambling or visiting other things in Atlantic City.
Just one note if you're looking for a casual dining experience, we ate at P.F. Chang's which is closer to the Tropicana hotel quite a ways down the board walk. (It's easy enough to get to if you drive or you could take the jitney or a rickshaw type vehicle you'll see on the boardwalk). Initially I wanted to eat at a Chinese restaurant that I found online that reviewers said had great duck but it was out of duck when we got there so we decided to take a walk and just pop in somewhere that seemed interesting. P.F. Chang's had great atmosphere with low lighting and our waitress was very attentive. On top of that our meal was great...had the duck served with somekind of bread which was light and fluffy.

Stayed May 2007
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

Booked through AC Hotel Experts. Received a bargain price for Sun-Wed stay. Arrived Sun at 1PM. Line for front desk was a mile long. Signage was small and not helpful at all. The Front Desk seemed to be overwhelmed with the crowd arriving. My check in was for 3PM and after the 35min wait, I was able to get a good 10th floor room if I'd wait an hour. No problem. Although some patrons were not satisfied with their requests, most of us were. The desk needs quicker and better trained associates. The bell desk was attended by an older man who seemed intent on reading his paper as other hotel guests dragged their bags by and others asked other patrons for advice and directions. What's the point? The lobby is immaculate and was given an Ocean Tower room. I saw no pizza boxes or garbage in the halls. They were clean and orderly. The room was nice except for a couple of stains (drops) scattered around. Other than that I enjoyed the 'Oldness' of the old hotel (built in 20's) with doors heavier than a Hyundai and an old window that opened with chain weights. The bathroom was spotless and bigger than expected (from other reviewers) and bright. Huge walk-in closet. Could use new lamps though, seen better at the dump. Bed was odd. Firm, yet plush. Soft but lumpy. Weird. Didn't break my back anyway. Upon each departure valet service was quick, less than 8 minutes, and doormen were always happy and upbeat. The spa was also worth it, big hot tub, steamroom/sauna and clean, modern facilities with awesome weightroom. I found this out after a long walk from Resorts to other end of boardwalk to Hilton's and back. The onsite bar/restaurant (Gallager's burger bar/Breadsticks) was OK, but nothing to rave about. All in all a positive stay. Will return again to Resorts in the early fall. Worth it.

• Liked — The feel of a bygone era of Casino resorts and Hotels.
  • Disliked — The Front Desk inefficiency.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Resorts Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!