“Atmospheric The ghosts of summers past echo in the rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Irish Pub and Inn

Irish Pub and Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Atlantic City
Irish Pub and Inn
You added Irish Pub and Inn to your Saves list
164 South St. James, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
A TripAdvisor Member
“Atmospheric The ghosts of summers past echo in the rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

The Irish pub hotel has lots of atmosphere. It links the City's past and needs to be supported as a place to visit. I stayed there with my wife and daughter as well as a couple of nephews who came down to see us from Canada. They thought that the whole of Atlantic city was a bit tacky and that the hotel was old fashioned and not to their liking. I disagreed with them and see the hotel as a very important link with an earlier time. The rooms were interesting quirky but there were cool ocean breezes.The salty air and cry of gulls

.It was a bit of a time travel and there was none of the glitz which has in some ways spoiled what was once one of the premiere holiday resorts on the Jersey coast.

I I worked and stayed in Atlantic City over thirty years ago and while I didn't stay in the hotel I was a visitor to the bar below. it is great to see how little that it has changed and is good value for food and as an evening drinking place. A bit of authentic Irish and American live singing would have been great.

I really much preferred the hotel to the soulless clone rooms of the more upmarket hotels. St. James's Place does need a bit of a refurbishment to complement the little jewel of the Hotel and pub which i first knew as Delaney's in 1972.

Call me old fashioned and sentimental. Support this place give it a break it deserves it. Don't let the past be consumed by the present.

• Stayed July 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
haverhill, ma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2005

My family was first lured into the Irish Pub 12 years ago by a woman standing at the top of St. James Place handing out menus. I was 15. I have been back countless times since then. I was about 20 when I brought my, now husband, there for the first time. Even though it's a 7.5 hour drive for us, we try to go every year. It is our favorite "drinking hole". We stayed at the Irish Pub Inn for the first time last year with our best friend, and while I love the Irish Pub, I would not reccomend the Inn. The rooms are not air conditioned and get quite warm, the smell of fried foods pump out of the kitchen and into your room, (this would not be a problem in the winter, this is because in the summer you have to have your window open). You can't blame them for not being modern, that's their appeal - Victorian. While I plan on visiting the pub many, many more times in my life, I do not plan on staying at the Inn again.

• Stayed July 2004
Hartford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

Very bad, very old
Nice people the inn it's self is just falling apart
It's to bad it really could be something nice
stayed in august
Would not stay again. The bar is great and fun but to bad about the inn

• Stayed August 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2005

A great place to get away from the fast paced over crowded casinos and just relax. You seem to melt into your surroundings in the Irish Pub like no other bar/pub I have ever been to. With the right companion and the Pub's coldest pints, time rolls gently by. At first glance I was skeptical but I am so glad I gave the pub a chance because now I am planning my 3rd visit. Each time it seems to get better. Something about the dimly lit interior and the harmonious sounds of a busy pub make for a very relaxing night. Definitely give it a chance you won't be dissapointed.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2004

If your looking for sparkle and flash... high brow, this is not the place. The Irish Pub is warm and friendly. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. If you plan to stay in a room here, prepare yourself. There is no TV or radio in the rooms. It's clean and comfortable. They have a great jukebox at the Pub. Real people go to The Irish Pub.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2004

My friends and I have been taking day trips to Atlantic City for a few years. We play in the casinos for an hour then go to the pub for the rest of the day until it is time to go back to the bus. We love it. We are planning to stay there over night the next time we go to Atlantic City. Heard the rooms are reasonably priced.

Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2004

Food and beverages are good for the price here. Dont let the outside looks fool you. Bar staff could be a bit nicer, but all in all a good place. Advice on eat and leave is good!

Been to Irish Pub and Inn? Share your experiences!