“Credit card scams are done here!” 2 of 5 stars

You added La Renaissance Suites to your Saves list
La Renaissance Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   190 South Kentucky Ave., Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Ranked #22 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
“Credit card scams are done here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I decided to stay here because of the cheap price. However, shortly after checking in I received a phone call from the front desk stating my credit card information for my incidentals wasn't transferred. I said I'll come downstairs and she nice to say she'll save me the trip and take the information over the phone. Lucky for me I accidentally hung up on her. When I called the front desk back they had no idea what I was talking about. I'd love to know how this woman knew I recently checked in and the room I checked into. The manager had the nerve to offer me 40% off my next visit. Uhh how about it should've been free!! So when I went to the front desk to check out and get my generous 40% discount for a future visit the clerk had no clue what I was talking about. He then called the manager who confirmed the discount. I've been waiting for the past 30 mins. I wonder how long this will take or if I'll get it at all.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

First, let me say it is ideally located on the Boardwalk. It was clean but definitely not comfortable. The sofa had very little padding and you could hardly get off the couch without help. There were 2 TVs - one in the living room and the other in the bedroom which was not hooked up. Both TVs were probably 15-20 years old. The fridge did not work. It froze everything we put in it no matter what the setting. The eating utensils were kept under the kitchen sink. The Internet was out 4 of the 7 days we were there and wifi was only available in the lobby when the Internet was working.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Peckville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I believe the bad reviews are a conspiracy to keep ugly nasty stupid people out and I believe it is working. I apologize for the offensive adjectives, but the bad reviews mad me do it. Everyone I met, both workers and guests, were very pleasant. Especially Terry, the daytime front desk manager, he provided a very high level of service. Yes, the place is dated, but very clean and comfortable. The view and location were perfect. Parking was a breeze. I would suggest to park on the third level that is where the luggage carts are located. The pool and jacuzzi worked for us. My husband and I travel quite a bit and have been to many destinations/hotels/resorts and I have to say this was a very nice vacation. The La Renaissance is great place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunny Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

After staying at La Renaissance for a week in late July, 2012 (utilizing a timeshare exchange), I can honestly say we will be back. First I must address other comments about noise, This building is right on the boardwalk, centered between Trump's Taj Mahal and Bally's, across from the gocart track and close to the historic Steel Pier Amusement Park. Here every store and beach bar have their music blasting as loud as they can. Atlantic City (key word CITY) is primarily a family/party place. You can't expect any hotel to be like a secluded ski lodge when you're steps from the boardwalk. Some tips to share: internet access (free WiFi) is available only in the lobby. Garage parking (the only parking available) is a bit complicated but manageable and very secure..Smaller cars are the easiest.to park (don't bring your crew cab pickup). Our room had a 4 burner stove, dishwasher, medium size refrigerator and range hood microwave but no oven so plan your meals accordingly. There is a 7-11 and full size supermarket close by if you're unable to bring your own food and there's a wide selection of restaurants within "boardwalking" distance (of all price ranges), even a Dunkin Donuts right outside the door.
In our opinion:.Staff: A- Everyone we talked to was courteous and helpful, although usually very busy. Cleanliness: B+ The building and furnishings are dated, but everything was clean and functional and we did not see any "bugs" as mentioned in earlier reviews, not even one. Neighborhood:(away from the boardwalk) C- The entire area is struggling right now as is most of the rest of the country (which is no fault of this resort). Security:A, You do not enter the building without "front desk" authorization and the room keys are programmable chips, not magnetic strip cards.Keep in mind most of the units are different, one or two bedrooms, with or without balconies. This review was based on our experiences in room 901, a one bedroom with no balcony (but with wall to wall windows). All in all, if you are a fussy perfectionist, try somewhere else but if you want a clean, affordable place to stay centered in the middle of the boardwalk action, this is the place.

Room Tip: As stated earlier, most rooms are different but as a rule, rooms without balconies (north side) are...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed here back in February for a Girls Weekend in AC. It was cheap and hand enough room to accommodate all of us. When we checked in, the guy at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.Being that we had two cars, only one can park in the parking garage. This parking garage requires two people to operate the car elevator!! It takes forever and is scary!!! My friend parked her car across the street in the lot for a flat rate that wasnt bad. I had a feeling something was going to go wrong when he handed us that weird looking key that wasnt a key card. :-(

We were there to party so we really didnt spend much time in the room. We got food on boardwalk came back to room, ate, started drinking, changed and were out the door. We got back into room around 4am.

Around 5am I woke up to hear water dripping. I looked at my friend and she heard it too. It sounded like it was coming from the kitchen. Woke up the rest of the girls. We turn on the lights to see water dripping out the sprinkler and the carpet all wet. After turning on all the lights, we saw water coming out of the light, and down the walls. We call down to front desk, and the guy on duty DIDNT SPEAK ENGLISH!!!! WHAT??!!!!! So luckily we know some broken spanish. He came up and said maintenance didnt come til 8 or 9! Im like "dude, this room is a mess. I cant wait that long". He goes downstairs with one of my friends to call someone who did speak better english. I noticed the room was getting hot and realized that it was HOT water coming in! I told everyone to pack up, we were getting out of there. Just then THE CEILING FELL IN!!!! Yes, hot water was EVERYWHERE!!! It was just pouring in the kitchen like a water fall. You should have seen us scrambling to put on shoes, get food, get clothes (we had went shopping and clothes were everywhere), laptops, cell phones, chargers etc.

By then the people next door to our room were up too and saying they had a little water in there room. Apparently we were under the hot tub which is on the roof and a pipe broke. After all the drama, we got another room, which looked better than ours, and a free night stay. lol

Pros:
Room was clean, everything worked
Staff is friendly
Good location, nice oceanfront view

Cons:
Parking garage-What parking garage? Its a closet!! I dont suggest parking in there if your car is bigger than a minicooper
Employees should speak English no matter the shift
Elevators slow
Older building

Room Tip: Some rooms are renovated. Ask for one!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Clifton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I am a time share owner here. I booked the room only for a partial week last year. because
I was told that the room had been booked by another party.

Now as I understand my ownership rights, some part of the fee charged for rental is supposed to come to me as a credit towrds my annual fee. However, I received my annual statement to remind me to book the unit. my fee was $655, no credits what so ever. I just called to book the room for this year. and was told there were no credits. Some years ago there was a problem with the front desk and thr on site super where they would rent out the rooms and pocket the money if the room was vacant and not being used by an owner. This similar situation occured the year previous but I had no proof. I think something shady is happening, that the owners don't know about. I tried to sell this property but have been told I'm on the list! yeah. what list? The list of Fools? to take advantage of? -- - ugh...enough said, Done. Help me outta here.

Room Tip: Only come down on a weekend and get a bargain rate for a bed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at La Renaissance Suites for 4 nights for a girls' weekend and to attend the Orion Music Festival at Bader Field. And yes, while the place may not be "up-to-date' - it was clean and it more than served its purpose for our needs and pocketbook!! Now we are from the Miami area and do not scare easily and are more than a bit street wise, so we did not find it particularly scary - but I would not recommend walking NW from the hotel solo up to Atantic Ave at night. I mean if you are from Mayberry and are not use to the Big City... well this place isn't for you - stick to the more populated/touristy areas. If you can handle yourself and can be aware of your surroundings and don't need to be a diva, then you will be fine here. This place is RIGHT ON THE BOARDWALK!!! So why pay hundreds of $$$ when you are not going to be in your room? We had a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen. The staff was FAB and answered all of our questions. To top it off, we found the best local Pub 2 blocks away - the Irish Pub - open 24/7, best drinks, atomsphere & food!! So no, it's not the Borgata, but who the hell wants to pay $300/$400 a night for 1/2 the space to sleep and shower? Seriously? Would I stay here during spring break?? NO!!! I can see how this place would probably get out of hand in that type of situation - but we had no problems during out stay - no noise at all - so plan accordingly. Didn't try out the pool, so I couldn't tell you about it.

Room Tip: There is a shopping plaza with a CVS and a supermarket about 3 block NW of the hotel on Atlantic Ave...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to La Renaissance Suites? Share your experiences!