“Well worth visiting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Nugget

Save Saved
You added Golden Nugget to your Saves list
Golden Nugget
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Huron & Brigantine Blvd, Atlantic City, NJ 08401 (Formerly Trump Marina Hotel and Casino)   |
Ranked #3 of 61 hotels in Atlantic City
Mt. Pleasant, SC
“Well worth visiting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We frequent the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas and were interested to see how this one in Atlantic City compared. It is clear that, architecturally, they tried to copy the strengths of the one in Vegas, especially the restaurants. The Grotto bar, one of our favorites for Happy Hour and dinner, is nearly identical to the one in Vegas. If you haven't eaten at the Grotto, the food is excellent, especially the wood-fired pizzas and salads. The pizzas were not on Happy Hour, while they are at the Grotto in Vegas. The wine selection at Happy Hour is also much better in Vegas (this one had Sycamore Lane as their house wine). The pasta is great, but fairly expensive. Vic and Anthony's is the high-end steak house, and Lilly's has the Asian flair. Interestingly, the 24-Karat card from Vegas did not work in this casino. We had to get new cards. Thus, while the casinos have the same name, the cards, and therefore the earned "comps", are not "linked". This was a surprise to us. But, if you like the GN in Vegas, you'll like this one, too. We certainly did. We felt at home.

Overall, we were very impressed with the remodeled casino/hotel. While it was small, it is perfect for small-time gamblers like us. It was clean, modern, and not overly crowded. The casino had $1 and $5 blackjack tables (Harrah's had a $10 minimum table), and there were plenty of modern-type penny slot machines you could play for 25 cents. The slots were tight, but at least you could have fun playing for awhile before "donating" your daily allotment to the casino. It was much better here than Harrah's, where the slots are even tighter and the minimum more like 50 cents in their machines. There were non-smoking areas around the slot machines, again adding to the positive features of this hotel.

The GN is located away from the Boardwalk (a good thing if you want a casual, more subdued getaway like we did), but for $2.25, if you want something different, you could take a jitney to nearby larger casinos in the marina (Borgato or Harrah's) or to the Boardwalk casinos. These jitney buses came frequently.

There were plenty of little shops just off the casino floor. While we didn't stay at this hotel and can't comment on the rooms, although they seem to get rave reviews on Tripadvisor (we stayed at Harrah's because of a junket), there's no question that we would stay here if we came back to Atlantic City on our own.

950 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed 10/02/2013

Upon arrival I was impressed at the modern décor and the politeness of the staff. I waited close to
20 minutes before check in. Once at the counter I mentioned I was there for my wedding anniversary
and the clerk took my info and disappeared for almost 5 minutes. Once she returned I advised how upset I
was and she provided what I thought was a lame dry excuse, for her disappearance ( especially with a line full
of people behind me) I asked for a suite and was rather shocked - no floored upon entering the suite. It overlooked
the city and the Marina as well. It was almost sunset so the view was even more stellar. I could not begin to find anything
in the room to be upset about, in regards to the amenities. White leather sectional couch, King bed ,65 inch flat screen, bar
walk in shower ,private bathroom, digital charging station, dual comfort zone heat/AC controllers and did I mention the view !!!
I could not help but think that the check in clerk made a mistake and gave me the wrong room. We went out danced ate gambled
ate more into the wee hours of the morning. Staff was great everywhere no issues. Upon check out I mentioned again I did not
appreciate the way the check in clerk took my ID and disappeared upon check in. A few days passed it was still in my head about
that clerk so I called cooperate ( I was concerned as I have been a victim of identity theft) I spoke to Victoria in Management, with
the Hotel. Victoria listened to my issue looked my information up in the system and explained what the clerk did was get approval to
upgrade us to a Spa Suite for the same price. Victoria explained to the letter why she had to do it that way and then advised the true
price of the room. I was very impressed and overwhelmed at the same time. It explained so much as I was under the impression the
whole time the clerk had made a mistake, when in fact she comped us for our anniversary in a room 3 times what I would normally
pay. The suite was 7 star to say the least. It provided plenty of memories for our wife and I and we will always hold the Nugget in
high regards for that.

Room Tip: anything above a normal room rate should come with free breakfast
Mountainside, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This Casino is in the Marina district and we came away feeling it compares quite favorably to it neighbor The Borgata.

It does not have the size of either Harrahs or Borgata, but in my opinion, that is a good thing.

If you are a heavy gambler (we are not) you may not like it as much as we did.
For the casual gambler, there is more than ample gambling to be done.

Where this casino-hotel shines in the amenities. The bars and restaurants are outstanding.
They all feature great happy hours and all are superbly updated after GN did a massive update after taking over the former Trump Marina.

The outdoor pool on the 6th floor ROCKS!
Superb hot tubs and a great heated outdoor pool.
At night, you can enjoy the pool bar and sit around the 2 outdoor fire pits. Great ambiance.
top notch Happy Hour at the Grotto. Bartender Jake is a rock star.

Where the hotel really shines:
The rooms are beautifully updated and everything is top notch.
We had stayed at the Water Club in the past, and for us, these rooms compare very favorably.

We love the size of the hotel-casino as it is very easy to navigate. Oh- free WIFI in the casino level and the Bar-WIFI as well. Outstanding

Overall wrap up- great smaller casino- but in this case, smaller is better.

Room Tip: Ask for the view of the AC skyline- gorgeous on a clear day.
Trois-Rivières
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in october 2013. It was quiet, clean, good looking and comfortable. We took a bay view room which if I return I won't pay more to get that view... We were on 24th floor. We let the fan worked all night long so it makes a constant noise. It help people like me who wakes up every little noise!!! The restaurants were great. We tried the Italian and Asian. The food and the service were excellent and at a good price. The only bad side of this hotel is the distance from the boardwalk. It's a 25 minutes walk or you can take a bus for 2.25$. If you like to walk you can also walk to the Harrisand Borgatta by using the sidewalk at the rear of the hotel... If you want to shop best place is the Tangers outlet. I really make good deals! Once we had breakfast at Cavo crepe cafe in the middle of the outlets. It was cheap and good! I'll return for sure. We also had breakfast at Margaritaville restaurant on the boardwalk it was excellent! If you want to have a good lunch, at a good price and drink a cold beer you should try the Irish pub on St-James. If you like white beer try the Blue Moon draught. I which we had that draught in Quebec!!! You can have access to wifi at the ''Wine and wifi''. After 3 nights we decided to try a hotel on the boadwalk. We went to the Ceasars. It was clean but we had hard time to sleep. It was noisy. We were in room 7711. I won't return for sure in a room like this but the hotel is really well located. We will return for sure in Atlantic city!!!

jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I haven't had the chance to see the new and improved Golden Nugget since it was renovated under new ownership. The last time i saw it it was still the Trump Marina, an old and outdated hotel that left a lot to be desired. Rooms were clean, modern, and decorated sensibly. Staff was friendly and courteous. we ate dinner at Lillie's, Asian cuisine. The food was OK but the ambiance was worth visiting the restaurant. New shops, Bars, restaurants, and renovated rooms made the Golden Nugget seem like a brand new casino, hotel and a destination worth visiting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a dividing door. Can hear everything your neighbors are saying through these...
New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had stayed at the Golden Nugget in May,2013. In the morning when we woke and had full daylight, we saw that the room was not as clean as it should have been. I took photos and showed the front desk manager. She offered us a discount on our stay or a free night in the future. We decided to take the future free room for my birthday. After exchanging emails, she was so kind and upgraded us to a junior suite! The view was magnificent, the room was beautiful, the service was amazing! We have been dealing with a lot of stress in our lives and it all melted away while at the hotel. I am very grateful and filled with happiness. My only wishes would be for the casino to be completely smoke free, and if the parking spaces in the garage were bigger. I have a sedan and people with SUV's take up 2 spots or park so close to my car that it is difficult to enter/exit my car. Otherwise, a lovely experience and we can't wait to return. The spa was lovely too.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Really good stay. Everything at the hotel is new and nice. Free wifi everywhere, good restaurants, places to sit and wind down in peace. Check in line may be slightly long but that is my only grievance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Nugget? Share your experiences!