“This is a very nice hotel, but....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Nugget

You added Golden Nugget to your Saves list
Golden Nugget
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Huron & Brigantine Blvd, Atlantic City, NJ 08401 (Formerly Trump Marina Hotel and Casino)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
20% OFF MIDWEEK PACKAGE
Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Wilmington, Delaware
“This is a very nice hotel, but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Last weekend, the wife and I had a Saturday night out to see the band Blondie and X in concert. Since they were playing at GN and I was able to procure a room there for $200, we decided to book here.

Getting to the Golden Nugget is an adventure in itself. If you don't know your way around AC, make sure your GPS is up to date. Signs will direct you to the Marina District-where the GN is located-but they don't quite seem to get you there. In fact the signs disappear long before you get there. Maybe it's just me, but the road system here seems designed by mental patients. Once we did get there, finding the parking garage was bit tricky. Drive past the main entrance/valet to the back of the building and go left. Find your parking space and be prepared to pay the $5 parking fee on the way out.

Checking in was a breeze and uneventful, we got the keycard to our room and immediately made our way upstairs. The whole hotel and especially the rooms are newly decorated, clean and very modern looking with a slightly hipster aesthetic. This is a nice change of pace for AC when comparing some of the broke-a$$ old hotels on the boardwalk (I'm looking at you Trump Towers...er...I mean DUMP Towers).

On a map, the marina district looks like it hosts 2 other hotel/casinos (Borgata and Harrah's) within walking distance. They are NOT, so be prepared to drive (which I don’t recommend), take a taxi or use the Jitney which is AC's public bus transportation. The Jitney is $2.25 per person each way and travels to all of the casinos in AC. They come around on a fairly frequent schedule and are a great way to get around. The only caveat-which has yet to be confirmed-is that if you plan to take the Jitney to Harrah's or the Borgata, coming back may be by way of going all the way to boardwalk before the Jitney makes its way back to the GN.

After taking the Jitney downtown to try our luck at the boardwalk casinos we came back to GN around 4pm. With a little time to kill before our concert, we decided to check out the pool area on the 6th floor. Be sure to at least give it a visit if you can. The area is huge with a giant seating area next to the pool with occasional DJ and bar right next to it. My only regret is that we didn’t have more time to hang out here.
After the pool bar, we went to our room to change and relax for few, then made our way downstairs to get a quick dinner at one of the restaurants. After dinner, we went to The Grand where the show was being held. Let me just say this: I have been to hundreds of rock concerts in my lifetime, but this was the most surreal and unsatisfying concert experience I have ever had. The Grand is a giant ballroom (think wedding reception) which had very tight seating setup on risers to give a view of the stage. The sound was decent, but the entire crowd SAT for the entire opening band (X) and through most of the headlining band (Blondie). Just my own griping here, but I have NEVER been to a concert where I was forced to sit. This makes it hard to enjoy that type of show.

After leaving The Grand, we went to the GN’s casino which is just MEH. As others have said, the layout is bit odd and I’m guessing was done this way to make it seem bigger than it really is. After losing a bunch of money in the slots, we went to one of the bars which had a cover band playing a set of funk songs. I’m not usually one for cover bands, but these guys could really play their a$$es off. Unfortunately, the bar has a really weak beer selection and what they do have is HORRIBLY over-priced. I certainly expect to pay for my drinks at any bar, but $8 for a lousy Heineken draft? The whole place really seemed to wind down after 1am and we made our way back to the room at about 1:30 and called it a night.

Oh yeah, the walls really are paper-thin. You can hear everything in the neighboring rooms and the hallway. Be prepared for this. We got lucky this night though, but could really hear a lot of noise earlier in the night and the next morning.

I really wanted to give this hotel 3 1/2 stars, but I can't justify a 4 so I'm rounding down.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Spent three days at the Golden Nuggett, had a great time, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

This place is great, very good places to enjoy your meals!!!

Our room was beautiful aand very clean!!!!

Can't wait to return for another graet time!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The rooms and rates were fantastic. Hotel is not on the boardwalk however, the view from the pool level at night of the strip is great. Beautiful sunrise view each morning. Mint room. Nice pool. no complaints. highly recommend

Room Tip: high floor of course
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Glendale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have stayed at the Golden Nugget AC probably 10 times since it has been redone (it was the Old Trump Marina). The rooms are very nice here - comfortable bed, clean, good views, nice up to date bathrooms. The pool are is also very nice. Along with the main pool there are hot tubs and a pool that you can sit in a chair and wet your feet. There is also a fire pit at the pool/bar area. There is a good choice of resturants at this hotel also. I highly recommend the Italian Rest. Grotto that is right on the casino floor. Also, Michael Patricks Brass. is good for breakfast and lunch. The french toast is delicious here. In the warm weather try the Deck which is on the marina side. This is a good place for a few drinks and a bite to eat and to enjoy the scenery. They also have live bands. I love the location of this hotel (along with Harrahs) because you are away from the boardwalk. I love AC but hate the boardwalk in the summer, but love it in the fall and winter when it's quiter and less kids and tourist. From the Golden Nugget you can catch the jitney that willt ak you over to all of the hotels including the Borgata and Harrahs. The only drawback at the Golden Nugget is that the casino slot machines can use a little updating (there appears to be some of the older machines still here from when the hotel was the Trump Marina) but duirng last visit in July they have made some improvements. I am going to the GN this weekend. If you are not a member od their rewards program you shoudl join it so you can enjoy the perks!

Room Tip: All the rooms are really nice! The rooms facing the marina are nicer but I don't spend much time...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Torrington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Although I didn't stay here, my son, who is 20 had booked a room. At no time during the check in process, nor on their website is their any indication that the minimum check in age is 21. When I called to verify that my son would be able to check in, I was told that it's New Jersey state law. He was told at the front desk that it was because there is a Casino. None of this is accurate. If the hotel has a policy of a minimum check in, I would fully understand that. They should indicate this in their literature, and on their website. They don't. Luckily the front end manager (Not the Main manager), assisted my son in securing a room at a nearby hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sonya B, Manager at Golden Nugget, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that your son experienced at our hotel this week. We are sorry that he was not aware of the regulation mandated that all guests must be 21 and older to check in to a casino hotel in Atlantic City. This information is outlined on much of our collateral and detailed under the Terms and Conditions of the Rooms Reservation section on our website.

We also want to thank you for acknowledging the Staff Member, who displayed the Golden Nugget high standards of customer service, by assisting your son in acquiring accommodations at a non casino property that does not have to follow the same strict regulations that we do.

Thank you for your feedback and for your understanding of the policies and procedures we must adhere to.
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Had a great time at the nugget. Haven is a great club for those in the club scene. During the day, the deck is awesome to hang out, grab some cheap drinks and they usually have a live band on the water. Rooms are super new and clean. Vegas style pool party on 8th floor. Everything you need for much cheaper than most AC casinos!

• Stayed August 2013
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Golden Nugget AC. We met a hostess named Amelia Lopez at the Michael Patrick's restaurant. She was very friendly and she made my dad and I feel welcome. Nice people make all the difference. Overall We had a fun time. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Golden Nugget? Share your experiences!