“Nice place to stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 60 hotels in Atlantic City
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Nice place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed for a convention for 3 nights. Nice, clean room. Bed was very comfy with nice linens. Housekeeping staff on our floor was great. Club lounge staff was super great. Reception desk staff was ok, not overly friendly. My room was a little noisy in that I swear I could hear an elevator going up and down all night long each night. I don't know if there was a service elevator adjacent to my room or what. Then there was screeching from plumbing pipes in another room that woke me very early in the morning. I don't know who is responsible for the walkway to the convention center but there was an old plastic soda cup sitting on the window sill all 4 days we were there. You would think someone would have trashed that. But the thing that got me the most was no wifi in the room. There is wifi only only on the first and second floor. And, the second day, I couldn't even connect to the wifi on the second floor. At at hotel connected to a large convention center, where you know business people are staying, wouldn't you expect wifi in the rooms so people could take care of business easily? Bottom line.. convenient to convention center, clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SheratonAC, General Manager at Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with us during your convention. We are glad to hear that your enjoy the comfort and convience our our property. We look forward to having you as our guest the next time you are attending a convention or to just enjoy the excitement of Atlantic City.

820 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton for 6 nights and were generally very happy. The rooms are OK - certainly very clean. In my opinion the housekeeping staff did a fantastic job. Sevice at reception was hit and miss. Check in and out was quick. But, there was no bell boy in the hotel on the evening we arrived and we had to take the one cart the hotel had up in the lift. Another day, we were callled to say that a parcel had arrived and to go down to Reception to sign for it. After going down it took 45 minutes for security to bring the parcel to Reception.

The deluxe room was not quite as spacious as I expected it to be for the price paid. The microwave and small fridge were very useful. The gym was renovated in the last 12 months and is excellent for cardio - with a few dumbells and a multi-gym machine.

Yes the walls between the rooms are really thin vis-a-vis the amount of noise carried. I think the next door room was only occupied 1 evening, and we could hear everything they were saying.

Breakfast was good for $12. I think they may charge more at other times? It was not worth more than $12.

There is a small shop downstairs with overprice sweets and sundries.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonAC, General Manager at Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay. We use these comments to help improve for our future guests. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon to show you our improvements.
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel staff is very nice but there were a couple of small things wrong with the room that made it not as good as it could be. The faucet in the bathroom sink had no aerator in it which meant the water just went all over the place. The bed coverlet had a couple of pulled threads that you could see since it was a delicate white coverlet. And while it has a lot of outlets the lamp by the coffee maker would not turn on. We found out the next morning when we tried to turn on the coffee maker that it too was unplugged and both needed to be plugged back in to work when we had not unplugged it. And a lamp by the bed had a burned out bulb and would not turn on.

All those little things add up to make you sort of go eh about the place.

And they have no Wi Fi at all in the room you can only get on if you are direct connected.

Room Tip: If you can get up to the level to get breakfast included it is well worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing these details about your stay. We have shared your concerns with our team and will make sure we are paying close attention to these details for our future guests. We would love to have you back as our guest, please contact our Executive office so we can make sure you next stay with us is as comfortable as possible.
Parsippany, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This place is nice if you want to stay close to the outlet shopping and avoid the crowds of the Casino hotels. The Casinos seem to make you march through the casinos to get to the front desk for check-inn and again to get to your rooms. This place is smaller, no casino and the crowd was a bit nicer. Only downside was that it was a long walk to the boardwalk so you probably need a cab ride. Parking as reasonable at $14/day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear you enjoyed our property and its location to the outlets. We hope to see you soon, the next time you are in AC for outlet shopping or just a quiet stay.
Secaucus, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is the first time I've been back to this property in ten years and I was disappointed in the stay from responsiveness of staff to sound proofing of room to lack of wifi on the floor.

I probably won't pick this place again unless I simply need a place to stay for the night and don't mind potentially getting woke up in middle of the night. Even if I did, I would not pick the club floor. It is poor value unless you have an army of kids to feed.

The stay was poorer than expected because I couldn't sleep at all due to all the flushing of toilet through out the night that I heard immediately above the bed. While I can hear my neighbors opening and closing doors, it wasn't that bad. The room was comfortable otherwise but I do feel it is slightly dated compare to other hotels that I stayed at.

The good:
-Excellent location as this is next to the outlets so it is easy to get some shopping done.
-I was checked in promptly and offered the late checkout with the gold benefits. I wasn't expecting it as it is a conference property.
-The room is generally clean with a good view of the city.

The average:
-I paid for the club floor in order to take advantage of breakfast and complimentary wifi. Breakfast on the club floor was ok. It is sufficient to get you by but not something that I would want to pay for as there is a lack of hot food. Residence Inn, which I stayed at previously has significantly better breakfast without charge.
-bed was nicely made and the bathroom has all the little things like shampoo and conditionaer so I don't have to bring them.

The bad:
-Neither me or my wife was able to sleep much due to us hearing everyone flushing their toilets above us or a single party that ate something bad that night and couldn't stop going to the toilet. Regardless, I shouldn't have been able to hear the flushing that much.
-I asked for a refrigerator upon check in in order to store some precious milk for my infant at home. It took more than 4 hours and at least 4 phone calls to finally get one in our room.
-No wifi in room. Wait, did I just wroke that there is no wifi this day and age? I didn't thought much of it when the front desk didn't ask what I want to pick for gold welcome gift as I would sort it out later. I usually pick wifi but in this case since I have went for the club floor, I thought the "complimentary wifi" listed for club floor was for in room wifi so it would automatically default to spg points. Little did I know that wifi doesn't exist other than 1st, 2nd and 16th floor (I think in the club room only). Let's just say that I thought I was in a time warp going back 10 years when wifi isn't readily available everywhere.
-probably being picky, but the coffee maker was not cleaned as I tried to make some coffee in the morning. I simply grab some coffee upstairs in the club room.

As I mentioned, given that the only thing difference for the rooms on the club floors and other floors is the breakfast and the afternoon hors d'oeuvres, save the money and go out for food nearly or even downstairs unless you have a bunch of kids to feed. You simply get better selection of food that way.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us. We have shared you comments with our team members and are working hard to make improvements in the areas you have mentioned for our future guests. We hope that you would try us again the next time your travels bring you to Atlantic City! Please feel free to contact our Executive Office so we can make sure your return stay is as comfortable as possible.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night. Came to A.C. for a concert at the Borgata on Friday the 23rd. Check in was quick and easy. The room was clean and tidy. Sleep came easily, as the bed was very comfy. Hotel was within walking distance to many outlet stores and dining. The jitney made getting to the Borgata easier than driving but it was a longer wait for #3 than for the #2, which came around every 5-10 mins. Overall had a very pleasant stay and id return for a nice quick weekend getaway

• Stayed November 2012
SheratonAC, General Manager at Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton Atlantic City Hotel. We are happy to hear that you got a good night's sleep after your exciting evening in AC. We look forward to having you stay with us again for "a nice quick weekend getaway!"
LONG BRANCH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Yes I was a FEMA refugee being housed at the beautiful Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel. Although I wish the circumstances for our visit would have been different, I must say the staff treated us with the utmost respect and courtesy as if we were regular paying guests at the hotel. Initially, I was a little upset at the lack of amenities that this hotel had to offer inside the rooms. Then I realized that this hotel is primarily for business people who usually have expense accounts and can write off things without cost being a factor. Our situation was slightly different. We came with nothing but a suitcase having either been flooded out of our homes or lost our homes completely. We were asked for a $50 deposit either cash or credit card for incidentals in the room. I hesitatingly gave them my Visa. I had no intention of using any incidentals in the room. In addition, we were charged $20 for a refrigerator to be put in the room for the duration of our stay. I was then told it was $14.00 per day to park in their parking garage and there was no other options for parking. In addition, their rooms did not come with microwaves; only a Keurig coffee maker. In addition, free WIFI was only available in the lounge on the second floor or the main lobby on the first floor. There was no wireless Internet in the rooms. If you wanted to use the Ethernet connection in the room, it was $9.95 per day!!!! Ridiculous. Even the worst hotels have free WIFI, microwaves and refrigerators in their rooms. That part I found hard to comprehend as I stated before, this is a businessmens' hotel primarily. I guess that's another expense write off. So needless to say, I spent a lot of my time in the lobby and second floor lounge since I needed to stay in communication with my job as well as friends and family given the circumstances.

Now with that being said and given the extenuating circumstances of not only myself but over a hundred other people that were staying there as part of FEMA emergency housing, the refrigerator fee ended up being waived as well as the parking fees.....thank God! I'm not quite sure if that was the result of my phone call to Sheraton corporate or if FEMA stepped in after the mounting number of complaints about those fees.

Aside from that, the stay was wonderful...the place is spotless and the staff was courteous and knowledgeable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SheratonAC, General Manager at Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback and your kind comments about our staff & hotel, we will ensure that they all know how you enjoyed your stay. Hurricane Sandy is truly something that everyone will talk about for a long time as all communities on the east coast work together to get back on their feet. The hotel was one of a very few in the area that worked directly with FEMA and was following the program that was outlined by FEMA from the very first day. It was solely the hotel decisions to waive the fees for parking & refrigerators and discount breakfast every morning – we wanted to ensure we were doing the right thing for everyone. Please understand that with all that was going on it took everyone including the hotel & FEMA a couple of days to get a smooth process in place as we changed our normal operating procedures to accommodate long term guests. We look forward to seeing you back in Atlantic City in the near future. If you have any associates who assisted you during you that you would like to be recognized please contact our executive offices we would love to reward & recognize them for you.

Been to Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center? Share your experiences!