“fun in AC” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 61 hotels in Atlantic City
Yonkers, New York
“fun in AC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Don't know about cost as this was a gift.Pleasant hotel right off the boardwalk,neas the Tropicana. Room was very clean,beds very comfortable. Shower was warm with little force on the 14th floor. Their included breakfast was very good with lots of options. Love my massage in the spa with Theresa. Front desk folk very helpful. My only complaint was with the elevators;one seemed to be out & the other two moved very slowly. I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: we had a "BAY VIEW" room. FAR off you can see the bay, past many streets & roof tops,t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

1,460 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Bordentown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed a night at the Chelsea while in Atlantic City. Nothing special about it but a inexpensive alternative to the tiger priced casino hotels. On the far end of the boardwalk ... but not that far from anything. Plain rooms, an ok staff ... but ok for a night or two for certain.

Only problem we had was a wake up call from the garage that they couldn't move my car because they couldn't find my car keys ... oy ... I didn't have them. When I checked out the car was there with the keys ... so just a little annoying glitch. No big deal.

I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: spend the extra $20 and get a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I used a Travelzoo voucher for my stay here last weekend - asked a friend about it and she made a grimacing face. She said that she hadn't stayed there in a while, but from what she remembers, it wasn't a great experience. I'm not a big gambler, and the hotel was located right by the boardwalk, so I was willing to see what it was all about.

I prepared myself for the worst, but what I got was a great experience. The rooms were clean and beautifully designed. It was very comfortable and the staff was extremely professional and friendly, much warmer than what I had experienced in the past. Housekeeping was friendly and diligent. Overall it was a great experience and one that I would be happy to have again.

Truth be told, some general renovations need to be done, but are hardly noticeable when you appreciate everything that the hotel has to offer. It's a beautiful space and definitely worth the stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Bought a Groupon deal for this hotel - $99 for an Ocean view, King room. Had a great stay here, the hotel staff was very pleasant. We were able to check-in at 2pm which was great (regular check-in time is 4pm). Our room was very nice and clean. Bed was very comfortable. The view of the ocean was great. Overall, had a very good experience here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The rooms at the Chelsea are substantially nicer than the Annex - it's worth the price difference. Customer Service at the Chelsea was excellent - we were upgraded to nicer rooms when the AC was broken in our original room. I'd stay here again

Room Tip: Don't stay in the rooms right off the elevator - drunk guests at the wee hours can be quite nois...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I booked this Hotel after looking at all the photos and thought this is a nice Hotel for the price. The photos must have been taken years ago. This property is in need of serious renovation and repair. I booked the room and was originally going to stay in the Annex. Upon arrival I walked through the lobby and thought to myself that this was an older property and looks like they updated it by adding funky furniture and a few new finishes. At check in the staff couldn't have been nicer. We got the keys to my room and proceeded to the Annex. As we rode up the Rickety Elevator I was already not impressed. We got off the elevator and walked down the hall dimly lit by Red Neon signs and can lights in the ceiling. It was like a scene from a horror movie or a house of sin filled with seedy creatures and prostitutes. When I unlocked the room and entered It immediately smelled like a Sweat Sock. Gross. I told my friend that we are not staying in this room. So we went back down to the front desk. I told the agent that we could not stay in that room. He was nice and I could tell by the look on his face he knew when we had just experienced. So he changed our room to the regular part of the hotel for a $50 upgrade fee. I asked him what was this hotel before it was the Chelsea. He said it was a Holiday Inn and the Annex was a Howard Johnson. OHhh Nice. So we got our keys and went to the new room. Not that impressive. It was better though. Upon entering this room it smelled better, but noticed the lamp shade was broken and the curtin was torn. A pair of ladies black underwear was found in the bathroom. Wall paper coming off the wall. Worn out and tired furniture. etc. So we explored the hotel a bit. The pool area on level 5 was ok. Cool space but the pool was dirty. The cement walk way and patio area showed remnants of chewing gum all over the place, now blackened and fused with the cement. Clearly needs hours/ days of power washing. The owners of this hotel have a lot of work to do to bring this property up to a 4 Star level hotel. The Restaurant TEPLITZKY'S was quite good and the staff were real nice. Here's my Hotel rating system. I seem to think that some folks don't understand the rating system. I have stayed in really nice hotels and some not so nice and down right dirty. There is no way this place was ever a 4 Star Hotel. This place even after its renovation (15 years ago) at its best was never even close to a 3 Star. Also I believe the Valet's damaged my car. They scaped the drivers side mirror against something white. I think painted white cinder block which is the garage.

1 Star - Total [---] Hole
1.5 Star - Breeding ground for Hookers
2 Star - Roadside Inn, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn
3 Star - Hilton, Marriott, Hampton Inn
4 Star - Kimpton, W Hotels, Etc ( Some Hillton and Marriott properties).
5 Star - Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental

Room Tip: Spend the $400 - $500 and stay at the Borgata.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start . Okay maybe with the first room we were in. There a two sides to the Chelsea, to describe it better one side is like motel 6 the other side is like a regular hotel . So when we arrived we checked in everything was fine we got our keys first floor , we get to the room and open the door and we were shocked . I literally
Thought I was staying in a motel . The plastic chairs in the room looked like my nieces from her play set especially the one on the balcony . Dirty dirty dirty . Stains everywhere hair everywhere . Just somewhere I did not feel comfortable staying in. By the way I work in a hotel so I know how things should be handled and how they shouldn't . So I call the front desk and someone picks up and I ask them if there's another room we can upgrade to on the other side ( the lux side ) and the woman I speak to tells me no we nothing avaliable and hangs up . So my cousin looks online and finds a room on the lux side online . so she calls back down and explains you just told us there was nothing available and there is and she simply says if you see it online book it but then you will have 2 reservations. Are you kidding me ? So that pissed me off so we get transferred and the guy books us the room and cancels our other reservation , then we go downstairs to check out and get new keys and I tell the girl at the front I feel that it was wrong that I ask if you have any rooms and you tell me no meanwhile I look online and you do and she just continues typing gives us new keys and says enjoy your stay. Your Joking right ? No apology no sympathy no is there anything I can do for you? Ridiculous . I couldn't believe it so when I got to the room I called to speak to a manager I wish I remember his name but he was the only one who was apologetic , sympathetic , and actually made it seem like he cared which when working in the hotel industry you should be . So that front desk agent will be the reason I wouldn't go back . The bellman was nice as well saved us money by telling us it was quicker to walk then take a cab to where we want to go .

• Stayed September 2013

Been to The Chelsea? Share your experiences!