“Cool concept, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Jena, Germany
“Cool concept, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Positives: The feel of the hotel lobby, common areas, and room were ultra cool. Valet for $10 was a great feature. Location was pretty good, right near the Trop and close to the boardwalk. Our room had an ocean view, which was great. Room was clean, large open shower, and overall nice set-up.

Negatives: Check-in took a long time before back-up assistance stepped in. The hallways to the room were in much need of a new carpet. Many nicks and scratches in doors and furniture, def needs some TLC. The steakhouse restaurant wasn't open as advertised and they opened a night club the night we stayed. The music was so loud for us in our room, and no one was at the club's outdoor pool to hear it (pool was outside our window a few floors down), we called the front desk and they said they couldn't do volume control. Offered to move us, but it was late and we were in already unpacked and in bed. You can hear your neighbors easily. We downloaded a white noise machine to try and block it out. I wouldn't consider it a 4 star.

Room Tip: If you want some sleep and stay on the weekend, might want to ask for a room away from the club.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel could be great but is far from it.
I'll start with some of the positives. The rooms were pretty clean, spacious and modern. The food is good. The convenience of a diner, restaurant, night club, pool and spa all in one location is really nice. This could be and should be a place that caters to couples and young professionals.
The bad... poor service. Overall I found all the staff to be very under-trained and even quite incapable at times. There seemed to be no managers overseeing anything. Yeah most of the staff was friendly but not as friendly, helpful or knowledgeable as they should be in the hospitality industry. I used to work in the industry so I know how easy it is to properly train your staff. I got the feeling it was everyones' first day on the job. Some examples: I purchased a package deal that included some perks and passes. When I checked-in I had to ask about everyone of them multiple times to get a straight answer. Also when I checked in, my room keys did not work, when I had to come back down the person at the front desk did not ever apologize for the inconvenience. At the pool my fiance and I ordered the same drinks all weekend, vodka and lemonade. For $12 a pop, you'd think the bartenders could actually make the drink consistently the same way...nope. Each bartender made it completely different and some quite frankly tasted awefull. How do you mess up a vodka leamonade? Also at the pool, there where a number of employees standing around doing nothing, which is fine by me if the place is in tip top shape but it was not. the pool area was dirty, the floor needed a powerwashing in the worst way and the bathrooms were dark, disgusting, smelly and without any paper products. This is maddening when you see five employees just standing around and talking for hours. Is it that hard to have a clean pool area and clean bathroom??At diner on the 5th floor our waitress was completely untrained. I ordered a steak and she started to walk away when I had to stop her to tell her how I wanted it done. Serving 101? Also she was not very helpful with the menu or with suggestions and when we asked for more bread it took 10 mins for her to come back with two tiny slices. Overall she was not very friendly or helpful and again there was no manager in sight. For $125 diner I expect some quality level of service. Gosh I get better service form the Ihop. Lastly we arranged for a late check-out (which we had to pay for) We were trying to catch up on some sleep before we left but were interrupted by the cleaning staff over and over. The do not disturb sign was on the door and I continually told the cleaner that we were not checking out til 4pm. Yet multiple times we were disturbed by knocks at the door.
The Chelsea could be a gem but right now it is a not. The service needs a total upgrade and the staff needs to be properly trained in the art of customer service.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I booked a room hesitantly due to the mixed reviews. We checked in early with no problem, the front desk was nice, the valet was nice, pretty much any staff member we came across was nice. The 5th floor offers a nice restaurant and bar. And the pool is small, but for an 8 year old, was perfect. The location was great, and the beach behind the property was nice. Parking is valet only, but for $15.00, you can't beat that. The restaurant on the 1st floor was good. Overall, this is a decent hotel on the boardwalk that is in need of updates. We booked through priceline, and if you can get a good price, it's worth the stay.

Ventnor City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We found parking on the street, which was nice,compared to a casino garage. Walked into the Chelsea Hotel, took elevator to the fifth floor,only to be greeted by a young lady to show us the way to the dining area. We arrived a lil' early so we sat at the bar and enjoyed a drink with a very knowledgable bartender who was training new hires due to the "soft" opening. We then were seated in a half moon booth that had a lovely view of the beach and ocean. Our waitress, Megan, couldnt do enough to make us welcome and comfortable. My spouse had a new york strip steak that was good, I had a filet that had a small amount of goat cheese in between where it was sliced,what a wild and delicious flavor. Yes, we will return. Before we were leaving the manager, Stephanie stopped by to check on us,which as a patron I like,because it shows that the establishment cares,and wants to know yah or nah and what they can do to make your experience better. Well, we were very content. Thank you Chelsea,you've done good as they say.

Dear tld426,

Thank you for your kind words and our first review of the new

“Restaurant on the Fifth at the Chelsea”

We love great reviews and our staff will be pleased to see their names here on TripAdvisor. We appreciated that you noticed our dedication and enjoyed the delicious presentation by our chef and charming staff. We couldn’t agree with you more about the view; it’s truly memorizing.

Tld426, now that you found us, please stop by and see us again real soon. There’s always something new and exciting to enjoy here at the Chelsea and now on the Fifth! We're open Friday and Saturday's from 5pm to 10pm.

All the best,
Jersey City, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My friend and I just got back from my 4 night stay at The Chelsea and we were quite unhappy with the hotel. We checked in on Sunday night and were hoping for a meal at their lobby restaurant, Teplitzsky's. We went down around 8:30 PM only to find it closed; however, the website, along with a print-out received at check-in stated it would be open until 10 and bar service until 11. Upon inquiring at the front desk, we received an apology and a menu for a local pizzeria; not exactly what we had in mind for our first night in AC.

Since there was good weather on Tuesday, we wanted to spend the day at the “rooftop pool.” Don’t be fooled, the pool is on the fifth floor, not above the penthouse. We got there around 9:30 AM, only to find the main gates locked. Confused, we went to the front desk. The employee tried to push us off to the Annex pool, not caring that we wanted to use the fifth floor pool. She was unhelpful and took a personal phone call in the midst of “helping” us. Although stating the pools opened at 8 AM, she refused to believe the gates were locked and was reluctant to reach out to engineering or security to get the gates unlocked. An engineer was passing by in the lobby and told us how to “sneak” in to the pool, as if that how guests should be treated. We obliged and snuck into the pool. Additional hotel employees came through around 10:30 AM to unlock the gates for proper entry/re-entry. Meanwhile, we had to find the complimentary towels ourselves and make due.

Additionally, the “food and cocktail service” poolside from 1 PM to 5 PM isn’t accurate either. Cocktail service ended around 3 PM and food wasn’t even available; not that we wanted that, but other guests had to run down to Teplitzky’s before it closed at 2 PM for food. And they were on their own for cocktails.

We were mislead by the services and amenities listed on the website, when, in reality, they are based on occupancy: an excuse we didn’t receive until we checked out.

As for the room (King Bay View): Smelled moldy & musty: actually had mold on the ceiling; the wallpaper was peeling & dirty; the drapes looked like they had been clawed at by a cat; the carpet constantly felt damp; A/C unit is loud; terrible water pressure (very low) from "rainfall" shower head.

Room Tip: King Bay View Room: Smelled moldy & musty: actually had mold on the ceiling; the wallpaper was p...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Gabriele283,

Thank you for your first time review of our property and for being our guest. We would very much like to speak with you further so that we may verify and correct the issues you noted in the guestroom. Our sincere apologies for the inconsistency in hours on our website and at the hotel. This is being addressed; however we are very sorry this affected your stay.

Feedback is important to us, as it helps us improve. Please message us through TripAdvisor Messenger, so that we may secure your room number and speak with your directly.

Kind regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had the wonderful opportunity to stay at The Chelsea for a few years now and I have to say that every time I go there my experience is amazing. I go to relax from the fast pace of NYC. I love how much I enjoy myself while I'm there. I always sleep like a baby. The service is great. One of the managers there (Dana) always goes an extra mile to please you and make sure you have the most amazing time the while you're there. Thanks Dana for all the time that I have been there and you help me relax and enjoy myself to the fullest. Sincerely, Madeleine Valentine

• Stayed May 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Overall everything was great including the service at the front desk, room service, the maid service, and the restaurant employees. The room was clean and the food was tasty. Also, the valet parking was smooth. My only complaint involves the volume of the music outside by the pool in and out of the cabanas (and a little bit at night time); I am 29 years old and it was too loud for me! The water in the hot tubs could've been warmer as well. Otherwise, it was a great trip and I would go back again.

Dear Mark G,

FIVE STARS! WOW!

Thank for taking the time to review us here on TripAdvisor and for the high marks. We appreciate the feedback and have lowered the volume and raised the temperature, now come on back and enjoy! We love repeat guests!

All the best,
The Chelsea Management Team

Been to The Chelsea? Share your experiences!