“Great for a Bachelorette weekend!” 4 of 5 stars

The Chelsea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 South Chelsea Ave, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
“Great for a Bachelorette weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Make sure you stay in the Chelsea and not the annex side which is very outdated. Location is good right next to the Trop and was an easy walk over there. Valet parking only but Sammy will definitely take care of your car and help with luggage. He was amazing. Valet did lose my car once but they were extremely apologetic and I have all the patience in the world so it was no big deal to me. Had a nice big room which was clean with no issues but we didn't spend much time in the room. All in all it’s a typical hotel in AC just like all the rest. We did stop at the Sea Spa and I would recommend a massage and facial don't waste time on the manicure they are HORRIBLE at that and have no cute colors. We did eat at Teplitzky's it was quick and convenient I wasn't really impressed with the food but if you need to cure a hangover before you leave it's right in the hotel and serves the purpose before you get on the road.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Forgetmelast,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Chelsea here on TripAdvisor. We couldn’t agree with you more about our location being so close to the Tropicana and about Sammy. Sammy is one of our finest, a true Chelsea ambassador. Forgetmelast, we’ll work on new colors for our Sea Spa manicures, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please message us your name through TripAdvisor messenger so that we can speak with you directly about your manicure experience.
We hope to have the pleasure of your company again when your travels bring you back to Atlantic City, summer and the warmth of the sun will be here before you know it.

Warmest regards,
The Chelsea Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was a little hesitant with booking at the Chelsea due to some of the reviews and pictures but there were also a lot of positive reviews so thought I'd give it a try to get my own opinion.

To start, I ended up booking directly at their website since I figured it would cause less hassle, but I was wrong. I initially booked the "Just the Two of Us" package which included a dinner voucher and two passes to The Solarium, after booking, I found out that both their fine dining restaurant and The Solarium (actually the entire 5th floor) were closed!

I called to change my reservation, and perhaps cancel due to this and gave the hotel a call to change my mind; the response I received was that since I booked online, I had to make any modifications or cancellations there and they couldn't help me. The closed amenities mixed with the lack of customer service prompted me to immediately cancel my reservation and star looking elsewhere; however, I did not feel like spending the weekend at a casino and soon found that there weren't any other great options in town so I decided to pick a different package and move on.

I browsed the site a little more and saw they had a BOGO (buy a room and get a second night for $50 special), of course, this didn't apply to my room apparently because looking at the price breakdown I have a line item for "BOGO (buy 1 night receive 2nd night for $50) ----- $90"? I knew the annex rooms were cheaper but I was enjoying my weekend and didn't want to get heated with their staff that already upset me from a customer service standpoint before my stay and did nothing to impress me more than I would expect from the Quality Inn across the street.

The clientele at the hotel was much younger than I expected as well. I am fairly young myself, but being a 30 year old top level executive at a 25 million dollar/ year company made me feel out of place with drones of college age kids that were drunk or high the whole time. The couple in front of me in line wreaked of marijuana as did the hallway outside of our room. When I mentioned the smell and environment to the concierge he just laughed it off, though, this was also the same man that referred me to a seedy grocery store around the corner for a bottle of Aquanet when I asked where my fiance could pick up a bottle of hairspray nearby.

Like all of the reviews indicate, the rooms are nicely decorated, but they are a bit beat up. Our room had a crack in the full length mirror, some laminate missing from the side of the bathroom vanity, uneven tiles in the shower, missing floor molding on one of the corners, scuff/dings/etc, on just about everything. The carpet was not vacuumed well before our stay, the shower was nice, but the ventilation in the room was horrible, making the room quite stuffy and fogging mirrors and windows all over the room. he wall near the window on the other side of the room even became wet with condensation.

You're basically forced to use valet at the hotel, I'm not sure what the price is but they said they would add it to my bill. I generally try to stay away from using valet because I do have a rather large, high-power SUV with a lot of buttons that most valet attendants have issues with (all four times I picked up my car from valet at the hotel, my driver side parking lights were turned on, and I had to show the one driver how to put my car in park).

Overall, while I was there at least, the experience wasn't that horrible, a lot of little details that could easily be fixed by better customer service and maintenance. Nothing to write home about. This, though, is the first time I am actually reviewing a hotel on Trip Advisor so I must say, I do have a reason. In fact, I specifically signed up just to review this hotel after dwelling on my three hour ride home with the lack luster service and then I find that one of the valet attendants left a blue pen streak on the right side of my driver's seat (I never carry a pen on me, have not owned a blue pen since college, and am left handed and keep nothing put my car keys on my right side). I didn't notice this until I was just getting off the highway so I pulled over to inspect the rest of my car to find a few stress cracks in the clear coat on the top of my bumper. I immediately called the hotel and received the wonderful service again where the front desk clerk just told me that the security manager in charge of valet was not in and I would have to call back.

Hopefully things will get better on the service end of things once I actually speak to someone of "authority" at the hotel... or perhaps they just pre-authorized my card for $912.06 for my $377 stay so they could afford to have my car detailed and bumper painted.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear pjevin,

First, our sincerest apologies. We are extremely disappointed to read your review. Please contact our management team via our website or here via TripAdvisor messenger, so that we may address your concerns immediately.
Thank you.
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at the Chelsea the weekend of March 1, because there were limited rooms available at the boardwalk casino/hotels. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the easy check-in, spacious room and location. The king room featured a nicely upgraded bathroom, refrigerator/minibar and pillow-top mattress. The room cost about half of what was available at the surrounding casinos and we didn't have to contend with the annoying crowds and long lines. Although not luxury accommodations, I would highly recommend giving the Chelsea a try if you are looking for a centrally located boardwalk hotel in Atlantic City. Also, give the hotel bar a try for a wonderful martini.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear 1FlyersFan,

We are certainly proud of our location and for being a smoke-free property. We’re pleased to read that you enjoyed the king guestroom in the Luxe tower. We agree our bathrooms are an upgrade from what you find at your typical casino. During the summer months, our location is even more of a premium as we have direct beach access. Chelsea hotel guests enjoy complimentary chairs, umbrellas and towels just steps from the hotel. We are pleased to be the only hotel property which serves food (by Teplitzky’s) chairside on the beach. How nice is that? In addition, we have beach cabanas to rent for those looking for a more private enclosure. 1FlyersFan, thanks for recommending us here on TripAdvisor, we hope to see you at the Chelsea again and of course with a martini!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Atlantic City is by no means my favorite seaside destination, but we had tickets for a show at the House of Blues and I wanted to stay somewhere other than a casino hotel. I was captivated by the ads and pictures and encouraged by the reviews that I read for The Chelsea, so we booked a room for one night in early January.

Parking: Valet is the only option on the property, but was reasonably priced.

Check-in: Begins at 3:00 PM and the line was long. We arrived around 3:45 and waited in line for approximately 15-20 minutes. There were only two people working the front desk and the check-ins for both the Annex and the main hotel are handled in one location.

Room: Stylish, fun, roomy, and clean. The bed was comfy, the linens were clean. We had a room with a partial ocean view, which meant our room was on an end corner and we had a small window that faced eastward.

Extras: The in room snack bar are over-priced and there were no vending machines on the property, so come prepared with snacks to nibble on to keep your stay budget friendly.

Location: This hotel is removed from most of the casino hub-bub and we were looking for that, but sections of the boardwalk between this hotel and some of the attractions closer to Caesars and the like are desolate, especially during the winter. We didn't mind the walk in the early evening, but we chose to catch a cab back from the concert at the House of Blues at the end of the night.

What would have made my stay better:
I would have preferred an earlier check-in time and a late check-out on Sunday morning.
Snack machines in place of the pricey in room snack bar for late night nibbles. The concierge pointed us to a convenience market down the street from this location, but after midnight it was a bit sketchy even for city kids.
Two of the lamps in our room did not work/bulbs were burnt out - I reported this at checkout, but it would be nice if these things were checked when the room was being cleaned between guests.

Would I recommend this place/stay there again? Yes, but I would certainly look to stay closer to House of Blues if in town for another show at that location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear SimplyBeth,

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. For other readers, we do want them to understand regular check-in time is 4pm. Of course, if we have the rooms in your category available prior to 4pm, we are more than happy to jumpstart your getaway and get you settled in your guestroom early. SimplyBeth, we are pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the room clean and comfy. Come back and visit us again in the warmer season and you will be very delighted with our Boardwalk location. Next time request a later checkout on Sunday, when not sold-out, we are more than happy to accommodate. Thank you for your patronage, we hope you to see you again.

The Chelsea Management team
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I cannot stand casinos. Why do I go to AC every year? Work. That said, if you want a place to stay that gets you out of AC without actually leaving, this is the place. The rooms are nice, comfortable, and clean. The hotel is a classic. The restaurants and bars are beyond pleasant. I'm not into clubbing, but this does have a pretty nice night club, as well. Stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear LHEAP,

Wow! As a senior reviewer here on TripAdvisor, we appreciate the compliments! We look forward to seeing you again real soon. Please message us your name through TripAdvisor and we’ll be sure to show you the love on your next stay with us. LHEAP, we love repeat guests!

Mertztown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Booked this hotel for one night to see a concern in AC. It was well worth it. My husband and I thought the room (King single) was spacious. It was clean and well-appointed. Loved the mirrow in the bathroom. I wish we could have stayed longer to take advantage of the spa options. We visited in February so the pool and club were closed for the season. We will probably come back for a mid-summer weekend to take advantage of that! Lovely place with a vintage vibe!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear katestyle,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Chelsea. We look forward to sharing it with our housekeeping and design teams. We are pleased to see quality was evident when you joined us. Please come back and visit us in the warmer months, our Sea Spa and beach services await you.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed with my boyfriend, brother, sis in law and our other couple friend for my sister in law's 30th birthday. It's right across the tropicana, literally at walking distance. The hotel itself was really cute chic and modern, check in went smoothly we had a real nice front desk attendant. The rooms were spacious and modern with all the necessities including a PRICEY mini bar which included a $7 bottle of Fiji water!! My only complaint would be at checkout on Sunday before 12 we waited almost an hour for elevators since they were PACKED. And one was out if service. We didn't get charged a late check out fee which was great. We did get a deal for breakfast which was cool their restaurant was delicious.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Demi A,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We are happy to hear about your favorable impressions of the Chelsea. Please pass on Happy Belated Birthday Wishes to the birthday girl and thank you for celebrating with us!

The Chelsea Management Team

Been to The Chelsea? Share your experiences!