“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York City, New York
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Chelsea has the potential to be a fantastic option for non-casino stays in A/C, but they just don't pay any attention to the details that really make a difference! Let's see....I booked the Luxe mainly because we wanted to use the Ipod player. Well, room #1 the player didn't work and room #2 it didn't work either. We were told the engineer would be "right up"....we stayed 2 nights and never had a knock on the door. Why did we have 2 rooms? Because the window in room #1 didn't seal and we had the artic winter air blowing in. I must give the high props for how quickly they moved us though! (I wish I had the name of the girl at the front desk...she was the best employee by far!) Now...on to the spa. We also chose this hotel for their solarium (suana, steam room, jacuzzi, hot stone lounge area). So you can imagine the disappointment when we found that out of all 4 of these luxuries only 1 (the sauna) worked. To make matters worse, when I went to inquire about the steam room not being on the girl at the front desk at the spa just kept claiming it was. When I explained it was only 63 degrees and there was no steam she just told me to keep trying. When I asked if she would come take a look, she refused. Now...onto the room service carts that sit outside in the hallways ALL day waiting to be picked up. The room a few doors down had their room service table outside at 9am when I first went out for coffee.......it was still there when we came home at 1am the next morning. There were other tables on the floor too. That's just gross.

I hate staying in casinos so I had really high hopes for this place, but it didn't live up. It's only silly little things that make this place average (or even below in some cases). It doesn't make sense...there was a TON of staff wandering around with nothing to do. Seems like they just need better management to become a stellar place to stay.

All in all, it's really cute and I will give it the benefit of the doubt and try it again if I can get a good rate..but I certainly can't recommend to anyone based on the experience I had.

ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear jaylexnyc,

My sincere apologies for issues you experienced, please allow me to respond to your review.

1. We recently purchased a 6 replacement IPod docking stations, however the new “I Homes” require you to use the white cable attached and not the docking station itself. We were surprised by this feature as it defeats the purpose of having the docking station. We have plans to phase out these new units. In the mean time I have spoken to our staff so that they are able to advise guests to use the cable without the inconvenience of sending an engineer to the room. Our goal is for you to enjoy this unit and not be frustrated by it. We are very sorry it contributed to you not enjoying your stay with us.
2. Window seal, please message me thru TA your room number as I would like to address this immediately. This is a very rare occurrence.
3. Sea Spa amenities: The sauna, hot stone lounge area and steam were all working during your visit. The Jacuzzi however was down for repair and the thermostat you are referring to belongs to the Jacuzzi, not the steam room. The Jacuzzi temperature was 63 degrees, hence the reason we were unable to offer you this enjoyable amenity. The steam room is on an auto cycle and once it reaches its peak maximum for steam it will stop creating new steam for a few minutes. It is not “off”, just waiting to cycle back on. Too much steam is not healthy. Our staff is very well trained, no guest would be told to “try for more steam”
4. There is no excuse for the room service cart being left in the hallway, this has been addressed.

My sincere apologies that you felt we weren’t paying attention to the property during your stay. I can assure you we take guest comments very seriously and we strive to improve every day. We wish you would have given us the opportunity to address outside of TA, too often we don’t hear of a guest complaint until we read about it on the web.

Lastly, Jaylexnyc we are pleased you gave our front desk high marks for a speedy check in. We hope you will give us another try when visiting Atlantic City, we are confident we can Win You Back!

The Chelsea Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
South Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Chelsea was a very nice hotel to stay at. We used a Groupon for the room and got an outstanding deal! The hotel even includes valet parking. It is located right next to the Tropicana which makes it an ideal location. There is absolutely no need to pay all of that money to stay in a casino when you can just walk next door to them! Although the brown wallpaper in the hallway could have used some updating, the decor of the room was awesome! The bed was so large and comfortable! I highly recommend staying at the Chelsea. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear ERJ21,

Thank you for the recommending us here on TripAdvisor. We’re so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comments about our room décor and the beds. We can’t hear it enough that our beds are large and comfy – it sure does make waking up hard! We look forward to seeing you at the Chelsea again real soon.

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband reserved a room in the Chelsea Hotel via Priceline.com. He said it was a four-star hotel. Actually, the Chelsea is a smaller, older property, tucked in between larger building. The location is good (right on the boardwalk, next to the Tropicana casino) and it might be a great place to stay in warmer weather. We were there in late December, when it was windy and overcast. They gave us a room in the tower, on the 18th floor. When we arrived, the lobby was crowded and there were two harried clerks trying to serve all the folks who were waiting in line. They were very pleasant despite the crowd.
Our room was adequate. The room lighting is a bit dim, and that contributes somewhat to a less than welcoming ambience. There is no in-room coffee. I checked the room service menu, and it appears they want guests to pay $8 for a pot of coffee to be brought up. We hoped to find a vending machine, so we called downstairs but were told there were no vending machines anywhere in the hotel (they apparently want you to use the minibar). There also is no wifi, either free or otherwise.
I saw other folks in line at the desk with Groupon and Living Social vouchers. My husband paid $59 on Priceline, which definitely was a good deal. However, if one paid more like $99 for a room, the accommodations might be a disappointment. So you get what you pay for here, and as long as you have not overpaid, the tower rooms are OK. We did have a view that was half of the water and half of the city, with nice lights at night.

ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear FMC Maryland,

We appreciate hearing your feedback as this is necessary to provide our guests with the experience that they expect. Four star ratings are based on hotel amenities which can include: a Concierge, Fitness Room, Full Service Spa, one and sometimes two restaurants, high quality linens, one or more pools, and meeting rooms, ballrooms, room service, a gym, minibar amenities and valet parking and a business center with printing capabilities, etc. The Chelsea meets and exceeds these standards. In addition during the high-season we have full service food and beverage at both of our pools and on our beach. Our beach service offers umbrellas, towels and chairs for our guests.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to about a smaller older building tucked in between a larger building. If you look at the Chelsea on Google Maps, you will see we take up practically the entire block from steps to the Boardwalk all the way to Pacific Avenue. The Luxe Tower spans the entire width of Chelsea Avenue to Morris Avenue with nothing but our beautiful property in-between. Regarding the number of front desk agents, we staff according to the number of arrivals. We cannot however determine what time guests will arrive, but we do our best to staff according to what we feel are peak times. I’m pleased you found our staff pleasant during a short rush of arrivals. They are pro’s and very efficient at checking-in quests quickly.

The Chelsea does not advertise in-room coffee machines. A pot of coffee which services six cups is available via our In Room Dining, it is delivered to your room on a lovely linen covered table for $8.00; a bargain I would say for a four-star hotel. In lieu of vending machines we have well stocked mini-bars with bottled water, sodas, and spirits for those over 21 years of age and fun snacks to enjoy. You will find our minibar pricing to be very fair.

You are Incorrect about our Wi-Fi. We DO indeed have Wi-Fi and it is FREE of charge. Please compare to other four-star hotels in Atlantic City and you will find most charge a significant fee to use their Wi-Fi.

I’m sorry you were disappointed in your stay despite having paid such a low rate and as you said the view was nice.
All the best,
Hamilton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed here on a Friday using a Living Social coupon. Paid $89 for an Annex room but was given a room in the Tower .. plus $15 meal coupon in their coffee shop. Staff was very friendly but only one person at checkin and checkout. There can be a wait. Even had out door heated swimming pool. Not to useful on our trip. With a second pool (salt water) on the 5th floor this is probably one of best places to stay in the summer for a pool (after the Revel if you can afford that) and only a few steps to the ocean. Most of the place in the winter seem closed up. Parking is $10 on Friday. You might be able to park at the Atlantic Club next store or even the Trop for free if you have a card.
We would probably try it again if we can get a deal.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are the best. Annex is a motel.
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear TCNJ,

Thank you reviewing us here on TripAdvisor. I’m please you found our hotel on Living Social. Glad to read our availability permitted an upgrade to the Luxe Tower; this is unusual and I wouldn’t want others to be disappointed if they purchased the Annex and hoped to be upgraded to the Luxe. Regarding the staffing at the front desk; we staff according to the number of arrivals. We do our best to staff for what we feel are peak arrival times; however we are unable to predict when guests will actually arrive. We appreciate that you understood this; we have a great staff, thank you for commenting on how friendly the agent was during the short wait. Our heated year-round saltwater pool is located on the first floor adjacent to Teplitzky’s patio dining and our Sea Spa. It’s a crazy-fun environment when guests swim during a snowfall, you have to see it-or do it! Our fine dining restaurant Chelsea Prime is closed for renovations, look for its reopening come springtime. Teplitzky’s is open Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and we have our lobby bar as well. Valet parking is indeed a bargain at $10.00 nightly during the off season. The Atlantic Club is four blocks south of the Chelsea and they do charge a fee on weekends if not staying at their hotel.

TCNJ, we do hope to see you again at the Chelsea, next time bring your bathing suits and take a warm dip during a snowfall, you’ll never forget the fun you had at the Chelsea!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Chelsea Hotel is the perfect option to stay in AC, if you want to be away and just go into the casinos and leave, even though there is no Casino in the hotel the rooms are large and extremely comfortable the amenities are top notch, beds are extremely plush and comfy, the bathroom features a large shower with the shower handle in the opposite side of shower big plus as you can adjust the water to your likings before getting in, just two blocks from Tropicana and with the Jitney stop righ at the corner most of the rooms feature water view. Loved this hotel and it seems to be the choice of many, as the front desk line when I checked in was really long. It has a real nice spa in the lobby and a nice casual diner, the staff is real friendly, definitely a one to try when visiting AC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear dreyes1047,

You ROCK! As a Senior Contributor here on TripAdvisor, we appreciate the 5 star review!
So happy to read you were extremely satisfied with your stay with us, nothing makes us prouder. Thanks for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to seeing more of you. Happy New Year!

All the best,
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Was here for Christmas shopping and a little gambling next door at the Tropicana. Stayed in the Luxe tower, 17th floor corner room. Nice ocean view with smaller window, north and ocean view out larger window. Room was larger than expected, had one king bed, desk, large flat screen tv, iPod player, cool cheetah? Chair and ottoman. Room was very clean (I really looked hard) and
Stylish. We shopped the outlets, the Quarter next door at the Tropicana and gambled at little. The hotel has great lobby spaces, a nice spa, heated outdoor saltwater pool (we did not use)...brrr it was December. All were inviting. We drank at the lobby bar, nice. Ate b'fast in Tepliskys-white egg omelet and challah French toast, Awesome. Nothing at all to complain about. I Recommend for sure. I'm going back, just tell me where to buy that chair set!

Room Tip: Luxe tower worth the extra bucks!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Marisa H,

Wow! Thank you for the great review here on TA! We’re so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The Luxe tower corner king rooms are just a little larger, which more than makes up for the smaller window facing the ocean. The animal print chair, was manufactured just for us (yes, we’re that special  ). I see you purchased the Chelsea’s shopping package – Ready, Set, Shop! This is a great deal! The Walk outlets are continually expanding; hope you visited IT’SUGAR for a treat at the Pier shops too. The Tropicana’s Quarter is a convenient experience because we’re right next door - shopping, an IMAX movie theater and gambling, perfect for a winter getaway. Marisa H, we understand you have many choices when visiting Atlantic City, we’re so glad you chose the Chelsea! We look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed there with my fiancee for a night during a concert what was at the Borgata.

We stayed in the main building. The front desk was very helpful. It was close to a Jitney stop and right off the boardwalk.

Best of all, the prices were very reasonable, the restaurant near the Annex had good food too.

I would have given it a 5 star room, if not for the cold rooms (the Hotel AC seem to work in overdrive, one of the bathroom towels were dirty, and the 5th floor with the more upscale restaurant was closed due to a wedding being scheduled, the front desk did not tell us this and it was quite embarrassing walking into somebody's wedding reception asking for a table).

I stayed at the Tropicana (next door) and had similar issues with the Hotel AC, and the hotel linens...and payed about 50 bucks more a night...

As for the decor itself, it's very 1970's motel on the upper floors, but the rooms are comfy and the sheets were nice.

Go to the diner downstairs, even if you don't stay at the hotel. Crab Eggs Benedict for 12 bucks! that taste good! That's a reason for a revisit alone...

Room Tip: Make sure that the front desk makes you aware of any events. Try to make sure you are on a floor wi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Jeanien P,

Thank you for your review; your comments about our style are appreciated. Our designers worked hard to create a unique and luxurious experience different from what you find at casinos and flag hotels in Atlantic City. We’re glad you noticed! We are sorry our front desk failed to notify you of the wedding reception on the Fifth, we’ll also make sure the proper signage is in place to prevent others from having the same experience. We’ve read a few comments on TA about linens and you can be assured we’re On It with our professional linen service, we have strict standards in housekeeping and there is nothing worse than a washed but stained towel to give the impression of a dirty linen. Our diner style restaurant Teplitzky’s cooks up a wicked-good crab Benny, it’s a great dish and yes, excellent value – thanks for recommending here on TA!

Jeanien, thank you for your review, we hope to see in at the Chelsea real soon. Give us a heads-up thru TA next time and we’ll show you the love!

Warm regards,
The Chelsea Management Team

Been to The Chelsea? Share your experiences!