“Don't look too close” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
New Jersey
“Don't look too close”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Well we gave this place two tries. After a disastrous first stay (we found a, ummmm, personal item in our bed between the sheets) that could not be refunded because we booked on an internet site we were given a comp night to come back again. 3 years later we returned. We were greeted with a lovely "we will try to get it right for you this time!" Champagne in our room on ice and a nice note from the management. First thing I did was pull back the blankets to find-surprise! A big old crusty spot on my flat sheet. Immediately called the front desk and asked for a new sheet. I tried to tell them what was wrong but I was cut off with a "housekeeping will be right up". Honestly I could have called back and explained the situation but I was already getting a free night so what else could they do? You'd think they would have been extra careful since we have already had such a bad experience. I don't need to give them a third try. Housekeeping came up and handed me a sheet and left. After changing my own sheet I tried to just pretend that the rest of the sheets and blankets were clean. Breakfast is okay but overpriced (luckily ours was free both times we stayed).
Beyond the sheets, this is a "renovated" old hotel. Its not spotless and it certainly isn't the ritz, but its affordable and convenient and probably better than the motels across the street. I guess they are inconsistent because some people seem to love it but I wouldn't go back even for free. The front desk and management are nice but housekeeping clearly does not change the sheets on a regular basis.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear easytravels91,

Please allow me to personally apologize that you had such a challenging stay with us. We have taken all of your comments to heart and are actively working on figuring out the sheets issue with our professional linen service. Sheets are indeed cleaned, pressed, sealed and returned to our property daily. We have rigorous standards in housekeeping, everything a guest touches is cleaned and replaced for the next arriving guest. A guest should never be handed a sheet to make their own bed, my sincere apologies for this erroneous behavior by an associate. This has already been addressed and will not happen again. I would be more than happy to personally discuss this matter further as I do believe in making the situation right. Please message me thru TripAdvisor if you would like to do so.

Kind regards,
Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We bought a Groupon for this place and made it an excuse to get out to Atlantic City and have a good time. End of the day, we did have a great time but this hotel just sort of rubbed me the wrong way.

Basically it comes down to effort. The hotel itself is at a great location, walking distance to the Trop, Trump, boardwalk, beach and everything surrounding. They had complimentary parking and the employees were very nice. But the Groupon we bought was for a "Penthouse Suite" valued at $400/night. We paid $160 for it and really if I am being fair and objective it was probably worth about $49.99 a night. The room it self was spacious with a bed room, living room, large bathroom. But the couch was frayed and stained, the bedroom TV did not turn on, the faucet in the shower was broken off, there was tape on the ceiling above the bed (I think it was for a drywall patch job that they did not finish) and there were scuffs ALL over everything. The walls, the baseboards, the furniture, the window sill, everything had missing paint, scuffs, holes and dirt. The reality is that all they have to do is get a repair guy into each room and touch up the paint, add some wood putty and doctor up the bathroom faucet. But they just did not even care enough to put in that kind of average effort.

I would have loved to support this hotel, but they have to at least try for it. These repairs are not something that all we had to do was call down to get fixed, these were the result of months or maybe years of indifference. If you want to be a hotel that claims $400 rooms, make sure you at least go thru the motions.

Last point I will make is that the employees were very nice, but they were under staffed. The poor woman behind the desk had a line of 4 groups when we got there. There was no manager on site and no one else to help her out. Luckily she was on top of things and was able to appease every body (the one couple was checked into a room that had all the sheets off the bed and the tvs on like someone was staying there already). Also, the parking attendants were great and that complimentary service was appreciated.

Come on Chelsea... put in the effort or just assume the position as a boutique motel.

Dear amdubois,

Thank you for the comments; we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. I took a look at your suite and the maintenance issues you posted were on our list for touchups. Due to high demand we have been unable to access the room for the necessary time, however we are ON IT now. Would have appreciated the opportunity to address the issues outside of TripAdvisor. Your satisfaction is important to us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I loved my experience the rooms were beautiful and can't wait to go back! I stayed at the rockstar suit and there is nothing I could have asked for except for a better sound system. The room promoted it but it was just IPod speakers which was disappointing when we realized what it was.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Sel2,
Thank you very much for your kind remarks here on TripAdvisor regarding your recent Chelsea stay. You ROCK and so does the Rockstar Suite, it’s the best view in the city. Post pictures please for others to enjoy. When returning to the Chelsea please message us thru TripAdvisor and we'll show you the love!
Warmest regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Flew in to AC for business. CHELSEA is home this week. Nice place, different from others I've been to of late. Designed for high end crowd. Wife would like this place, nice and fancy, great bed. I like the big flatscreen TV and bars. Great view of beach and boardwalk. Hope to be back here again next week, all up to corporate.

• Stayed November 2012
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear flyerRBB,

Greetings from Atlantic City and thank you so much for such a wonderful review. Bring the wife; send her to Chelsea’s Sea Spa for luxury spa experience while you enjoy the large flat screen in our posh game room sipping a bourbon whiskey. Channel your inner Nucky Johnson and enjoy the good life on the Boardwalk.

Corporate, if you’re listening, send your flyer back to the Chelsea, we love repeat guests!

Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here for the night before catching an early flight out of Atlantic City Airport so my experience of the hotel is limited. We were on the higher floors and had a good view of AC.

We had the most uncomfortable nights sleep we have ever had in a hotel for several reasons. There appeared to be a party going on in the room above us all night and despite calling reception several times, the noise stops for a short while and starts again. Can I blame the hotel for this, really don't know. However the sheets in the beds were the worst i have ever slept on, we ended up taking the top sheet off because it made our body itch, maybe they didn't use any conditioner on this batch. Since we only stayed one night I didn't get a chance to find out whether we were just unlucky.

The hotel building is old but they have done their best to cover this up but this is no 4 or 5 star hotel by any standard, 3.5 probably.

Didn't stay long enough to offer a view on anything else, there is parking in front of the hotel from 7pm to 7am I think, so if you are staying to catch a flight you can park for free otherwise i think nearby car parks are about $15 a day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear aasalako,

Thank you for the review. My sincere apologies, for the noise in the room above you. We take noise complaints very seriously at the Chelsea. Our security team visited the hallway several times to investigate, but each time the room was quiet. I’m sorry we failed during your stay.

Our sheets are laundered by a professional laundry service, while I have never heard this complaint before; we’ll certainly look into this. Thank you for bringing to our attention.

The Chelsea offers valet parking only for $10.00 nightly off-season. In front of the hotel are limited metered spaces monitored by the city from 8am to 11pm year-round. Saturday night public lot fees tend to be above $10, same for the local casinos. Unfortunately free parking does not exist this close to the Boardwalk in Atlantic City. Valet parking is your safest and most economical option. In addition, we do not charge for in and out privileges.

We hope that you will give us another chance when your travels bring you back to AC. Next time skip Priceline and book thru the hotel and we’ll show you the love.

Middletown, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at The Chelsea on the night of November 24th for my husband's birthday. Got an awesome deal on Priceline.com. The hotel is reminiscent of one of the Art Deco hotels in South Beach Miami. The decor reminds me of Mid-Century Mod. Very sheek.

We were in room 1016, which is on the 10th floor, right off the elevator. The room was very spacious and the decor was simple, modern; again with that Art Deco feel. Large king bed with a white duvet (which seems to be the trend in most hotels lately). The bathroom was clean and had simple decor, but one drawback was the REALLY LOUD flushing toilet. I can understand they want the toilets powerful to flush down whatever gets thrown in there, but boy, it was loud! LOL There was an alarm clock that had an iPod docking station built in. Was able to have some nice "mood" music for the evening.

When we got to our room we put the heater on, but it wasn't blowing out warm air. Called the front desk and in less than 10 minutes, they had a really friendly maintenance guy, Ronny, up there and fixing it. It was no big deal especially since AC was recovering from hurricane Sandy. Had a nice chat with him. It really wasn't any big deal. Got to chat with Ronny while he got the unit warming up.

One other little thing I'll mention is the smoke detector blinks red when the lights are out. If you are sensitive to light (like I am) bring a sleep mask. But again, no big deal.

We had breakfast at the restaurant Teplisky's, which is part of the hotel. Great breakfast. Would have loved to had some spa treatments, but we'll go back again for that!

Overall, it was a very pleasant, yet short stay. Very friendly, accommodating staff.

A personal note: Those who have complained about this place are usually the personalities that will complain about anything & everything. When you put out positive vibes, you get positive results. And yes, there are sometimes when accommodations just do not meet up to your expectations; I get that. Just look for the positive in every situation. Just a little note.

Thank you Chelsea for a nice time!

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, ask for a room that is away from the elevator or stairs. Then you wo...
Dear ChristineJimGubitosi,

As a Contributor here on TA, we thank you very much for your generous review. We’re so glad to hear that our staff, Ronny in particular made your stay more enjoyable. He takes great pride in his job and it will be our pleasure to share your comments with him.

Christine and Jim, we’re so glad you found us and hope that you will return to stay with us again real soon.

Positive inspiration & good vibes coming your way,
the Chelsea Management Team

P.S. Our toilets are powerful super flushers made by Kohler, only the best!
Freehold, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

If you want to take a step back in time and enjoy the art deco age with no casino distractions then this is the place for you. I especially enjoyed the decor in the art deco room of black, brown, white and greenish-turquoise velour drapes. The game room area and club had the feel of old time Atlantic City when it was in its glory. Pictures on the wall show of a time gone by showing the former Miss America pageant, etc. I had a groupon and if I could get the same deal, I would go back. I recommend staying in the tower where you can have a nice view of the water and open your window. On the 19th floor, the view of the beach is beautiful. The staff couldn't have been nicer and the bedding and bed were very cushy. One thing I was not in favor with was the Teplitzkys breakfast. It was quite pricey and I would not recommend the pancakes as they were doughy and heavy. Service was just ok for a $50 breakfast for 2. Overall, I would visit again if I could get the tower room as the ones on the lower level appear to be "party rooms."

Room Tip: Upper rooms in the tower and those with a view.
Dear Lisa422,

Thank you for the very kind review you left for us. Our photo collection is courtesy of Vicki Gold Levi; her father Al Gold was Chief Photographer of Atlantic City from 1939 to 1964. Vicki lovingly coauthored a book “Atlantic City, 125 Years of Ocean Madness”, check it out for great stories to go along with those iconic photos. We appreciate all of the great tips for other TA reviewers and hope you return to the Chelsea real soon.

the Chelsea Management Team

Been to The Chelsea? Share your experiences!