“Okay Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 60 hotels in Atlantic City
Princeton, New Jersey
“Okay Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here for the night before catching an early flight out of Atlantic City Airport so my experience of the hotel is limited. We were on the higher floors and had a good view of AC.

We had the most uncomfortable nights sleep we have ever had in a hotel for several reasons. There appeared to be a party going on in the room above us all night and despite calling reception several times, the noise stops for a short while and starts again. Can I blame the hotel for this, really don't know. However the sheets in the beds were the worst i have ever slept on, we ended up taking the top sheet off because it made our body itch, maybe they didn't use any conditioner on this batch. Since we only stayed one night I didn't get a chance to find out whether we were just unlucky.

The hotel building is old but they have done their best to cover this up but this is no 4 or 5 star hotel by any standard, 3.5 probably.

Didn't stay long enough to offer a view on anything else, there is parking in front of the hotel from 7pm to 7am I think, so if you are staying to catch a flight you can park for free otherwise i think nearby car parks are about $15 a day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear aasalako,

Thank you for the review. My sincere apologies, for the noise in the room above you. We take noise complaints very seriously at the Chelsea. Our security team visited the hallway several times to investigate, but each time the room was quiet. I’m sorry we failed during your stay.

Our sheets are laundered by a professional laundry service, while I have never heard this complaint before; we’ll certainly look into this. Thank you for bringing to our attention.

The Chelsea offers valet parking only for $10.00 nightly off-season. In front of the hotel are limited metered spaces monitored by the city from 8am to 11pm year-round. Saturday night public lot fees tend to be above $10, same for the local casinos. Unfortunately free parking does not exist this close to the Boardwalk in Atlantic City. Valet parking is your safest and most economical option. In addition, we do not charge for in and out privileges.

We hope that you will give us another chance when your travels bring you back to AC. Next time skip Priceline and book thru the hotel and we’ll show you the love.

The Chelsea Management Team

1,509 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Middletown, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at The Chelsea on the night of November 24th for my husband's birthday. Got an awesome deal on Priceline.com. The hotel is reminiscent of one of the Art Deco hotels in South Beach Miami. The decor reminds me of Mid-Century Mod. Very sheek.

We were in room 1016, which is on the 10th floor, right off the elevator. The room was very spacious and the decor was simple, modern; again with that Art Deco feel. Large king bed with a white duvet (which seems to be the trend in most hotels lately). The bathroom was clean and had simple decor, but one drawback was the REALLY LOUD flushing toilet. I can understand they want the toilets powerful to flush down whatever gets thrown in there, but boy, it was loud! LOL There was an alarm clock that had an iPod docking station built in. Was able to have some nice "mood" music for the evening.

When we got to our room we put the heater on, but it wasn't blowing out warm air. Called the front desk and in less than 10 minutes, they had a really friendly maintenance guy, Ronny, up there and fixing it. It was no big deal especially since AC was recovering from hurricane Sandy. Had a nice chat with him. It really wasn't any big deal. Got to chat with Ronny while he got the unit warming up.

One other little thing I'll mention is the smoke detector blinks red when the lights are out. If you are sensitive to light (like I am) bring a sleep mask. But again, no big deal.

We had breakfast at the restaurant Teplisky's, which is part of the hotel. Great breakfast. Would have loved to had some spa treatments, but we'll go back again for that!

Overall, it was a very pleasant, yet short stay. Very friendly, accommodating staff.

A personal note: Those who have complained about this place are usually the personalities that will complain about anything & everything. When you put out positive vibes, you get positive results. And yes, there are sometimes when accommodations just do not meet up to your expectations; I get that. Just look for the positive in every situation. Just a little note.

Thank you Chelsea for a nice time!

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, ask for a room that is away from the elevator or stairs. Then you wo...
Dear ChristineJimGubitosi,

As a Contributor here on TA, we thank you very much for your generous review. We’re so glad to hear that our staff, Ronny in particular made your stay more enjoyable. He takes great pride in his job and it will be our pleasure to share your comments with him.

Christine and Jim, we’re so glad you found us and hope that you will return to stay with us again real soon.

Positive inspiration & good vibes coming your way,
the Chelsea Management Team

P.S. Our toilets are powerful super flushers made by Kohler, only the best!
Freehold, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

If you want to take a step back in time and enjoy the art deco age with no casino distractions then this is the place for you. I especially enjoyed the decor in the art deco room of black, brown, white and greenish-turquoise velour drapes. The game room area and club had the feel of old time Atlantic City when it was in its glory. Pictures on the wall show of a time gone by showing the former Miss America pageant, etc. I had a groupon and if I could get the same deal, I would go back. I recommend staying in the tower where you can have a nice view of the water and open your window. On the 19th floor, the view of the beach is beautiful. The staff couldn't have been nicer and the bedding and bed were very cushy. One thing I was not in favor with was the Teplitzkys breakfast. It was quite pricey and I would not recommend the pancakes as they were doughy and heavy. Service was just ok for a $50 breakfast for 2. Overall, I would visit again if I could get the tower room as the ones on the lower level appear to be "party rooms."

Room Tip: Upper rooms in the tower and those with a view.
Dear Lisa422,

Thank you for the very kind review you left for us. Our photo collection is courtesy of Vicki Gold Levi; her father Al Gold was Chief Photographer of Atlantic City from 1939 to 1964. Vicki lovingly coauthored a book “Atlantic City, 125 Years of Ocean Madness”, check it out for great stories to go along with those iconic photos. We appreciate all of the great tips for other TA reviewers and hope you return to the Chelsea real soon.

the Chelsea Management Team
Long Island, New YOrk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My hubby and I spent a night at the Chelsea for our wedding anniversary. We had a Groupon special rate of $109 for a bayview room with king size bed. It was a tremendous value! Check in was SPEEDY! The receptionist saw I had requested synthetic pillows and called for them before I got to the room. In fact, the housekeeper arrived to the room the same time as I did, switched the pillows out and I was good to go. The room is spacious, yet cozy. The ceiling has a paint which sparkles. The decor of the room and of the lobby is very "Miami Fl, Northeast." I called them Fontaine Bleu effects :) There is a flat screen TV, but it is analog. There is an I pod docking system. Towels were fluffy and plentiful. Huge closet space. I wish there had been a room safe. Otherwise, I will definitely return to this hotel in the summer for a weekend trip. The boardwalk along the strip of hotels was not damaged post Hurricane Sandy. Valet parking is $10/day and they took good care of the car. We did not dine in the restaurant. There was a mix of middle aged couples and of folks in their twenties in attendance at this hotel.

Room Tip: A tower room, either bayview or ocean view - high up. We were on the 8th. floor.
Dear Type1Traveler,

Happy Anniversary from all of us at the Chelsea! Thanks for the compliments on the review you just wrote. We appreciate it and hope we can be your home in Atlantic City on your next visit.

The Chelsea Management Team
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Where to start...

There was no working heater in the room! We found that out when we set the heater and the room got freezing cold in the middle of the night. Called down, they wanted to send up an engineer in the middle of the night rather than moving us. How can a 4* hotel not test their heating system in each room before having guests arrive?

Paper thin walls and front door. The stairway door kept on slamming closed all throughout the night. Again, what kind of management/owner doesn't cushion a heavy door's closing? The sound of the heavy stairway door was so loud, our room shook every half hour, throughout the night. A hollow apology from management, one must believe they are aware of the problem but choose not to address it.

Upon checking out, the staff member stumbled to remember to apologize, then came back with "occasionally such situations happen". Given this incompetence, I asked for management. Of course, the manager was aware of this situation, and the hotel should have made sure that a 4* room was operational. But nothing of substance from management, just excuses which concurs with many other negative reviews of this place. The manager made a lame excuse that because the room was prepaid, he could not offer any refund. I was astounded by a hollow offer for breakfast, or, get this, a "discount" on a future stay! Given that I wouldn't advise anyone to stay here, that was a useless gesture.

By the way, the hotel is not located on the boardwalk. There is a Day's Inn situated between the Chelsea and the Boardwalk! From the looks of it, even the Day's Inn would have been a much more pleasant stay.

I'll stop here, though I can go on with more- tired rooms, disengaged night staff, no bathtub, poor furnishings (a 4* place where each lamp has its own light switch, rather than power being centralized? Bottom line, The Chelsea grossly misrepresents itself as a 4* hotel, it is really an overpriced, poorly managed 1 1/2* place at best.

I strongly advise anyone considering this place to stay away. Don't get hooked in by misrepresentative Expedia 4* bargains or seemingly low $* Priceline offers!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Yorikiri_from_nyc,

In researching the issues you note here on TA, please allow me to respond:

1. Mechanics: We would never knowingly assign a room to a guest with a heater that did not work. Our first step is always to send an engineer to see if it’s a quick fix before room changing in the middle of the night, which most guests find a major inconvenience. According to our records, you declined to have an engineer take a look because your daughter was sleeping. We had rooms available and certainly would have moved your room.
2. Location: The Chelsea advertises itself as being “steps from the Boardwalk” the Days Inn property you mention is a four story building along side our parking garage and in no way affects the ocean view from our guestrooms which begin on the 6th floor of the tower.
3. Refund: Normal course of action is to contact the booking agent, in this case Hotwire in regards to a refund since we have no access to what dollar amount you actually paid for the room.
Our guests comfort is our top priority, wish you would have given us a fair opportunity to respond directly. We would have welcomed the chance to review the situation with you as opposed to responding on a TA.

Best regards,
The Chelsea Management
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Had a wonderful time at the Chelsea AC this past summer with my girls. We stayed in a very nice ocean front room and I was amazed by how great the view was. The room was very clean when we first entered we didn't want to mess it up. That night we had fun clubbing at their club c5. The DJ played good music. We were able to return to some of comfiest beds I ever slept in. I almost didn't want to wake up. That morning we had a delightful refreshing breakfast at the hotels Teplitzkys. Service was amazing and I had one of the best waffles. After that we got manicures and pedicures a great start to memorable day. Deifinately will recommend to all my friend and family. Hope to return to the Chelsea soon.

• Stayed August 2012
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Janie F9,

You rock!!! Thanks for taking the time to write a review on us. We love feedback and I will be sure to share your kind words with the hardest working department at the hotel; Housekeeping! We can’t hear it enough about our comfy beds; it sure does make waking up hard. Glad to know you enjoyed our Sea Spa with the girls; now that’s the way to visit with girlfriends! We love making our guests feel special, please come back and stay with us again real soon!

Warmest regards,
The Chelsea Team
Clearwater
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The bedroom and bathroom were clean and the hotel staff were pretty friendly. We were only there for one night so we didn't get to use any of the spa amenities. Room service was also good but pretty expensive - ended up being 25 dollars for one dish with hot chocolate. The hotel was conveniently located right next to Tropicana which allowed us to gamble for a little bit. The boardwalk is right behind the Chelsea making everything very accessible.

The only negatives were that the hotel room doors badly needed touch ups, our shower handle was broken, and the mirror in our room was cracked. Everything functioned fine but this did make it feel like it was a little bit lower quality hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for ocean view
Dear Clwchris,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our rooms, I’m sorry you didn’t get to experience the Sea Spa; relaxing in our hydro social Jacuzzi is a lovely amenity for couples, don’t miss it next time! I always recommend room service; our hot chocolate is $8.00 a pot, equal to four servings, perfect for a chilly fall day. Clwchris, please know that we are continually working to improve our rooms; paint touchups are part of our weekly maintenance program and we recently placed an order for those expensive but lovely shower fixtures (we are disappointed they didn’t last longer, but they certainly are very hi-quality). The mirror must be recent damage, please message me your room number thru TA and I’ll be sure to address.

Should your travels find you back in Atlantic City, we hope you will give us the opportunity to WOW you. We are confident in our abilities to provide the best Boardwalk Hotel stay in AC!

Warmest regards,
The Chelsea Team

Been to The Chelsea? Share your experiences!