“Decent hotel - nothing special though” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 South Chelsea Ave, Atlantic City, NJ 08401   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Atlantic City
Clearwater
“Decent hotel - nothing special though”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The bedroom and bathroom were clean and the hotel staff were pretty friendly. We were only there for one night so we didn't get to use any of the spa amenities. Room service was also good but pretty expensive - ended up being 25 dollars for one dish with hot chocolate. The hotel was conveniently located right next to Tropicana which allowed us to gamble for a little bit. The boardwalk is right behind the Chelsea making everything very accessible.

The only negatives were that the hotel room doors badly needed touch ups, our shower handle was broken, and the mirror in our room was cracked. Everything functioned fine but this did make it feel like it was a little bit lower quality hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for ocean view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Clwchris,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our rooms, I’m sorry you didn’t get to experience the Sea Spa; relaxing in our hydro social Jacuzzi is a lovely amenity for couples, don’t miss it next time! I always recommend room service; our hot chocolate is $8.00 a pot, equal to four servings, perfect for a chilly fall day. Clwchris, please know that we are continually working to improve our rooms; paint touchups are part of our weekly maintenance program and we recently placed an order for those expensive but lovely shower fixtures (we are disappointed they didn’t last longer, but they certainly are very hi-quality). The mirror must be recent damage, please message me your room number thru TA and I’ll be sure to address.

Should your travels find you back in Atlantic City, we hope you will give us the opportunity to WOW you. We are confident in our abilities to provide the best Boardwalk Hotel stay in AC!

The Chelsea Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
Williamstown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Pro: great view from room (partial ocean view)
Con: view obscured by dirty, sandy, smeary windows
Pro: super fluffy towels were abundant in bathroom (definitely were upgraded since my last stay, perhaps they refresh them after each summer? whatever it is! keep it up!)
Con: AC/Heat unit smelled like burning every time it turned on, so rather than smell that awful burnt smell we just turned it off, which then made the temperature not so great but it was better than risking waking up to a small fire
Pro: walking distance to Tropicana via boardwalk
MAJOR Con: took the hotel almost 5 days to credit my charge card back when I used a gift certificate upon check-in (despite the fact that when i booked the room i told them this), and when I got my bill in the morning the gift certificate STILL wasn't applied and I then had to go and wait to see someone at the front desk, and at that point they put ADDITIONAL money as a hold on my card for the incidentals, etc.... you know, i'd be much more likely to spend money AT THE CHELSEA if they didn't have my funds on lockdown for 5-7 business days :(

Room Tip: Luxe tower over the annex EVERY TIME
Dear rutgersjd2009,

Thank you for the very detailed and insightful review regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the view from the room, partial and oceanfront views are the BEST!
Yes, we recently replaced our guestroom towels, thank you for taking notice! I’d like to know what room number you stayed in so that we may address that hvac unit asap, please message me your room number thru TA.

Rutgersjd2009, we appreciate your feedback and are always working to improve. Our sincere apologies for the gift certificate snafu, your concerns will be addressed. We look forward to hearing from you and hope that you visit us again real soon.

Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have stayed at the Chelsea Hotel many times over the past few years and have always liked it better than the Casino Hotels. My past visit this weekend we did notice that some "maintenance items" need some attention such as the carpeting and I also took notice that the windows were very dirty. We booked a "Bay View" room, but got more of a partial ocean and city view. No bay could be seen. The only down side to that is you get woke up in the morning by the sun because the window facing the city view, does not have a shade/curtain that covers that entire window. Other than that, the room was very nice as it usually has been and the front desk and rest of the Hotel staff are great!
However, I really feel the need to mention that the past 2 out of 3 visits to Teplitzky's restaurant downstairs was a very disappointing experience with the same issues every time. The coffee is always warm to cold due to the "carafes" they bring to the table. The food is never hot and the service is not good. The staff always seems like they are not paying attention to their customers. I think they need some more "hands on" management there. I will never eat there again. My suggestion to the Hotel would be to have some complimentary coffee in their lobby for guests in the morning so you don't have to "purchase" coffee at the restaurant.
I would recommend the Hotel, but definitely not Teplitzky's.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Dorothy12,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a detailed review. Please know carpets are typically replaced every 5 to 6 years; however we have been working diligently to replace the carpets in the tower ahead of schedule, same for the sheers. About those windows, you are right, with the recent hurricane and nor’easter, some of our windows are indeed in need of a cleaning, also ahead of schedule. In regards to the Luxe bay view room, some of our guests are surprised by our bay view; being in the city, it does indeed have an urban view and then bay waters. A bonus for rooms on this side of the hotel is watching the sun set below the horizon.

Our hotel staff will be pleased that you were happy with their service and I’ll be sure to discuss the shortfalls in the restaurant. Dorothy 12, your feedback is valued and allows us to get better. Thank you for recommending us here on TA, we look forward to seeing you again real soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

There were older carpets with stains on the floor. The windows was dirty and haven't been cleaned in a long time. That really took away from the great view. Bathroom has been renovated recently and looks nice. Good for young people going to a concert.

• Stayed November 2012
ExecOffice01, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Steve-review,

Thank you for your feedback – carpets are typically replaced every 5 to 6 years, however we have been working diligently to replace the carpets in the tower ahead of schedule as needed. About those windows, yeah you are right, with the recent hurricane and nor’easter, some of our windows are indeed in need of a cleaning ahead of schedule; please know we’re “on it”! Thank you however, for being fair and also writing about some of the good things; our bathrooms are beautiful, we’re glad you noticed.

Please try us again, we are confident in our abilities to provide a beautiful hotel and wonderful getaway!

All the best,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just stayed at the Chelsea this past weekend. Checking in was quick and easy. Sal at the front desk couldn't have been more helpful. The room was clean and very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great place to stay in AC. Can't wait to go back there.

Room Tip: Recommend the luxe rooms.
Dear Mr. B,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit here at the Chelsea Hotel in Atlantic City. We love reading positive reviews, especially when they are about the staff! Thanks for giving Sal a shout out and for recommending us here on TripAdvisor! We can’t wait to have you back!

The Chelsea Team!
broken bow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This will always be my first stop when I come back!!! My group arrived right after the hurricane on business and we were taken care of the whole time. It was such a hectic time put the front desk and everyone else was always friendly and helpful no matter how basic the question I wish I didn't have to leave but I'm looking forward to coming back.

Cole Tierney
Broken Bow NE

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Cole T,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a generous review! It was our sincere pleasure to check-in all 125 rooms that evening, no sweat! You are the reason that we are here, so we will do whatever it takes to make your stay as seamless as possible. Cole, we realize that travelling for business is never an easy thing, and it is tough to be far away from home. Thanks for making the Chelsea your home away from home; we sincerely hope to see you again!

NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really liked this hotel. We arrived a few hours before check in time and it wasn't a big deal we were able to get our room. Loved the decor; the retro/modern feel. Loved how the hallways have this dark old school look...made me feel like i was in a horror movie which was exciting lol. Stayed in one of the suites and the room was fabulous; very bright and clean. Really no complaints other than I wish there was a microwave. Room service was excellent and staff overall were friendly. The water pressure for the shower was low for my taste but not too bad; maybe they're trying to conserve. The king size bed was soooooooo comfy!! They were really crowded that weekend so waiting for valet to bring the car usually took some time but everyone was so courteous there was really no need to complain. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Francesca S, Manager at The Chelsea, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Mika Nicole,

Thank you very much for your kind remarks on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay here at the Chelsea. Our team will be thrilled that you commented on how friendly our staff was to you during your stay. We love that you “get” our old school style in the hallways, thanks for taking notice! We look forward to having you back real soon.

Warmest regards, Francesca

Been to The Chelsea? Share your experiences!